The 1994-2004 GT500 Brake Adapter Thread.

TT91

So Slow
Established Member
no progress, the machinist has other "problems" and isnt working. I have since sold my car so I have no more test dummy.

CEE1NG_RED

Established Member
Let us know if the machinist made a set... 006(KEN) can test these and let you know. He is very knowledgable about suspension and an honest person/businessman.

wheelhopper

Established Member
It is a shame to just toss the 2 piston PBRs to the side. Maybe we can find a way to fit the 13" front brakes to the rear. Anyone looked at doing this?

racebronco2

Established Member
It is a shame to just toss the 2 piston PBRs to the side. Maybe we can find a way to fit the 13" front brakes to the rear. Anyone looked at doing this?

But then you won't have the emergency brakes. I can't remember where i say they used a bracket to re-locate the rear calipers so that we can use the same rotor front and rear.

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
http://www.steeda.com/products/rear_brake_upgrade.php

If you have a solid rear for a GT or can get the brake bracket from the GT, I believe this is the upgrade kit to make the brakes either Cobra sized or 13". Contact steeda for more info.

http://www.stage3motorsports.com/pr...Complete_Front_Rear_Brake_Kit__Clearance.html

Here is a Roush full brake kit that has adapters to make the rear brakes fit a 13" rotor. Again, this would be for a GT rear brake setup and probably wouldn't work on Cobras.

If TT91 is still around, someone should PM him and get the CAD file of that bracket. I'm sure if you take it to anyplace with a CNC, they should be able to make it for pretty cheap. If there is a big interest in these, I may know someone who can do it.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
So if I'm reading this correctly,
The 4 piston Brembo calipers used on the GT500 have a different bolt pattern than the 2000 Cobra R 4 piston Brembo(which is the same as the original 2 piston PBR Cobra calipers).
Does anyone make a caliper to spindle adapter, for a 14" rotor, for those of us who already have 4 piston Y2K-R Brembos???

It would be the same as adapting a 14" rotor to the stock PBRs, so mock up would be pretty easy I would think.

I think there may be a few takers in the open track/road race arena.

A Coleman(or other) 2 piece Aluminum hat rotor set up could help keep rotating weight down a little.

Am I the only one who has inquired about this?:shrug:

wheelhopper

Established Member
Jimmy, if you sent a Y2K rotor to Coleman, I am sure they could make it for you in a 14" size. Then the only thing you would need to fab would be a bracket to raise the caliper away from the spindle another 1/2". That can't be that hard. maybe use a 1/2" or 5/8" piece of mild steel flat stock and have the holes in it threaded to bolt everything in place. Some lock washers and locktite should keep everything in place. You would just have to keep an eye on your adapter for a while to make sure nothing funny/dangerous was happening.

This is how my Coleman calipers are attached to my stock spindle.

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
Doug, the only problem with that is I'm sure the spindle would get in the way of the adapter or bolts when you are trying to space it out only 1/2". The clearance issues with spindle or rotor material around the original holes would probably prevent everything from fitting correctly.

03'Darin

Established Member
Did anyone ever get in contact with TT91? I am buying a set of the GT500 brakes and need the adapters. I would rather buy some already made than have to figure them out.

HI-OCTANE

Established Member
Did anyone ever get in contact with TT91? I am buying a set of the GT500 brakes and need the adapters. I would rather buy some already made than have to figure them out.

There is a company called Vintage Venom that sells adapters for using gt500 brakes. I saw an ad for them in the 5.0 mustang magazine.

HI-OCTANE

Established Member

The wheels I have on my GT are the same saleen style wheels TT91 used. The offset difference between my wheels and 05-up wheels is about 16mm, so would a half inch spacer between the brake rotors and the wheels fix the offset? Will this setup be safe (a small spacer is already used with the Vintage kit between the rotors and the front spindle)?

TT91

So Slow
Established Member
Ill see what paper work I can find. Im not in the mustang scene anymore. Give me a few days.

Users who are viewing this thread