Terminator newb, mod advice needed...

BigRobSS

Established Member
Hey guys, I'm a fairly new Terminator owner and I absolutely love this thing. Got my hands on a car I've wanted since they came out, an 03 SB Cobra. I've owned fox body's and plenty of LS cars but I'm looking for advice on the next few mods as this is foreign territory for me.

Current performance mods are 2.93 billet flow pulley with idler set, K&N drop in filter, Steeda cat back and remote tune from mile high. The car also has a MGW short throw, MM subframe's, CC plates and coilovers. I put drag radials on for some a little grip but with all the fast cars here I'm wanting to step up the game a little and have fun this summer. With all my Mustang hating friends I don't want to be left in the dust lol. Car only has 30k miles and I'm not looking for a race car, cruiser for myself, wife and kids. I've been driving it and getting used to the feel and enjoying it but here's what I was thinking along with the few mods on the car.

JLT intake
6lb lower pulley
Off road X (no emissions in Michigan)
Tune dialed in locally (lots of badass local tuners aka Lidio,Don Walsh)

Any other recommendations?

I don't have the money for an upgraded blower yet but plan on it in the future. Maybe a ported blower too since they can be had fairly cheap?

Thanks for any advice and help(pics included)!
952fb850af8e4746671a750ae704c99f.jpg
a75525ae5340be520ce2144b336c8ba4.jpg
ab70fe9e56dcdeec8fa4d0e930d17aef.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

EB85

Established Member
If it were my car I would go with mid of choice, skip the 6lb lower and go to a 4lb, and look into a port. Everyone says the port/2.93/4lb lower is the Eaton Sweet Spot. Just watch because you might be pushing duty cycle by that point so a BAP or pump and injectors should be considered for a possible addition.

BigRobSS

Established Member
If it were my car I would go with mid of choice, skip the 6lb lower and go to a 4lb, and look into a port. Everyone says the port/2.93/4lb lower is the Eaton Sweet Spot. Just watch because you might be pushing duty cycle by that point so a BAP or pump and injectors should be considered for a possible addition.

This is the kind of info I'm looking for, I appreciate the feedback. Keep the info coming! Wouldn't a good cold air intake be worth it as well over the K&N drop in filter? Thanks again.

KyleSVT

Terminated
Established Member
Congrats! Welcome! Before someone comes in here and rips ur face off for saying "termi" just use the word terminator :) Oh and suspension mods ftw! Seriously tho they make the car so much better. You can check out my build on here or my YouTube channel for Ideas. Very happy I did them. Brakes are next for me . Enjoy your car! :beer:

Last edited:

BigRobSS

Established Member
Congrats! Welcome! Before someone comes in here and rips ur face off for saying "termi" just use the word terminator :) Oh and suspension mods ftw! Seriously tho they make the car so much better. You can check out my build on here or my YouTube channel for Ideas. Very happy I did them. Brakes are next for me . Enjoy your car! :beer:

Cool, thanks for the heads up...I edited my wording lol. I appreciate the reply! Nice vids by the way!

Last edited:

KLLR SNK

Established Member
I would contact member cj428mach for one of his 4lb caged lower conversion kits, he has only a few remaining. Be aware that making back to back runs the upper/lower setup can heat up the stock Eaton quickly and cause the ECM to pull timing. I wouldn't run a 6lb lower unless the car was used mostly for track racing. With a lower you may need a MAF or MAFia and/or a BAP, your tuner is your best guide for those decisions. As EB85 suggested, look into a ported blower or port your stock unit and add 60lb or 80lb injectors so you are not on the edge of the oem's. Btw, that is not a K&N drop in filter it is a K&N FIPK so I wouldn't buy the JLT CAI because there will not be that big of hp difference, I would spend the money elsewhere.

For more information you can read cj428mach's thread here http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...inging-the-4lb-Caged-lower-back-from-the-Dead

Awesome ride!

Last edited:

2004cobra615

sssvtsnake
Established Member
beautiful car.
How new is the car? if you haven't had it that long i wouldn't do much for the first few months or at least a summer... You are bound to run into a problem or something that needs to be addressed. (My brakes needed some attention first...). if you already know you are going to do a bigger big blower in the long run start figuring out a parts list and slowly start acquiring things. set a power goal and look around on the site at the different ways to get there. Dont over look brakes and suspension!!!!

