The Ecoboost Disappointment

Voltwings

Established Member
I hate to break it to you my friend but there is already a large ricer faction among the Mustang crowd. We've all seen it: big unadulterated wings (not Cobra R type or usable for any downforce), terrible body kits, Lambo doors, neon, huge rims, just all around Rice-A-Roni. I doubt the 4 cylinder coming around is going to dramatically increase the ricer population much more :rolling:

The fact that the new mustang will have IRS means the hella flush crowd is going to slam whatever mustang they get their hands on, be it v6, GT, or ecoboost. Its bound to happen.

Softballer77

Established Member
How old are you?

GT-Rs have most certainly not always been known for V6s. Only the current generation Nissan GTR is a V6. All prior Skyline GT-Rs were powered by an Inline 6.

and what Mustang enthusiast, or car enthusiast in general, doesn't remember the SVO Mustang? The SVO was the "Shelby GT500" of its day. It was the fastest and most expensive Mustang available at the time. It made just as much power as the 302 V8 found in the Mustang GT, as well as matched the power output of the 305 V8 found in the Camaro/Firebird F-body twins of that era.

Umm, 40?

Ohhh yeahhh...INLINE 6. I was way off...even though I said "6 CYLINDER" as well, you had to break my balls by thinking I had no idea what I was talking about when I mistakenly said V6 instead of inline 6. Obviously (or I guess not to you) my point was cylinder count there dopey, which I would be correct.

I can obviously tell there is a huge 4 cylinder fan base here. I respect that. To me, I'm disappointed. No one will change that. Call it hard-headed, don't like change, or just don't like 4 cylinder Mustangs. That's just me. But what a great thread this turned out to be.

Call me old school. Hell, older school than the mid 70s mustang crowd even. I love the days of v8 fastbacks, 429 Bosses, Mach 1s, Shelby GT350s....all of which were V8s. Yes, (as another wanted to point out I was SO wrong by saying "v6" instead of "inline 6" on the mid 60s Mustangs) I know they were for sure part of making Mustang what it is today. I just wasn't a fan of those V6s either.

For all the SVO fans out there, respect to you. I just never liked them. To each their own.

Of course, now that we know the new Mustang is not only going to be not as light as initially rumored, but actually heavier than the last model, do we really still think that turbo4 is going to move that hefty thing as quick as we thought...stock? Someone mentioned up top earlier that there is no way comparing a 4 cylinder to a v8 is going to make the same power side by side, so why would we think the 4 banger will move this platform better than the v8?

I'll check back in another month or two and see where this one ends up too. :coolman:

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
I think you are making the mistake of assuming people on here are 4 cylinder enthusiasts.. In actuality, most people on here are performance enthusiasts. I like V8s the most, but I like performance too.

And who actually thinks the stock EB is going to move this car better than the coyote? The only way that is going to happen is if the EB is modded and the coyote is stock. The EB will be more nimble as it has less weight up front and in general, which there is a massive market for.

There is a lot of fun to be had in a light and nimble car, grab a Fiesta ST and throw it into a few turns. You'll enjoy it.

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
Why can't more performance choices be a good thing for the Mustang? If you don't want a turbo four, there is a V-8 option.

I have a Focus ST and a GT500. I enjoy them both for different reasons.

In the end I forsee a time that Ecoboost joins the V-8. Think of the four-cylinder as training wheels for us all to get a handle on modding GTDI engines.

We've been modding GTDI engines since 2010. Their called Taurus SHO's. And their are some pretty fast ones.

Last edited:

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
It is time to stop clinging on the past. Shelby did nothing on the 2013 GT500. Only the name that he collected royalties on.

