The great coilover debate

Dave5.0

Established Member
Okay, so I know this will spark a lot of controversy. That's not my intentions.

Having an Ohlins setup Evo X with all supporting suspension mods, I need my 5.0 to at least be somewhat comparable. (Obviously one is AWD, one is RWD, I get it, completely different cars). I was running on the Roush Track pack which handled great but was super rough. The roughness wasn't enough to justify the level of handling. I switched to a Koni Yellow/Steeda setup with GT500 mounts and got them for a great deal and it feels great. But I guess I'm still left wanting more.

I also have a Freedom Racing Panhard bar, Steeda adjustable sways, Front strut tower brace, and some other bracing. Also LCA. Running on Pilot Super Sports 275 squared.

I'm not looking for cheap coilovers. I like getting the best stuff PROVIDED it made a difference. I tried a setup in my Evo before going to the Ohlins and only now am I truly satisfied.

So, if I were to get say either AST 4150s, or KW V3s, or a Griggs setup is this night and day on this car considering it will see only 90% street? I push my car hard through turns. I ALSO don't want to be super punished on the street when I hit a bump or small hole.

If a better coilover setup would only be say "10%" better, then I wouldn't even be interested.

Thalilbear02

Established Member
If you're think you're going to get the same handling capability of Ohlins out of your Evo to a Mustang you're nuts. You can certainly get there, but coilovers wouldn't be it, we're talking a lot more than just coils. V3's are a good start (check my thread in my sig). In your shoes I'd swap out the springs on the V3's and go with Swift, and pick a spring rate that goes along with what you need, and then go from there.

Dave5.0

Established Member
If you're think you're going to get the same handling capability of Ohlins out of your Evo to a Mustang you're nuts. You can certainly get there, but coilovers wouldn't be it, we're talking a lot more than just coils. V3's are a good start (check my thread in my sig). In your shoes I'd swap out the springs on the V3's and go with Swift, and pick a spring rate that goes along with what you need, and then go from there.

No I understand it's comparing apples to oranges but I know good quality coilovers don't kill ride quality.

What springs come on the KWs stock?

schecter

Established Member
I have eibach coilovers on mine. It absolutely makes a huge difference, love them. If I had it to do over I would have spent a little bit more and gotten KW's though. I think they are the best in the business.

Muff Daddy

Established Member
With the Ohlins on my Evo I got both! The ride didn't suffer but the handling was drastically better.

I have bc racing coilovers. The ride is definatley stiffer then stock but manageable. Car is way more planted but could still benefit from better swaybars/bushings.

Last edited:

Dave5.0

Established Member
Not looking at the BC or Eibach kits. I'm convinced my current setup rides nicer and handles just as good if not better.

I'm really only interested in the AST, Cortex, KW, or Griggs.

schecter

Established Member
Not looking at the BC or Eibach kits. I'm convinced my current setup rides nicer and handles just as good if not better.

I'm really only interested in the AST, Cortex, KW, or Griggs.

I can absolutely understand that. I would go with the variant 3's, just my preference. When I had my old 240sx they were always the holy grail for me.

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
i'd go with ASTs through vorshlag motorsports. they've done a LOT of street/track combination development on those shocks.

PhillyLS1

Established Member
I have V3's on my car and it's a completely different car. It's pretty close to my Corvette honestly.

Dave5.0

Established Member
I've been hearing so many different things lately!

Are the kw clubsports really as good as a Vorshlag AST 4150 setup? Or the Griggs racing kit? I'm gonna spend like 3000, I want to get the best value!!

Dave5.0

Established Member
I'm leaning towards the vorshlag AST 4150 setup with the vorshlag caster camber plates and 375 ft lbs in front and 175 in rear. Anyone wanna chime in?

applesauce683

Established Member
I'm leaning towards the vorshlag AST 4150 setup with the vorshlag caster camber plates and 375 ft lbs in front and 175 in rear. Anyone wanna chime in?

I don't think you can go wrong with that setup. Tons of testing was done with that setup. Having personally installed and ridden in vehicles with KW and AST, IMHO the AST build quality is a step above the KW. Plus Vorshlag is an extremely reputable company that can help you post-sale setting the car up.

applesauce683

Established Member
Thanks for the response. Are we talking a big step up from my koni setup?

My suspension experience has been with WRX/STi and EVO cars, so I haven't ridden in a Mustang other than mine. The Koni's on mine offer good handling but the ride quality is pretty firm. If I could do-over I would definitely get the AST's with the softer street spring rates. But then again you are talking much more money compared to the Koni/Steeda setup. But you did have Ohlins on your EVO, which are one of the best options available, so I don't think the Koni option would satisfy your needs for comfort.

Last edited:

applesauce683

Established Member
And anyone that tries to compare Megan, BC, Tein, or any other China/Taiwan coilover to a European coilover is on crack and has no real experience with suspensions.

Dave5.0

Established Member
And anyone that tries to compare Megan, BC, Tein, or any other China/Taiwan coilover to a European coilover is on crack and has no real experience with suspensions.

I completely agree. They get mad when you tell them don't even bother. I understand $$, but I'd rather a Koni setup than a cheap coilover.

I ordered the AST 4150s from Vorshlag with all the options and the custom 450 LBs in front and 175 in rear for DD.

Is it worth it to swap my Freedom Racing panhard bar for a Watts link at this point? I like the Whiteline but I think it will interfere with my Steeda sways, right?

Users who are viewing this thread