BigRobSS

Established Member
I would contact member cj428mach for one of his 4lb caged lower conversion kits, he has only a few remaining. Be aware that making back to back runs the upper/lower setup can heat up the stock Eaton quickly and cause the ECM to pull timing. I wouldn't run a 6lb lower unless the car was used mostly for track racing. With a lower you may need a MAF or MAFia and/or a BAP, your tuner is your best guide for those decisions. As EB85 suggested, look into a ported blower or port your stock unit and add 60lb or 80lb injectors so you are not on the edge of the oem's.

For more information you can read cj428mach's thread here http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...inging-the-4lb-Caged-lower-back-from-the-Dead

Thanks man, I'll check out the 4lb lower. I appreciate the info!

BigRobSS

Established Member
beautiful car.
How new is the car? if you haven't had it that long i wouldn't do much for the first few months or at least a summer... You are bound to run into a problem or something that needs to be addressed. (My brakes needed some attention first...). if you already know you are going to do a bigger big blower in the long run start figuring out a parts list and slowly start acquiring things. set a power goal and look around on the site at the different ways to get there. Dont over look brakes and suspension!!!!

Thanks man, I love the car. Got it maybe 2 months ago? It's pretty basic for now and I just want a little more out of it for this summer or possibly next summer too. When I can afford to go big and do it right I'll do a blower swap. I'm sure a few things will need addressing, that's always the case but I've went through the car and everything is pretty solid for now. Mid pipe, intake, pulley and retune I'm hoping can give it a little more growl and some bite. If I come across a good deal on a ported blower that might be something I'd be able to afford now too but I don't want to push it too far and cause the snowball effect this early if possible.

badjuicedgt

Established Member
Good looking car man,I love the wheels what kind are they.My car has the chrome fr500 wheels and they really don't do anything for me they aren't bad but wouldn't be my first choice and since they were on the car when I got it that's how it has stayed.Where in Michigan are you from I am up in Carleton every week and in Monroe too.I live in defiance ohio about an hour from Toledo.

Last edited:

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
Assuming you have access to e85, you could do injectors and a bap + new tune for now. I would also drop down to a 2.76 pulley and skip doing a lower. That should be good for a real 30 or so rwhp, maybe more since you just have a canned\remote tune. You can also have the tuner bump up the intake temp threshold for pulling timing since it's on e85 and not really high boost. That will go a long way towards keep it pulling hard after a few WOT runs. If you buy some good injectors now that will be one major part towards a big blower setup.

Edit - No need for a different intake, but that filter looks like it could use a good cleaning. You can pick up a K&N cleaning kit at the auto stores. The stock intake tube is more than enough at your power level and even higher. I'm still running it at 600hp.

Last edited:

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
Assuming you have access to e85, you could do injectors and a bap + new tune for now. I would also drop down to a 2.76 pulley and skip doing a lower. That should be good for a real 30 or so rwhp, maybe more since you just have a canned\remote tune. You can also have the tuner bump up the intake temp threshold for pulling timing since it's on e85 and not really high boost. That will go a long way towards keep it pulling hard after a few WOT runs. If you buy some good injectors now that will be one major part towards a big blower setup.

Edit - No need for a different intake, but that filter looks like it could use a good cleaning. You can pick up a K&N cleaning kit at the auto stores. The stock intake tube is more than enough at your power level and even higher. I'm still running it at 600hp.

Hold on a minute not to thread Jack you OP. Your saying I could get a BAP and bigger injectors and run E85? With no fuel pump upgrade? For my 2.76 unported eaton. Think it would be worth it?

BigRobSS

Established Member
Good looking car man,I love the wheels what kind are they.My car has the chrome fr500 wheels and they really don't do anything for me they aren't bad but wouldn't be my first choice and since they were on the car when I got it that's how it has stayed.Where in Michigan are you from I am up in Carleton every week and in Monroe too.I live in defiance ohio about an hour from Toledo.
Thanks man, I'm in the clarkston/Waterford area. Southeast Michigan about an hour north of Detroit. The wheels are SSR GT3's.

