The Big Green Egg - charcoal bbq. Who has one?

03LCalgaryAB

Established Member
So I've been on the hunt for a Father's day present and decided that a new bbq is in order. I have heard good things about this "Big Green Egg" bbq, the only thing is that I've never used charcoal.

Do any of you have a Big Green Egg or similar style bbq. (ex big steel keg, kamado style bbq)
Big Green Egg Canada - The world's best smoker and grill

and how does cooking with charcoal compare to propane? Are cooking times similar? I know the starting time may differ, but besides that, are there any pros/cons?

Thanks

Sirhc7897

Established Member
The eggs are absolutely awesome but man they're expensive for what they are....You're dropping some serious coin for one with any reasonable amount of size....

As for propane vs charcoal. IMO the charcoal will always give a better flavor if done right but it is a considerable amount of work vs propane where you turn the burner on, let it heat up and then grill. There is definitely a little more art to cooking well with charcoal....And while charcoal does taste better, the incremental gain in flavor isn't worth the exponential gain in effort over propane....

So I've been on the hunt for a Father's day present and decided that a new bbq is in order. I have heard good things about this "Big Green Egg" bbq, the only thing is that I've never used charcoal.

Do any of you have a Big Green Egg or similar style bbq. (ex big steel keg, kamado style bbq)
Big Green Egg Canada - The world's best smoker and grill

and how does cooking with charcoal compare to propane? Are cooking times similar? I know the starting time may differ, but besides that, are there any pros/cons?

Thanks

GodStang

Established Member
We have one. I hate the taste of the food on it. Hate to say I prefer the propane taste. Now my mom and dad love the taste of it.

WVFord

Established Member
as Hank Hill always said, and was said above-propane- taste the meat not the heat.

No clean up with propane, charcoal is dirty and cleanup takes some time.

I have a Weber grill and could not be happier

venom_inc

Killing time at work.
Established Member
Charcoal is the way to go. It's much better for seering and slow cooking. Less grease and better presentation. Cook an ear of corn on the charcoal, you'll never eat it any other way.

edit: If you mostly cook burgers and dogs, I'd suggest propane. It's a waste of charcoal to cook up a just a few burgers. But if you have parties and need to cook a lot of food, defiently charcoal.

Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I've never heard of the Green Egg. I'm a Weber fan. I bought a new Weber propane grill last summer. Love it. I haven't used charcoal in years. To messy and it takes longer to heat up. Propane is just so easy. And no charcoal starter taste in your burgers. LOL! Personally I'd only use charcoal for grilling away from home, like in a park. At $700.00 the large version is very expensive for a charcoal grill, but they say you get a minimum of 10 years out of them. I can see how a serious barbecue person who wants good heat and good heat control would like this. I just prefer the ease of propane for my grilling needs.

TVSpeed

Established Member
My friend has one.. I thought the food off of it tasted pretty good but to each is own since other people here hated it..

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Kind of related, but I wonder how many people use their grills (propane, charcoal) on an almost daily basis. My brother-in-law uses his Weber a few times each week and uses it for just about everything. I use my Weber a few times a month.

venom_inc

Killing time at work.
Established Member
Kind of related, but I wonder how many people use their grills (propane, charcoal) on an almost daily basis. My brother-in-law uses his Weber a few times each week and uses it for just about everything. I use my Weber a few times a month.

I pretty much can cook anything on a grill. Breakfast, lunch, and dinner. If my gf is making a meatloaf, I'll grill up a veggie mix. I use it probably 5 days out of the week. I only use the charcoal on the weekends so I can take my time and enjoy grilling.

N2DAMYSTIC

WAS THERE A BILL OF SALE
Established Member
That looks to have very nice quality

I use mine 2-3 times per week year round. Even in the snow. I just bought one of these:

Shop Char-Griller Duo Gas and Charcoal Grill at Lowes.com

Has Gas, Charcoal, and bought the optional smoke box that attaches to the right side of the grill. So far I am loving it but you get what you pay for. That said it will probably take quite a bit of upkeep to keep from rusting but it works great and burns extremely hot.

Sap

Established Member
I cook on my Webber using the Green Egg Charcoal. Best BBQ you can ask for, made flank steak last night, was amazing.

As for spending a grand on the Green Egg itself, no thanks.

03LCalgaryAB

Established Member
Cool. Thanks for all the input. I might need to start looking at some propane grills now. The grill will probably used on a bi-weekly basis and in hibernation during the winter..hmm, Maybe a Weber or Broil King.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Okay, you're all making me hungry, especially after just reading about the meatloaf & veggie mix, and the flank steak. :)

oilwell1415

Established Member
My in laws have a Green Egg and love it.

LOL at taste the meat not the heat. Do you guys season your steaks? Use steak sauce? Anything else to change the flavor? What it tastes like has little to do with the meat. I'd say it's 40% preparation, 40% fat and 20% meat.

venom_inc

Killing time at work.
Established Member
My in laws have a Green Egg and love it.

LOL at taste the meat not the heat. Do you guys season your steaks? Use steak sauce? Anything else to change the flavor? What it tastes like has little to do with the meat. I'd say it's 40% preparation, 40% fat and 20% meat.

It's hard to say what is most important for steak. I take pride in my pepper and butter spread, but if you don't pick out the right meat it could really take away from all the prep.
Protip: All cuts from the loin (NY strip, filet mignon, porterhouse) should have a nice "marbled" look to it from the fat. T-bones should have the fat by the end of the bone. Thicker cuts = more flavor. If you are planning on salting the meat, always salt lightly at the last minute or two of grilling. Otherwise the salt will soak up the juices of the meat and dry it out.

pho_phizzat

Dapper as ****
Established Member
It's hard to say what is most important for steak. I take pride in my pepper and butter spread, but if you don't pick out the right meat it could really take away from all the prep.
Protip: All cuts from the loin (NY strip, filet mignon, porterhouse) should have a nice "marbled" look to it from the fat. T-bones should have the fat by the end of the bone. Thicker cuts = more flavor. If you are planning on salting the meat, always salt lightly at the last minute or two of grilling. Otherwise the salt will soak up the juices of the meat and dry it out.

what kind of butter spread do you make? do you cook it on the steak or apply it after?

lately i have been getting big into marinading tri tips and grilling them. oh man they are good. and not too expensive either.

Users who are viewing this thread