Tesla Model 3 Spotted Testing Prototype

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
No reason to hate the car. If it is not your cup of tea, its not your cup of tea.

Lol @ the guy that gets pissed at his car for his failure to charge it. Lmaoooo....

72MachOne99GT

Established Member
Premium Member
My wife and I aren't in a metropolitan area per say, but a few miles from a city that I'm sure will have plenty of charging stations.

99.9% of our trips would fall in its range as well, including the return.

Having said that, I don't foresee buying one.

And having said that...I'm not going to give anyone shit for it either. Nissan Leaf, Volt, random hybrids, Teslas... not my bag of interest, but **** me if I'm going to bash someone for wanting to use less gas.

bb83

I like gays
Established Member
The problem is you have to live your life around charging your car, vs filling completely, in under 10 minutes, at any time, anywhere. Plenty of people drive around until the gas light comes on. Of course they don't run out because it is so quick and easy to get 100% driving range back.

Feel sad for the person that has such a structured boring life that they have 20 minutes to sit around waiting to fuel up a car, and not when THEY felt like doing it too (HAS to be done every night, just in case).

And we haven't even touched on plugging in vs where I am going to park. In my original home town, my old street, google maps shows 17 cars on the street, which is less than 1/8 mile long. All of those houses have a choice of garages, driveways, and street parking. Parents still live there with 3 cars. Now if they are all electric (inevitable, as they will be eventually forced on all of us), do I need 2 sets of outlets? (assume 3rd car is for pleasure only). Do I need outlets on both sides of the car in case I want to park head in most nights, but head out the other? (I had big package in car one night, and wanted trunk close to house that night). I don't want cables that could run around one side of the car, as getting into that habit in winter could be disastrous. Following a night of 8" snow and you would have 1000's that electrocute themselves by chopping up cables with snow blowers (or even shovels).

It's not anxiety, it's just common sense that electric car lovers haven't even begun to think out. Can't wait for self driving cars that malfunction and drove off plugged in to a 440 outlet.

This.

rdrkt

Established Member
^ That is just stupid. Street parking isn't the target market. And the plug location isn't a real concern either. In certain markets you can get a Nissan leaf for $70/month. How could you not want that?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

2000gt4.6

Established Member
The problem is you have to live your life around charging your car, vs filling completely, in under 10 minutes, at any time, anywhere. Plenty of people drive around until the gas light comes on. Of course they don't run out because it is so quick and easy to get 100% driving range back.

Feel sad for the person that has such a structured boring life that they have 20 minutes to sit around waiting to fuel up a car, and not when THEY felt like doing it too (HAS to be done every night, just in case).

And we haven't even touched on plugging in vs where I am going to park. In my original home town, my old street, google maps shows 17 cars on the street, which is less than 1/8 mile long. All of those houses have a choice of garages, driveways, and street parking. Parents still live there with 3 cars. Now if they are all electric (inevitable, as they will be eventually forced on all of us), do I need 2 sets of outlets? (assume 3rd car is for pleasure only). Do I need outlets on both sides of the car in case I want to park head in most nights, but head out the other? (I had big package in car one night, and wanted trunk close to house that night). I don't want cables that could run around one side of the car, as getting into that habit in winter could be disastrous. Following a night of 8" snow and you would have 1000's that electrocute themselves by chopping up cables with snow blowers (or even shovels).

It's not anxiety, it's just common sense that electric car lovers haven't even begun to think out. Can't wait for self driving cars that malfunction and drove off plugged in to a 440 outlet.

All that planning...like plugging it in in under 20 seconds when you come home....wtf?

If its all about time spent "filling" the car, by any measure you will be spending more time at the pump than the outlet, unless you are taking long trips constantly...and in that case it isn't the right car for you. 10-15 minutes a week 52 weeks a year vs the twice or three times a year you fill outside your home...who you feeling sorry for now?

I don't have a choice when to fill up my gas car...when the tanks dry you fill it up. And in 99 percent of the cases you will be filling up a electric at home. It's really an argument that it's a hassle to NOT go to a gas station, potentially be robbed/shot, and have to deal with any nonsense going on there vs your home? Plus pay more for the same mileage? Comeon .

You don't run a cable outside. It's in the garage. Once again, if your too poor to afford a garage you can't afford an electric car now anyway. And I cannot believe you actually made the argument it's gonna be a hassle to park the same way every night. I am totally anal about parking my cars in my garage (vs outside) and in 13+ years of owning a home with a garage have never backed in (never) ...but it's really a big deal to unload and then pull back in?

You are truely grasping at imaginary straws. The majority of the population is not driving over 200 miles per day, or even two days, or three. In my case I could safely take the lowest range Tesla (3, at 215 miles) to work and back 5 days and still have 15 miles range...

And majority is the entire point too.. for the majority of people you will spend less time "filling" the car, spend less money on the "fuel" and never worry about the range as long as you don't forget to plug I in multiple days in a row. No doubt you can point out a real person, or come up with an imaginary situation where it won't work.. but for the majority it will.