That sounds like a good setup to me. I know the filter is dirty but I really like the clean and simple like the the JLT intake mounted in the fender well. Going to order it paint matched and I'm sure that will be a few ponies as well as IAT's. E85 is pretty plentiful around here and a lot of guys run it. I'm all for it if it's worth it. I just thought the car would be a little quicker than it is so I'm already itching for a little more.
nice car, congrats and enjoy! :beer:
Thank you sir!

EB85

Established Member
That sounds like a good setup to me. I know the filter is dirty but I really like the clean and simple like the the JLT intake mounted in the fender well. Going to order it paint matched and I'm sure that will be a few ponies as well as IAT's. E85 is pretty plentiful around here and a lot of guys run it. I'm all for it if it's worth it. I just thought the car would be a little quicker than it is so I'm already itching for a little more.

Going to corn over pump will net you some good gains but it also definitely requires a custom tune and fuel upgrades. It just depends if you do a BAP and MAF or go a little further with pump, injectors, so on and so on. But with a solid tune and supporting mods you can bump timing, run more boost safely, have lower IAT's. The only real downside is the little gas mileage you get gets thrown out the window and it costs some $$$ to get properly set up for it.

cj428mach

Established Member
Hold on a minute not to thread Jack you OP. Your saying I could get a BAP and bigger injectors and run E85? With no fuel pump upgrade? For my 2.76 unported eaton. Think it would be worth it?

I'm pretty sure you can get by with just a BAP, MAF and injectors for e85 on a pullied eaton. There was a local kid that tried it but ended up selling the car, I believe he had internal motor issues so he sold the car. His username here was sushistrip, if you do a search maybe you can find his posts about going e85.

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
I'm pretty sure you can get by with just a BAP, MAF and injectors for e85 on a pullied eaton. There was a local kid that tried it but ended up selling the car, I believe he had internal motor issues so he sold the car. His username here was sushistrip, if you do a search maybe you can find his posts about going e85.

Ok I'll have to check into that. I've had people tell me I would have to get at least GT pumps as well. I eventually want a VMP TVS. But who knows maybe I'll start with doing a fuel system first. It will be a little while though. Just curious if I'd see any benefits going E85 on a pullied eaton. Local speedway just started carrying E85.

Skitzerman

NE Philly
Established Member
That is a bad ass Sonic Blue. Keep the 2.93 upper pulley. Get yourself a ported blower, 60 lb injectors, 4lb lower, SCT BA2600 MAF, KB BAP w/wiring upgrade and some DR's. Then get a tune and enjoy tearing up the streets with your reliable 500rwhp. Any upgrades on a stock blower will bring on massive heat soak. Welcome to the madness and have fun.

apex svt

MEAN STREAK
Established Member
That is a bad ass Sonic Blue. Keep the 2.93 upper pulley. Get yourself a ported blower, 60 lb injectors, 4lb lower, SCT BA2600 MAF, KB BAP w/wiring upgrade and some DR's. Then get a tune and enjoy tearing up the streets with your reliable 500rwhp. Any upgrades on a stock blower will bring on massive heat soak. Welcome to the madness and have fun.

Agreed! I don't think a caged pulley is necessary, my car has had a non caged since 03 and its still perfect. 60's are a good idea if you plan to build for the future but not needed in most cases for a ported pullied eaton. As a side note for above I'm 97% sure that stock cobra pumps aren't e85 compatible therefore you would need to bump up to the walboro 255's at a minimum to run the corn. Great looking car op, the snake in the grill is backwards compared to mine though??

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
Ok I'll have to check into that. I've had people tell me I would have to get at least GT pumps as well. I eventually want a VMP TVS. But who knows maybe I'll start with doing a fuel system first. It will be a little while though. Just curious if I'd see any benefits going E85 on a pullied eaton. Local speedway just started carrying E85.

It's been posted by a few people on here that have done it successfully. A BAP only is enough to support pump gas setups to low 600's, so supporting 500 on corn is completely doable assuming the 30% corn rule. Ported blower, maybe not - but unported + 2.76 has been done. The guy I've talked to a few years ago about it was making 480/495 on the same Mustang dyno my car was tuned on. My car on that dyno on 93oct with a 2.76 upper only unported made 448/459 (old setup). You can also up the iat2 threshold for timing to pull since you have the fuel to combat detonation. That part is not really standard protocol, but people have posted doing it and the logic seems sound to me.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread