The Current Cobra Market

Apicia

Established Member
I know this is like pouring gas on hay in the forum, but here I go. Some of you say a low mileage Cobra is worth 30k. The few of us that actually buy and sell Cobras knows this not to be true. Worth and market price are two different things.

These cars are worth what people will pay for them (the market). With that being said, someone might pay above market price for a car they have always wanted. Last summer, I sold a lightly modded Cobra for 24k. This spring, I didn't get close to that for a Whippled Cobra.

Question:

What is the current market price for a lightly modded 04 Cobra with around 30k miles? That would depend on the color I suggest.

Red, Black, Silver, White = 20k
Orange, Sonic Blue, Anniversary =21k
Mystichrome = 22k
Yellow = 18-19k

Do you think these are realistic market values for these cars? Remember, we are talking about lightly modded (non-twin screw), 30k mile Cobras.

Last edited:

bigdave03

Established Member
Its all gonna come down to what u wanna pay...

Ive had three 03's... I broke even pretty much on 2 lightly modded... lost $$ on twin screw...

Apicia

Established Member
Its all gonna come down to what u wanna pay...

Ive had three 03's... I broke even pretty much on 2 lightly modded... lost $$ on twin screw...

It relative to other cars too. The Cobra drop in market value pushes down the Saleen prices. Likewise, the GT500s have come down in price and push the Cobra prices down.

bigdave03

Established Member
It relative to other cars too. The Cobra drop in market value pushes down the Saleen prices. Likewise, the GT500s have come down in price and push the Cobra prices down.

which is kinda of good for me, Im in the gt500 market, how bad do think the guys feel who had to have an 07 gt500... they'll never see that kinda $$$ again.

U can get 2010s at msrp...

Good Luck! :beer:

spincobra03

Established Member
which is kinda of good for me, Im in the gt500 market, how bad do think the guys feel who had to have an 07 gt500... they'll never see that kinda $$$ again.

U can get 2010s at msrp...

Good Luck! :beer:

2010's at msrp? I had 2 deposits on 2 different 2010 for 500 over invoice. You can get them dirt cheap (realitivly speaking) PM me and I can get you the details if your interested. I think 30-33 for a 2007 gt500 is a good price. Some of the guys are asking for 35-38k for an 07, way over priced IMO. You should be able to get an 07 for short money.

spincobra03

Established Member
I paid basically 20k for a silver 04 with an intake, tune, and upper pulley. Other than that its bone stock, even the exhaust. It had 36k miles but it is in excellent condition, inside and out. So I didnt mind paying a tad more than what I thought it was worth. I thought it was worth 19k but I went a little more because of the condition. I really think the only way I would pay over 23k would be if it had less than 10k miles. To me a 30k mile cobra with a popluar color should start at 20k and go down from there.
And this isnt coming from someone who "Wishes they could have one" as some people say. This is my third one. I love these cars as much as anyone, probably more than most because its my third but people need to settle down with some of these asking prices. I dont have a problem with someone asking any amount they want but if you want to SELL the car than lets be realistic people. I bought an 03 redfire vert back in 05, it had 4k miles on it. I paid 30k and this was at a stealership!!!!!

Im probably going to be putting on a whipple with all of the supporting mods. Now if I go to sell it, I can promise you that I wont be asking for 26k. Maybe 21-22k tops!! thats if its in just as nice of shape as when I bought it. I take VERY good care of my cars as Im anal about it but I cant vouche for dummys in parking lots.

Apicia

Established Member
I paid basically 20k for a silver 04 with an intake, tune, and upper pulley. Other than that its bone stock, even the exhaust. It had 36k miles but it is in excellent condition, inside and out. So I didnt mind paying a tad more than what I thought it was worth. I thought it was worth 19k but I went a little more because of the condition. I really think the only way I would pay over 23k would be if it had less than 10k miles. To me a 30k mile cobra with a popluar color should start at 20k and go down from there.
And this isnt coming from someone who "Wishes they could have one" as some people say. This is my third one. I love these cars as much as anyone, probably more than most because its my third but people need to settle down with some of these asking prices. I dont have a problem with someone asking any amount they want but if you want to SELL the car than lets be realistic people. I bought an 03 redfire vert back in 05, it had 4k miles on it. I paid 30k and this was at a stealership!!!!!

Im probably going to be putting on a whipple with all of the supporting mods. Now if I go to sell it, I can promise you that I wont be asking for 26k. Maybe 21-22k tops!! thats if its in just as nice of shape as when I bought it. I take VERY good care of my cars as Im anal about it but I cant vouche for dummys in parking lots.

