The Force is Strong"R" With This One

50 Deep

SVT JEDI
Established Member
Got the DCT Motorsports carbon fiber/leather GT350R style steering wheel installed. Process was pretty easy using the instructions you can find from Ford Performance, and vides from Late Model Restoration. Took me an hour total and that included taking photos along the way. These should get you through the process pretty easily, but here are a few things of note.

https://performanceparts.ford.com/download/instructionsheets/FordInstShtM-3600-M350R_FP.pdf
https://lmr.com/products/how-to-install-mustang-gt350-steering-wheel-15-16

Make sure you have the negative battery cable disconnected for at least 1 minute before starting. Once the airbag is loose make sure you pop out these little orange clips to release the connectors

DCTMS_GT350_R_Steering_Wheel_1.jpg

This is a good photo of all the screw locations for when you reassemble. Note you will use the supplied screws from DCTMS that are already installed in the new wheel

DCTMS_GT350_R_Steering_Wheel_2.jpg

Lift up on this edge to disengage the tabs once the screws are removed

DCTMS_GT350_R_Steering_Wheel_3.jpg

The bottom bezel is on kind of tight due to this small piece. Lift up from the bottom with a little force and it will pop out.

DCTMS_GT350_R_Steering_Wheel_4.jpg

DCTMS_GT350_R_Steering_Wheel_5.jpg

These clips that hold the airbag in place need to be transferred over to the DCTMS steering wheel. They seat on a small ledge on the wheel. Use a screw driver or pry tool to compress it past the seat and it will slide out. Installation into the new wheel is best done with a pair of pliers and a small pick or screw driver to help seat it back into place.

DCTMS_GT350_R_Steering_Wheel_7.jpg

DCTMS_GT350_R_Steering_Wheel_6.jpg

This entire plastic piece will pop off the steering wheel frame so just pull form the top and sides gently to separate them. You will see push pins at 3, 6, and 9 o'clock on the steering wheel. Keep note of how all the wires are ran as you push it back into the new DCTMS frame.

DCTMS_GT350_R_Steering_Wheel_8.jpg

DCTMS_GT350_R_Steering_Wheel_9.jpg

Here are some side by side comparison shots I snapped quickly to show the differences in construction. The flat bottom is noticeably longer on the DCTMS version. I took some rough measurements and it appears the OEM wheel is about 14 ¾ inches all around. The DCTMS version is about 14 inches top to bottom, and 14 ½ inches side to side. Depth appears to be identical.

DCTMS_GT350_R_Steering_Wheel_10.jpg

DCTMS_GT350_R_Steering_Wheel_11.jpg

DCTMS_GT350_R_Steering_Wheel_12.jpg

DCTMS_GT350_R_Steering_Wheel_13.jpg

DCTMS_GT350_R_Steering_Wheel_14.jpg

DCTMS_GT350_R_Steering_Wheel_15.jpg

DCTMS_GT350_R_Steering_Wheel_16.jpg

The final product looks good if you ask me. The juice was definitely worth the squeeze.

DCTMS_GT350_R_Steering_Wheel_17.jpg

DCTMS does not have these up for sale on their web page yet, but should be live soon. They have a carbon fiber ($599) and full leather ($449) option available. Looks like they also do custom colored stitching. I will be organizing a group buy with all the information and hopefully a lower initial pricing. Be on the lookout for that thread here soon.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Looks like a decent deal on that wheel.
At first I thought separate side wheels was too far, but I def can see how it's great for shows. I like the directional design and would love to see tinted smoke instead of bronze. I think the blue/bronze works like Subaru, but with the black and red stripes it might be too busy for me vs. a smoked charcoal color.
Still, nothing but props for the level you're taking the car.
-J

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
I like the shape of that steering wheel, particularly the grips. I'm not sold on the materials, though. That would look killer in all alcantara or alcantara/leather! Do you think they would/could do something like that for the S197?

50 Deep

SVT JEDI
Established Member
I like the shape of that steering wheel, particularly the grips. I'm not sold on the materials, though. That would look killer in all alcantara or alcantara/leather! Do you think they would/could do something like that for the S197?
They can build you a wheel in alcantara or other materials if you like. I liked the idea of having a material less likely to wear under daily use. DCTMS actually built this wheel from the ground up and it is not a rewrapped OEM piece. They have a lot into the engineering costs. I could see them building one for the S197, but there would have to be considerable interest first.