You can thank the following people {SVT}for the 2013 GT500:

Jamal Hameedi Chief Engineer
Matt Todd Special Vehicle Team (SVT) Powertrain Engineer at Ford Motor Company
Tom Reichenbach SVT Vehicle Engineering Manager, Mustang Shelby GT 500 at Ford Motor Company
Lawrence Parets - Product Design and Release Engineer For SVT at Ford Motor Company
Andy Slankard - Ford Racing Engineering Supervisor at Ford Motor Company; SVT Engineer & Program Manager
Gerry Silka - Engineer Ford SVT at Ford SVT Engineer/Roush
Tad Ohtake - SVT Chassis Engineering Supervisor
Todd Gray - Design and release engineer within Ford's SVT (Special Vehicle Team
Brad Lammers - SVT Powertrain Systems Engineer at Ford Motor Company; Lead Engineer on GT500
Ryan Delaney - VT Body & Electrical Engineering Supervisor
Jeff Sholtz - SVT Body Engineering

And the list goes on. ..

Who can I thank for the ****ed up shifting in my 2012?

Softballer77

Established Member
I think you are making the mistake of assuming people on here are 4 cylinder enthusiasts.. In actuality, most people on here are performance enthusiasts. I like V8s the most, but I like performance too.

And who actually thinks the stock EB is going to move this car better than the coyote? The only way that is going to happen is if the EB is modded and the coyote is stock. The EB will be more nimble as it has less weight up front and in general, which there is a massive market for.

There is a lot of fun to be had in a light and nimble car, grab a Fiesta ST and throw it into a few turns. You'll enjoy it.

Call it as you wish. Have read pages of those defending the 4 cylinder model. Though I will be eager to read handling reviews/numbers on the 4 cylinder. Stock for stock it's not going to go around a track any quicker than a GT. A Fiesta is a totally different car. How can you even compare the two? You buy it for what it is. If I wanted something really nimble, fun, good gas mileage, I'd buy a Fiesta ST. To me, Mustang is completely different animal. Putting a 4 cylinder into it only brings it closer to a Fiesta....with a whole lot more weight.

Davemcc

Established Member
If I wanted something really nimble, fun, good gas mileage, I'd buy a Fiesta ST. To me, Mustang is completely different animal. Putting a 4 cylinder into it only brings it closer to a Fiesta....with a whole lot more weight.

Game. Set. Match.:dancenana:

Eatonualive281

Established Member
I cant wait for the ecoboost mustang. Its so refreshing to see Ford going in this direction. Thats why I love the foward thinking of this great brand. Technology and innovation at its finest. They certainly aren't afraid to be different.

Also cant wait for the GT350's Big Brother... Itll be nice to FINALLY see a Halo car from Ford that doesnt have that Shelby name on it to sell units. Or at least we can only hope.

SeaFoam

Established Member
I stand corrected. There was the SVO, and it has it's place with a few groups out there, but I have never seen one go down the quarter. To me, I never considered it to be a REAL Mustang anyways. I'm just overall disappointed. Mid 70s anyone? That was the start of the 4 cylinder mustangs, and we ALL know how much we loved that era. Most even go as far as saying it never even existed.

Bleh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUFMBNmjiuo

The SVO kicks ass, I love both of mine. They are more agile than my 14' track pack. The 2015 isn't an SVO, but that doesn't mean it won't be a good car and have potential. Some people like to take corners.

Last edited:

Swoope

Established Member
Call it as you wish. Have read pages of those defending the 4 cylinder model. Though I will be eager to read handling reviews/numbers on the 4 cylinder. Stock for stock it's not going to go around a track any quicker than a GT. A Fiesta is a totally different car. How can you even compare the two? You buy it for what it is. If I wanted something really nimble, fun, good gas mileage, I'd buy a Fiesta ST. To me, Mustang is completely different animal. Putting a 4 cylinder into it only brings it closer to a Fiesta....with a whole lot more weight.

you are the guy that after blasting down the straight will have to point by miatas on street tires, by turn two.

and for how far ahead this site is for tech knowledge or 550 tech. it is very behind what is happening. shocked about some of the trolling threads here that could be ended in a link or two.

but will not link as dont want to be accused of click bait.

beers

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread