Texas - Good ocean vacation spots?

rust0r

Established Member
Looking to head down with a few friends to the Texas Mile in March (26-28), thinking of making it a little extended and enjoy a few days on the beach either before or after given how close the even is to the coast (1-2hrs) but being from Canada :)banana:), we aren't at all familiar with the hot spots around there.

We aren't looking for much, just want to chill on the beach, swim in the ocean and enjoy the warm weather (I'm assuming come the end of march it's nice enough down there to chill on the beach/hit up the ocean?)

Event is held in Goliad, TX, so really anywhere along the coast we are willing to drive in order to spend a few days there.

Looking for suggestion on places on the coast to check out and what kind of weather we can expect around that time, thanks guys!

HYBRED

That Just Happened
Established Member
We went to South Padre Island for Spring Break one year, the weather was nice (low 70s) but it was way too cold for water/beach activity.

rust0r

Established Member
We went to South Padre Island for Spring Break one year, the weather was nice (low 70s) but it was way too cold for water/beach activity.

What month was that ? I'm just looking at average temps for March and it could be hit or miss apparently. I take it you'll be attending the mile this year again ?

HYBRED

That Just Happened
Established Member
What month was that ? I'm just looking at average temps for March and it could be hit or miss apparently. I take it you'll be attending the mile this year again ?

Yes I will, and SB is mid March IIRC. Looking it up, Galveston avg temps for March are lows in the 50s and highs around 70. It'll be nice weather, but the water will be frigid. Not really sure it'd be worth the drive.

Last spring's Mile was in the high 60s with about a 30 mph wind. Not the best time, to be honest. If you haven't planned anything concrete, I would recommend waiting till the fall Mile. Weather was absolutely gorgeous. Of course, it's Texas, so for all I know it could snow.

http://www.weather.com/outlook/recr...aph/USTX1281?from=tenDay_bottomnav_undeclared

Last edited:

rust0r

Established Member
Yes I will, and SB is mid March IIRC. Looking it up, Galveston avg temps for March are lows in the 50s and highs around 70. It'll be nice weather, but the water will be frigid. Not really sure it'd be worth the drive.

Last spring's Mile was in the high 60s with about a 30 mph wind. Not the best time, to be honest. If you haven't planned anything concrete, I would recommend waiting till the fall Mile. Weather was absolutely gorgeous. Of course, it's Texas, so for all I know it could snow.

Average Weather for South Padre Island, TX - Temperature and Precipitation

Ah, that kind of blows the swimming plans then I guess haha. We would have came in the fall but my school exams always fall during the weekend of the event unfortunately.

We would be coming from sub 30 degree canadian weather, so high 60's will almost feel like summer at that point.

Just looking at the Spring 09 pictures right now and everyone looks VERY wind blown.

Is there anything else to do in that area/1 hour drive of it around that time of year? I wouldn't mind spending a few extra days, but it sounds like the coast is better suited for the fall event.

HYBRED

That Just Happened
Established Member
First off, for Mile, the best hotels are in Beeville (the event is not actually in Goliad, it's in Goliad County) You're about 2 hrs from Corpus Christi, where you can at least see the ocean, even if swimming might be out of the question...but, you may be able to do some fishing. San Antonio is 2.5 hrs away, and there's historical stuff to do there (Alamo etc). 3.5 hrs puts you in central Houston, where there are bars and clubs and stuff, as well as museums.

txyaloo

Established Member
Looking to head down with a few friends to the Texas Mile in March (26-28), thinking of making it a little extended and enjoy a few days on the beach either before or after given how close the even is to the coast (1-2hrs) but being from Canada :)banana:), we aren't at all familiar with the hot spots around there.

We aren't looking for much, just want to chill on the beach, swim in the ocean and enjoy the warm weather (I'm assuming come the end of march it's nice enough down there to chill on the beach/hit up the ocean?)

Event is held in Goliad, TX, so really anywhere along the coast we are willing to drive in order to spend a few days there.

Looking for suggestion on places on the coast to check out and what kind of weather we can expect around that time, thanks guys!

Texas isn't known for its great beaches. South Padre Island is the closest you're going to get to a "great beach" in Texas with semi-blue water, but it's quite a ways from Goliad.

There isn't much to do in Goliad either. There is a war memorial dedicated to the people killed in the "Goliad Massacre" which is interesting if you're somewhat interested in history.

Goliad Massacre

Kat covered the other stuff in the area. Since you'll be down here around Spring Break, the beaches will be crowded. Many years the sargassum starts to come in during March as well which means they can be somewhat dirty in a natural way. I don't think the water is too cold in March, but I have a high cold tolerance.

Also, if you're in to fishing, several charters run from Port Aransas out to the oil rigs.

Texas is a big state. It takes over 18 hours to drive from the north border to the south and over 13hrs to cover the state east to west. I wouldn't limit yourself to 1hr drives.

Last edited:

ampstang

Nobody F's w/ a Lion
Established Member
Give thanks to the Mississippi for turning our beach water brown. There were two days out of the year when I lived in Galveston that the water was actually blue. Port Aransas had the bluest of water I've seen in Texas. S. Padre was decent too.

Users who are viewing this thread