The 60,000 Mile Report.

03SoCalCobra

HIGH PSI 03
Established Member
Huntington Beach, CA (h), Culver City (w)
The 2003 Cobra just rolled over 60,000 miles on May 25th. I got the car June 26th, 2002, it's #145. With an 85+ mile per day commute I try offsetting mileage on the 03 by driving the LX (plus the auto is better for LA traffic), but when you walk out the door on a sunny morning and look at both options :dw: I become... weak... :pepper: :burnout:

In nearly 3 years, I've had:

Rear end clunk
The tick
Leaking differential (twice)
Bad alternator (twice)
Seat rub
Bad TOB
Bad 3rd brake light
The stalling problem (mysteriously went away after CAI & exhaust installed)
2 shattered fog lights (rocks)
Paint defect (little too much metalic in one spot, hard to notice, looks like a birth mark :)
Stuck CD in Mach 460 (stick credit card in slot while cd ejecting, pops right out).
New clutch & pressure plate
Cracked TOB retainer (TSB covered labor & almost all parts costs for retainer, TOB, PP, flywheel and part of the clutch).
Spark plug blown out of the head (TimeSert fixed).

I haven't had: The vibe, broken input shaft, tranny, half shafts, CV joints, or bad wheel bearings.

Considering the power level (474hp) and length of time (all mods since ~22k miles), number of races (~30+ track & way over 100+ street & fwy) and total investment (~ $38k), there are very few other cars that'll go as fast, with as much additional potential for as little cost and effort.

The right combinations of parts, one weekend in the garage at home with nothing more than hand tools and you can have a full-weight 10 second daily driver. :beer:

4.6modular

The Learning SVT Poster
Established Member
Awesome. At the power levels these cars are capable of somethings gotta break. Obvioulsy the main thing is that the engine has given you miles of trouble free service. Congratulations on the 60,000 mark of achievement.

65mph_Roll

Established Member
03SoCalCobra

Thanks--

I'm printing your post and taking it to the Simi Valley Ford dealer, where I bought my '04 and say, "check for all of this"--then, pulley.

Oh Three Cobra

Established Member
I just turned 24k miles. The trans went out in my daily driver 94 maxima in December and I haven't had time to fix it so I've been driving the cobra daily. I've been pullied since 14k miles and the only thing I broke was the fuel rail pressure sensor while racing a 911 turbo, but I still won. I took the car in for the vents rattling and got those replaced for free. Other than that, my windows are starting to creak when partially down and driving over rough roads so I am going to take the car in for that soon. My diff is seeping a bit, but I never see any oil on the ground. Last time I had it on a lift I cleaned it and smeared some silicone around.

RRRR03Cobra

Anti-venom is Useless!
Established Member
I'm right behind you bro w/ 49,000. I have had the leaky diff. twice, small vibe. I had to put a upr clutch quadrant,adjustable cable, firewall adjuster on my car at 41,000. But I'm still on my factory clutch. I've had my mods done for over 20,000 miles.

Chameleon

Established Member
Congratulations 03, respect for driving it daily in LA traffic! :rockon:

My car is a daily driver but I don't drive much at all (only 7,000 miles per year). So far I've never done anything to the car except oil changes.

But 60,000 miles in LA traffic..... :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

65mph_Roll

Established Member
Oh Three Cobra said:
I just turned 24k miles. The trans went out in my daily driver 94 maxima in December and I haven't had time to fix it so I've been driving the cobra daily. I've been pullied since 14k miles and the only thing I broke was the fuel rail pressure sensor while racing a 911 turbo, but I still won. I took the car in for the vents rattling and got those replaced for free. Other than that, my windows are starting to creak when partially down and driving over rough roads so I am going to take the car in for that soon. My diff is seeping a bit, but I never see any oil on the ground. Last time I had it on a lift I cleaned it and smeared some silicone around.

Never thought of the dealer dealing with the rattining vents....thanks

Users who are viewing this thread