50 Deep

SVT JEDI
Established Member
Couple of shots taken on campus at CSUS by Todd at GP36 Media. My preferred back to school activity.

IMG_1541.jpg

IMG_1555.jpg

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
I didn't know you two-sided this car, too. The black ones look a lot better in this instance.

50 Deep

SVT JEDI
Established Member
Got the new shift knob installed and took a few better pictures of it and the steering wheel

Sugar_Mill_R_039_s_8_of_8.jpg

Sugar_Mill_R_039_s_1_of_8.jpg

I also got to spend a little time with @swedensky and @Dtmaso with their R's. Managed to get their cars all dirty in the process of snapping a few pictures. More and better shots to come

Sugar_Mill_R_039_s_5_of_8.jpg

Sugar_Mill_R_039_s_3_of_8.jpg

Sugar_Mill_R_039_s_2_of_8.jpg

50 Deep

SVT JEDI
Established Member
George and the guys @MGW are at it again. I just got my hands on the new Scudo line of wallets he has created. I have to tell you the damn thing is pretty slick. Light weight, made in 'Merica, and RFID protected with MIL spec rated coatings. The engraving and machining is a work of art. I will get some better photographs when I get time, but I almost positive @Tob will have all the details coming shortly. These are custom engravable as well. Check them out in depth at www.mgwscudo.com

IMG_1635.jpg

IMG_1632.jpg

s1ten

Established Member
This is my second go around with the ZL1 Addons Splitter Guard washers and they have already proven their worth with my previous carbon fiber front splitter. During my last trip to the shop I was put on to a little known fact that they carry 2 different sized splitter guard washers. The smaller pieces come standard with the kits, but the larger bits are actually use by NASCAR.

ZL1_Splitter_Guards_1.jpg

ZL1_Splitter_Guards_3.jpg

This time around I wanted to add some extra protection to the areas of the splitter I found to be the most susceptible to scraping. The center portion is always high risk since it is the forward most point. Then at the 3/4 or so mark at each side there is a bulge/curve in the splitter that generally is the point to scrape first when taking an angle into or out of most driveways. That is where I placed the 3 larger pieces. The install process is simple as I placed the washer where I wanted it, drilled a pilot hole, and then screwed in the washer with the supplied screws.

ZL1_Splitter_Guards_4.jpg

ZL1_Splitter_Guards_9.jpg

ZL1_Splitter_Guards_6.jpg

Here is the final product.

ZL1_Splitter_Guards_10.jpg
Please explain how I can benefit from these? wouldn't they reduce the clearance a bit? I barely make it up the driveway now. Thanks.

50 Deep

SVT JEDI
Established Member
It has become harder and harder to find time to get out for photos, or even driving the car for that matter. I spent some time with my buddy Todd from GP36 Media attempting to finalize a photoshoot for my car. I don't want to shame the profession by calling myself a photographer, but watching him work sheds some light on how time consuming these photography ventures can be. Here a couple of the pics I took and edited.

Portl R (1 of 5).jpg

Portl R (2 of 5).jpg
Portl R (1 of 1).jpg
Portl R (4 of 5).jpg

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Saweet.

You know T, as I was looking at those photos I heard a voice in my head say that the two different wheel colors just plain works in this case. Hard to accept at first but what it does is allow more than one look - just as the car did to begin with. Problem is that it is hard to look away now.
:)

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Same deal here Tob, I mean when can you ever see both sides at same time? Prob makes people do double takes all the time too.
-J

50 Deep

SVT JEDI
Established Member
Same deal here Tob, I mean when can you ever see both sides at same time? Prob makes people do double takes all the time too.
-J

That is a constant. I always hear people say to their buddies “Ok man, now come look at this side.” Usually I act like the car isn’t mine and just listen in. It’s amusing
Saweet.

You know T, as I was looking at those photos I heard a voice in my head say that the two different wheel colors just plain works in this case. Hard to accept at first but what it does is allow more than one look - just as the car did to begin with. Problem is that it is hard to look away now.
:)

I think the initial shock has work off for most people, and now some can see the creativity behind it.... some...

More importantly I can’t wait to see a set on your upcoming GT500. That is going to be amaze balls as the kids say

Users who are viewing this thread