The Eaton ELocker?

The Whistler

Established Member
I want to get an Eaton ELocker, but I have heard some bad things about the compressor on them. That they dont last and that break easily. Some people say that they are loud, but I am only going to use it for the dragstrip.

I wanted to go with a limited slip diff, but dont want to risk anything because my car is a true daily driver and I need it to be reliable.

If you guys have any experience with the ELocker, did you like it, and would you recommend it.

03DOHC

Established Member
Originally posted by The Whistler
I want to get an Eaton ELocker, but I have heard some bad things about the compressor on them. That they dont last and that break easily. Some people say that they are loud, but I am only going to use it for the dragstrip.

I wanted to go with a limited slip diff, but dont want to risk anything because my car is a true daily driver and I need it to be reliable.

If you guys have any experience with the ELocker, did you like it, and would you recommend it.
The Eaton E-Locker does not use a compressor it uses electro-magnets. The compressor one is the ARB Air Locker.

I would be surprised if your car didn't already have a limited slip differential. If you look at the tag on your diff cover it will tell you what gears and whether or not it is limited slip. If there is an L on the tag it is a limited slip diff.

The Whistler

Established Member
I would be surprised if your car didn't already have a limited slip differential. If you look at the tag on your diff cover it will tell you what gears and whether or not it is limited slip. If there is an L on the tag it is a limited slip diff.

Yes, of course my car has a limited slip with stock 3.27 gears on an IRS, but as we all have experienced at least once....it is completed by cutting your air to fuel ratio and retarding your timing, which is why when you dont turn off limited slip and you lose traction, your car starts to make that nasty bogging sound. The stock limited slip is not great at all, plus I want to get the 31 spline axles.

Has anyone had any bad experiences, or does anyone prefer one over the other (the Eaton or the Auburn)?

Oh yeah, this set up will be completed with 31 spline Superior axles, a solid rear end, and 3.73 gears.

f_rice

EFF GM AND CHRYSLER!!!!
Established Member

Yes, of course my car has a limited slip with stock 3.27 gears on an IRS, but as we all have experienced at least once....it is completed by cutting your air to fuel ratio and retarding your timing, which is why when you dont turn off limited slip and you lose traction, your car starts to make that nasty bogging sound. The stock limited slip is not great at all, plus I want to get the 31 spline axles.

Has anyone had any bad experiences, or does anyone prefer one over the other (the Eaton or the Auburn)?

Oh yeah, this set up will be completed with 31 spline Superior axles, a solid rear end, and 3.73 gears.

I could be wrong but it sounds like you are describing traction control, not a limited slip differential. The differential is not linked to the PCM and should not be cutting air/fuel

Last edited:

The Whistler

Established Member
Originally posted by f_rice
I could be wrong but it sounds like you are describing traction control, not a limited slip differential. The differential is not linked to the PCM and should not be cutting air/fuel

Yes, sorry about that. I wasnt thinking straight. I was talking about the traction control. No, I have not worn out my limited slip, the thing is that I would like a posi unit so that I have aproximately 50-50 power to both wheels at all times, when I have it on.

Thanks for the replies.

03DOHC

Established Member
Yes, sorry about that. I wasnt thinking straight. I was talking about the traction control. No, I have not worn out my limited slip, the thing is that I would like a posi unit so that I have aproximately 50-50 power to both wheels at all times, when I have it on.

Thanks for the replies.
A limited slip differential is a posi unit. You are probably referring to a locker.

VenomousSVT

TRQSTEER
Established Member
Originally posted by 03DOHC
A limited slip differential is a posi unit. You are probably referring to a locker.

yeah and if he goes with a "spool" that car will drive like hell in the curves...... chirpchirpchirpchirpchirpchirpchirpchirp all the way around the turn

03DOHC

Established Member
Originally posted by VenomousSVT
yeah and if he goes with a "spool" that car will drive like hell in the curves...... chirpchirpchirpchirpchirpchirpchirpchirp all the way around the turn
I had considered a locker when I had my 97 Cobra. I heard about them being very loud engaging and disengaging so I went with a 31 spline FRPP diff, which worked fine for my use. I wouldn't consider a spool for a daily driver like you said.

GodStang

Established Member
I have the Eaton E-Locker in our Jeep Wrangler and it is great. Our Wrangler has a Ford 8.8 from a 99 explorer in the rear. Nice push button locking.

Users who are viewing this thread