Test for coils COP?

olgreydog7

Jaded
Established Member
Anyone know how to test these? I started getting a popping at partial to full throttle occasionally and sometimes I can feel a hesitation and then it smooths out and the power comes back. I think it has to be the ignition.

gt347mustang

Established Member
while the car is running, pull each coil off the plug and youll hear it sparking... once you pull a few off you will know what they should sound like.

if one doesnt make a noise, its bad or its not getting power from the harness.

SlowSVT

Established Member
while the car is running, pull each coil off the plug and youll hear it sparking... once you pull a few off you will know what they should sound like.

if one doesnt make a noise, its bad or its not getting power from the harness.

Yea but he's saying it happens "occasionally at part to full throttle". I don't think that will happen when the car is in neutral :uh oh: and there won't be a load on the engine which might be needed to manifest the problem.

Is that an accepted practice pulling the COP off when it's running? Not knowing I would be concerned because there is a big build-up of voltage in the coil which will need to discharge once the power feed gets cut to trigger the spark and the path without being tied to engine ground may not be desirable. Again this may not be a problem but I don't know :shrug:

SlowSVT

Established Member
Anyone know how to test these? I started getting a popping at partial to full throttle occasionally and sometimes I can feel a hesitation and then it smooths out and the power comes back. I think it has to be the ignition.

I may also be a bad sensor throwing off the fuel injection but the first place I would look is the ignition. A hand held OBD II monitor may be useful here. I dread intermittent problems. Sometimes it's better for the part to fail completely as long as it happens in your garage :nonono: Put a mechanic in the seat next to you and the problem disappears as if magic :dw:

Users who are viewing this thread