The Big "C"

Monster Mach

Established Member
I'm praying for him... I lost my father to lung cancer 3 months after they discovered it.. my grandfather fought it for years.. and now my uncle has bladder c... I'm praying.. he's got all of svtp support

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

ssssnake

Established Member
Sam, your brother is in my prayers - as a survivor and someone who has lost loved ones from cancer, I pray for everyone with this despicable disease. And Sam, if you can, go see him. He needs a strong support group now. Take the laser toys and go. You'll never regret it.

blackonblackGT

Established Member
I got a call from my kid brother last week, normally we speak every couple of weeks on Skype, but not by phone, so I wondered if something was up. Plus he called me from his cell phone (UK to US) that never happens.

Well, long story short, he waffled around a bit and never really said anything then he let me go. Kinda weird imo. So I talk to my Dad later that night and he asks "did you talk to your brother?" and then adds "you need to call him" So I leave him a message and a couple of days later I get a hold of him. Turns out, he has a lump on one of his balls. He went to the doctors, they took one look and they said surgery - now.

Well, he emailed me today. He had his surgery this morning and got the results back from some scan they did last week. Turns out that there's two more lumps in his chest and he has to go start Chemo on Monday.

What the ****? :shrug:

I mean, what do I do?

This is my kid brother, he's 26 and there's no history of anything like this in my family whatsoever. Talk about out of nowhere! He's always been one to just get on with it, whatever he's doing. In his e-mail to me he was more concerned about me mailing him some laser toys for his dog than he was about what's going on and honestly, I'm freaking out. I have no clue where this came from, they are sending the testicle that they removed for testing, but it seems that with two other lumps in his chest, whatever he has is malignant.

**** :(

Guys, I know we have our back and forth debates on religion and all, but damn, if those of you that believe could add him to your prayer lists I would appreciate it no end. I feel useless, I'm gonna pray as hard as I can and see what develops over the next couple of weeks. I have everything in order here to where I can go home if I need to, I won't hesitate to get on a plane if it comes to that.

Damn - sorry for the long post, I'm just kinda down.

Hey man, I'm so sorry to hear. I was diagnosed with Hodgkins Lymphoma in March of last year 2 months before I turned 23. It sucked but I stayed positive the whole time. Tell him to try his best not to think about what he's going through and it will help A LOT. The support system is the best thing you can do because if I didn't have the amount of support, I don't know what I would have done. When he looks back at it WHEN he gets to 100 percent, he will realize how crazy the whole situation was but he will learn a lot from it and become a better person. That sounds cliche, but it's the truth. You do come out of something like this better and stronger. I am turning 24 years old in May and I am now 100 percent and got into my career I've been trying to get into for the last 2-3 years. I am loving life and there's always hope in the end. I don't know you, but it doesn't matter, if you want my number message me and I will be glad to speak to your brother since were around the same age. Take care and good luck. Please go see him ASAP though.

s_x_i

Established Member
Thanks for all the kind words guys, you can always seem to make me feel better. I had planned to go home in August anyways, but I'll probably see about bumping that up to here in the next few weeks depending on his condition.

It sucks, he's a good kid and is self employed, so won't make any money all the time he's off work, plus he has no benefits. Dad and I have already agreed to split his bills if we need to and cover him so he won't lose his house, I just hope they caught it early enough and he can kick it's ass and get better. :( Shit like this makes me feel like a bad guy for living so far away.

ItsReal93

Established Member
I would definitely look into help with bills. I have had lots of help from the American Cancer Society and Cancer Care. They have lots of programs to cover medications, co pays, food, gas, etc.

cancer.org and cancercare.org, I also have a booklet with lots of other places that you can call that I can pm you or even mail to you. Anything helps because this gets extremely expensive.

I know we don't know each other but my heart goes out to you guys. There are tough times ahead. Cancer can either make you stronger or tear you apart. The most important thing is remaining positive and a strong support system. I wouldn't be here still fighting if it wasn't for the people standing by me. That's what you remember the most. The people who stick by you. If you need anything at all pm me or I can send you my number.

Why would you think your a bad person for living far away? This isn't anything you can control. You sound like a great brother who wants to do anything you can to help. Even if you lived closer, that wouldn't prevent this. Just let him know that no matter how far away you are, you are there for him. Try and surprise him by visiting, and don't tell him your coming.

Last edited:

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
I would definitely look into help with bills. I have had lots of help from the American Cancer Society and Cancer Care. They have lots of programs to cover medications, co pays, food, gas, etc.

cancer.org and cancercare.org, I also have a booklet with lots of other places that you can call that I can pm you or even mail to you. Anything helps because this gets extremely expensive.

I know we don't know each other but my heart goes out to you guys. There are tough times ahead. Cancer can either make you stronger or tear you apart. The most important thing is remaining positive and a strong support system. I wouldn't be here still fighting if it wasn't for the people standing by me. That's what you remember the most. The people who stick by you. If you need anything at all pm me or I can send you my number.

Why would you think your a bad person for living far away? This isn't anything you can control. You sound like a great brother who wants to do anything you can to help. Even if you lived closer, that wouldn't prevent this. Just let him know that no matter how far away you are, you are there for him. Try and surprise him by visiting, and don't tell him your coming.

His brother lives in the UK. They have socialized medicine. I am sure his bills are covered by their national healthcare.

ItsReal93

Established Member
His brother lives in the UK. They have socialized medicine. I am sure his bills are covered by their national healthcare.

He said he doesn't have any benefits and him and his dad will be covering costs, but I didn't realize he was in the UK. Sorry.

s_x_i

Established Member
No, sorry - I meant like income support or housing benefit.

His basic medical costs will be covered by the state, but as his family, we're responsible for his living costs and any advanced or private treatment that he might need. He's been signed off work for 2 months right now, but once they get a proper diagnosis it could be a lot longer.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
He said he doesn't have any benefits and him and his dad will be covering costs, but I didn't realize he was in the UK. Sorry.

See below.

No, sorry - I meant like income support or housing benefit.

His basic medical costs will be covered by the state, but as his family, we're responsible for his living costs and any advanced or private treatment that he might need. He's been signed off work for 2 months right now, but once they get a proper diagnosis it could be a lot longer.

Good luck.

ItsReal93

Established Member
Yes, I read that...

I was just trying to help with some ideas. Sorry. Your family will be in my continued thoughts and prayers.

1Bad04Mystic

Established Member
Sorry to hear that, I hope everything goes well for you and your brother. Just stay positive and be there for him as much as you can.

Users who are viewing this thread