I recently found a nice woman that is selling her Mystichrome coupe. It had over 30k miles and a pulley, along with some other minor mods. No twin screw. Although I didn't want to spend over 20k, I offered her 22k. I thought it was fair for a car with over 30k miles.

She declined to sell and said she wants 26k...

Last edited:

spincobra03

Established Member
Im so so on mystic. I understand why people ask a little more. I understand that it was a 3 or 4k paint option but to me it looks a little girly. Again thats just personal preference. Although I must say I really only feel that way about the interior, the exterior I think looks awesome!!!! If they made a grey or charcoal interior with a normal steering wheel I would be ALL OVER ONE!!
I think 22k was a fair offer. Some people with mystic and C/O tend to be paint snobs lol.....j/k mystic and C/O owners......but there is a hint of truth to that I think. Not that its a bad thing.

spincobra03

Established Member
I recently found a nice woman that is selling her Mystichrome coupe. It had over 30k miles and a pulley, along with some other minor mods. No twin screw. Although I didn't want to spend over 20k, I offered her 22k. I thought it was fair for a car with over 30k miles.

She declined to sell and said she wants 26k...

Ya see perfect example: 26k with no twin screw and over 30k miles. Even if it had a twin screw I certainly wouldnt say 26k would be a steal by any means.

flattrack53

Established Member
I would say those prices are accurate for this economy. Whos to say what tomorow might bring. They might be half of that or go back to finding a whipple cobra to be rite around 30k again. Who knows??? It is a big gamble.

spincobra03

Established Member
Check list in OP and increase price due to low mileage...

lol instead of NADA we now have apicia blue book!! Try and talk to a mod and make it a sticky ha.

I would think 13k miles should bring 23 maybe 24 if its immaculate. It sounds nice :beer:

Again all of this is strictly OPINION. I think apicia and myself (and others) have been just in the market recently and get frustrated when we feel the market is here and SOME people feel its way over here.
When the market (a few years ago) was 30k for a twin screw I wasnt on here complaining about having to pay those prices because I NEW thats what the market was. If I wanted a twin screw or a turbo setup I was going to have to pony up the dough and over pay because everyone else was. Its not that way anymore.
I want to be clear though, someone can ask whatever they want for their car. People put alot of time, money, and sweat into these cars and can become attached, its understandable. But I see 10 threads a day with people asking high prices that I wont comment on because its not my place and against what svtp rules are. With that said, if an OP asks if its priced right or asks why is the car not selling, I will give me opinion.

Apicia

Established Member
lol instead of NADA we now have apicia blue book!! Try and talk to a mod and make it a sticky ha.

I would think 13k miles should bring 23 maybe 24 if its immaculate. It sounds nice :beer:

Again all of this is strictly OPINION. I think apicia and myself (and others) have been just in the market recently and get frustrated when we feel the market is here and SOME people feel its way over here.
When the market (a few years ago) was 30k for a twin screw I wasnt on here complaining about having to pay those prices because I NEW thats what the market was. If I wanted a twin screw or a turbo setup I was going to have to pony up the dough and over pay because everyone else was. Its not that way anymore.
I want to be clear though, someone can ask whatever they want for their car. People put alot of time, money, and sweat into these cars and can become attached, its understandable. But I see 10 threads a day with people asking high prices that I wont comment on because its not my place and against what svtp rules are. With that said, if an OP asks if its priced right or asks why is the car not selling, I will give me opinion.

Apicia Blue Book (ABB), sound nice :)

But, what the hell do I know...

nopropslaw

Established Member
I feel your pricing suggestions are very accurate. I have on 03 TR 10th with 21k on it for 21,500. It does have the basic mods, but no twin screw. I felt 21,500 is fair given that its a 10th and its relatively low mileage.

halflife

Established Member
i think the market is good. i had probably a 100 inquiries on my sale through various mustang sites. i bought my whippled cobra in june 09 for 24k and sold it today for that. had it on the market for less then a month.

spincobra03

Established Member
I feel your pricing suggestions are very accurate. I have on 03 TR 10th with 21k on it for 21,500. It does have the basic mods, but no twin screw. I felt 21,500 is fair given that its a 10th and its relatively low mileage.

Yes, while I dont think being a tenth makes a difference in the price, I think 21,5k is a solid price. Again its all opinion but thats a price that is placed on a car that wants to be sold not just up for sale.

CivicBeater

Established Member
It's simple, KBB value for my 04 black vert is 22k with 25k miles. It has well over in 15k in aftermarket goods. I say a fair asking price is 23-24k. OP's numbers are a bit low, especially when compared to KBB value which is the popular choice.

Users who are viewing this thread