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member

this is what its like to own a CNG vehicle (100% cng). my wife commuted to work in a cng civic. had to fill it up every other day. the nearest station to our home was about 10 minutes away. some times the pumps werent working or there were cars in line. took about 10 minutes to fill it up. maybe a little less. the bigger issue was filling it up near her work. there's a few stations but they were often filled with garbage trucks and city busses and if you can imagine how long it takes to fill those up if it takes almost 10 minutes to fill a civic. her co-worker has one now. he ran out of gas. you have to have the car towed to the near cng station lol. they cant bring you a can of cng like they can gasoline. we bought that car in SF. believe it or not there are only a few stations in that whole city (at least then) and they are on opposite sides of town. drove to one, low on gas, and the pump wasnt working. called the hotline on the pump and they said a technician would be there in a few hours. so we drove, on fumes (literally) across SF to hit the other station and we made it. then drove pch home and baaarely made it to the next station. on downhills i put the car in neutral and just let it coast. that car got 200 miles between fill ups.
and about a glove box sized trunk.

we sold it for $500 less than we paid for it though. after she put about 60k on it lol.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
It probably won't be another 5 years before they get double the range out of them.

OX1

Established Member
You don't run a cable outside.

You just lost most of the population then. Many with even 2 car garages
have it full of lawn equip, kids toys, left over crap from kitchen remodeling
(that the contractor left for 2 weeks and you can't get him to come get it).

Most of my arguments are just real world observations about how cars are used in general and the laziness of people (and how annoyed they are when they have to do some extra step, like parking their car twice to unload a package, when they have never had to do that in a non electric, for 20 odd years).

If you want to maintain this is a niche market vehicle for only rich people, always park in a garage, always have a second car, never forget to plug in,
never take an unplanned 100 mile round trip (the night of their 100 mile commute), OK. Not sure that was Tesla's plan though

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
American Commute Distance (One Way) Percent
1-5 Miles 29 %
6-10 Miles 22 %
11-15 Miles 17 %
16-20 Miles 10 %
21-25 Miles 7 %
26-30 Miles 5 %
31-35 Miles 3 %
35 + Miles 8 %
http://www.statisticbrain.com/commute-statistics/

There is an enormous market for a car like this.

For a lot of people who don't have spontaneous trips, this is a 1 per week charge vs every night.

2000gt4.6

Established Member
You're*

Also, you know how many people tha buy cars costomg more than this thing do not have a garage? C'mon LOL

Thanks grammar police.

Maybe it's different in major cities...I don't know anyone that can afford a 40k car (buying new) without a garage. I've had 2 places of residence since I left college w/o garages...my first two apartments. And I could have rented a place with covered parking/garages then as well..and I couldn't have afforded to buy a 40k car when I lived in either.

I suppose you could have an outside charger, although I have yet to see one. But once again it's a percentage thing, and a huge percentage of the population that can afford a 40k, or 100k for current on sale models, car also has a garage. Gotta be well in the 90 percent range everywhere except people who live in major city centers.

You just lost most of the population then. Many with even 2 car garages
have it full of lawn equip, kids toys, left over crap from kitchen remodeling
(that the contractor left for 2 weeks and you can't get him to come get it).

Most of my arguments are just real world observations about how cars are used in general and the laziness of people (and how annoyed they are when they have to do some extra step, like parking their car twice to unload a package, when they have never had to do that in a non electric, for 20 odd years).

If you want to maintain this is a niche market vehicle for only rich people, always park in a garage, always have a second car, never forget to plug in,
never take an unplanned 100 mile round trip (the night of their 100 mile commute), OK. Not sure that was Tesla's plan though

I'm maintaining that the "inconveniences" you are talking about are either made up nonsense or very minor. People are worried about having to park the same direction every night? (On a side note, in my entire life I have never seen anyone park backwards into the garage, ever). Only "rich" people have a garage and park in it? Really?

And is it so hard to believe that many people do not have all these spontaneous days of 200+ mile drives constantly? And that they have more than two cars? And that they might clean out the garage and park in there if it meant huge savings on fuel costs (at 8 cents a kwh it's a big savings here)?

All of these conditions apply to me, I could easily own an electric without it causing me anything but minimal inconvenience (at best). I am not rich, could swing a 40k car payment, have a 3 car garage I can (and do for me) park in, have more than one car, dont make long trips in car constantly, and am not so stupid I cannot remember to plug something in once a day.

All of these, except for the afford a 40k payment, apply to all of my friends/family who are say 30+ years old. This list of "requirements" does not seem like a very exclusive club to me.

And that's the point you apparently cannot grasp. Can you come up with a scenario where the car would not work for someone? Yes. But a vast majority of the population buying a 40k car could buy a Tesla or other electric and with minimal hassle have it work perfectly fine as a daily driver.

Users who are viewing this thread