The Clunk***

combatstang

BoOsTaHoLiC
Established Member
The Clunk***

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

my clunk seems to be getting worse.. i went to X2Cmotorsports and they changed the hub bearing that went bad on my car...

IT WAS TOAST!!

so anyways, mycar clunks.. whenever im cruising and let off the gas.. and the car goes back and forth.. i hear a clunk in the rear.. if i press the gas, the car goes back.. i let off car goes forward occupained with the clunk...

WHATS THE DEAL?

Thanks

redlinelaunch

the ambush said:
same here.
my ford advisor says it's normal :shrug:

for some odd reason its seems to be normal-or extremely common. try to adjust your driving to it. when i first got my car i had the clunk but now i can drive it to where its not ever noticed.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
It is "normal" drivetrain play. Mine did the same thing. Annoying as hell! Ford usually won't fix it.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I think I handled the clunk by not allowing the revs to drop too much. The lower the rpms, the worse the clunk when you hit the pedal. I actually got used to it but it was still annoying. Wonder if upscale cars like the Viper and Vette have this issue? Somehow I doubt it.

tbw03cobra

yes....same here. Try and smooth out your shifts...at higher rpms....it will go away. The T56 is a tough ass tranny, and there is nothing gentle about it.

BLWN46

Established Member
I have it too, while mine was on the rack i checked the driveline to axle movement, seems excessive, anybody checked their gear backlash? Makes me wonder if they set the gears up sloppy .012+ , i'd like to try .08 or tighter? Just a thought.

grnenvy

Established Member
Well here's some good info. I just had the gears replaced in my car because of noise. I also told them to check the back lash before removing and it was 15. Me and Joe at JD's decided to set the back lash at 10 knowing it will loosen up a little due to the case being aluminum. I also did the stage-2 axle's also at the same time and the reinstallation on the cover brace. The clutch's were also repacked in the diff. I got the car back and the car is better then new. This car doesn't even have an ounce of slack in the drive line and it's so much better to drive. Better then new and the whine is gone also. I bet that most of the back lash or slop in these cars are that the ring and pinion is set to loose. My car is the perfect example. SO FIX THOSE REARS

BLWN46 said:
I have it too, while mine was on the rack i checked the driveline to axle movement, seems excessive, anybody checked their gear backlash? Makes me wonder if they set the gears up sloppy .012+ , i'd like to try .08 or tighter? Just a thought.

mike79

Evvverrrlonngg
Established Member
Surprisingly, my clunk went away when I changed the input shaft, clutch, and TOB sleeve, which I totally didnt think would happen. On the highway, let off the gas, and no noise. :)

palehorse

Established Member
I had/have the clunk. I took it in and ford replaced the rear end assembly and the clunk is pretty much still there. It may have helped some, but it is what it is, the "clunk."

pennywisegt

Audio & Video Production
Established Member
you guys, I either know what I'm talking about or have no clue but I'm gonna guess on this one. I hear a lot of people bitch and moan and say Ford won't put out anything fast, then they make the 03&04 cobra, and everybody complains about how it doesnt drive like a lexus. the t-56 is a racing tranny, everything is looser and more free in the drivetrain to prevent loss of hp going through it, and therefore you're going to get some clunks. Mine did it the second I drove mine off the lot, but didn't care. If you want a fast car from ford that is somewhat cheap, expect it to be a little shady in some areas. You don't want the clunk, go get a 3speed auto from ford. I mean do I sound completely crazy?

67scstang

SVT
Established Member
pennywisegt said:
you guys, I either know what I'm talking about or have no clue but I'm gonna guess on this one. I hear a lot of people bitch and moan and say Ford won't put out anything fast, then they make the 03&04 cobra, and everybody complains about how it doesnt drive like a lexus. the t-56 is a racing tranny, everything is looser and more free in the drivetrain to prevent loss of hp going through it, and therefore you're going to get some clunks. Mine did it the second I drove mine off the lot, but didn't care. If you want a fast car from ford that is somewhat cheap, expect it to be a little shady in some areas. You don't want the clunk, go get a 3speed auto from ford. I mean do I sound completely crazy?

Agreed!!!! :beer:
However, mine does not have the "clunk". I did change out the 12mm bolt in the rear to the proper 14mm bolt. Another guy that had the "clunk" that I talked to changed to the 14mm bolts and it went away.I think all you are hearing is the smaller 12mm bolt moving aroung in the 14mm hole, b/c I have heard everyone saying it only happens on acceleration and deceleration. He just made a post about it last week, it is about 1/2 way down, post #8. http://svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=162581

pennywisegt

Audio & Video Production
Established Member
Noway I don't believe that ish, people thing that because a bolt is loose their whole rear end clunks? If it was that loose, it would break, plus people say they notice it the second they bought the car. It's the tranny - it's gotta be.

trapnm

Established Member
I recently picked up a 99 cobra with high miles and there's a major clunk in the rear. Letting off the clutch in first, shifting into gears, and on and off the throttle as if the ring and pinion is shot. I asked the prev owner (a friend of mine) and he said he never noticed it. I dont know if this is what you guys are talking about but mine's at the dealer right now while they check out the rear end. I was thinking of having them put in a 3.55 rear while it's there instead of the 3.27 stock 99. Any thought's on my clunk. PS the abs lights on and the traction control wont turn off? Think this may be rear end related ?

Last edited:

BLWN46

Established Member
The 03/04 clunk is definately the trans, i thought some of it was the rear end excessive backlash. I tightened up the backlash put in 14mm sub bolts and its still there, be happy you have a great trans even if it's set up somewhat loose.

cgg074

Established Member
BLWN46 said:
The 03/04 clunk is definately the trans, i thought some of it was the rear end excessive backlash. I tightened up the backlash put in 14mm sub bolts and its still there, be happy you have a great trans even if it's set up somewhat loose.

Are you sure the clunk you feel is not when shifting gears?

From what I've heard, there are two types of clunk.

1) The one that you feel when you shift gears; like if you were not pushing the clutch completely. This one can be fixed with a Clutch Quadrant & Firewall Adjuster.
2) The one that you feel when you let off the gas or push it abruptly. That is normal. Although some cars do it louder than others.

Users who are viewing this thread