The gto boys are gettin big heads.......

Romans8:28

Established Member
Was reading a GTO forum:

It appears they think the 05 goat is able to outrun stock cobra's

"The stock 05 should be able to handle a stock 03/04 Cobra. The bad thing is that most Cobra owners have already modded their cars . . ."

spanking Cobra's

o3SnakeBite

Die Hard Sports Junkie
Established Member
How much does the 05 GTO weigh? I know it has 400hp, so it should be a decent race I think. But who keeps their cobra stock?

Twinturbo Ranger

Established Member
I could see the new 05 model being a great match. The 03-04 Cobra is not the fastest car ever made and it will be surpassed by more and more cars as they age, BUT it is one of the best bangs for the buck ever made.

The best thing about the GTO is it made Ford jump the power on the new Cobra ,if the rumors and mag articles are true. The only problam is they are probably pricey and they are in the new body style.

I say let the GTO's guys talk, they at least know that most Cobras are not stock and that always gives us the edge :-D

Thanks Mike

JerseySVT

Established Member
Well, it DOES have 400hp. The cobra isn't unbeatable. In a straight line, its going to be a driver's race. In the twisties, the Cobra will be out front.

But GTO's beating Cobras will be rare. Cause we all know the majority of Cobras are not stock.

Chonger

The Korean Connection
Established Member
What is a bone stock Cobra? I don't think I have ever heard of such a car. Just a catback and CAI kit makes a huge difference with these cars. Many get 400 to the wheels with those mods. And thats enough to hit the traps at about 115.

Justin Blake

Kenne Bell Powered
Established Member
I just posted cause I live in kc. I will see if i can get one of them to bite. I hope so cause it would be fun to play with a new goat, he has no idea what he's in for.

Eatonup

Established Member
The guy with the SS sure talks a lot of smack for only having 396RWHP. "No Cobra has even been a challenge." :poke: Why...oh...why don't any of these smack talking internet hero's ever live within 100 miles of me? I would love to get the beat downs on video. :D

Established Member
Justin Blake said:
I just posted cause I live in kc. I will see if i can get one of them to bite. I hope so cause it would be fun to play with a new goat, he has no idea what he's in for.

thats showing some team spirit !

We can't have goats thinking they can "handle Cobra's" with relative ease

Established Member
They are getting rally bold over in GTO land.........

quoting some jerk over there:

"And last I check most cobra's are not pushing 400 rwhp so I ain't worried. I work with a guy that has a 04 cobra and even he says it all the time that he wishes he could keep up with the ls1's."

"Oh but its sure fun to get their panties in a bunch.

They know they have to spend thousands just to keep up with our stock ls1s and now ls2's and it pisses them off"

Damn I wish I lived in his town!!!!!!!!

Willie

Established Member
Sure the GTO boys are gettin' big heads. Wouldn't you if GM finally came up with competition (except the high dollar Vette). GM has a history of cutting corners whenever they can. This car was developed by Holden (Australia) where this body style has been in existence for years. So GM decided to import back their product to sell in the USA. Interesting. The only problem is the GTO has not been selling well at all. Did you guys know the remaining new '04s have up to a $10k incentive? I betcha the Cobra never had an incentive did it?

It's only my opinion, but my guess is because the "new" GTO looks like a squashed jelly bean -- it has no style whatsoever. Yeah, and I've been a GM fan for a long time.

So they are not selling well. To combat this, they up the horsepower by installing a "new" 6.0L LS2, put an exhaust tip on either side (unlike the prior year's 'two on the left' design) and it's now "competition" for the '03-'04?? It's kind of ironic how the rear bumper/exhaust tips look vaguely familiar?? It looks just like ours! It's GM at their best! Friggin' copycats....

In any case, if you look at just the specs, the '05 GTO and the Cobra are similar. But I believe the similarities end here. It's well known that to make significantly more power out of an LSx, internals must be swapped. For example, installing an aftermarket exhaust, a bigger throttle body and a CAI results in about a 20 hp gain. This for ~$1000. In comparison, we can do the exhaust, intake, pulley the blower (with a flash) and we've got at least a 60hp gain. All for about $700 (right?). So..... which car has more potential for less $$$?

Having seen the light out of both tunnels (Ford & GM), I can honestly say that Ford's research and development far exceed what GM has accomplished in the last ten years or so. The demise of the F-body is proof.

RRRR03Cobra

Anti-venom is Useless!
Established Member
I believe the 03/04 cobra hit the 1/4 times in 12.8 stock! Of course, a person would have to READ to understand the difference between 12.8 and 13.3. I also believe the cobra times in 0-60 were about 4.6 or 4.7. The GTO is said to be about 5.1. Duh huh!

Snorman

Gaining fast...
Established Member
The fastest '05 GTO has gone 13.1 in mineshaft air at Cecil at around 105mph. There are maybe a couple cars out there that have come close to that.
On a bad pass (when stock), I'd go 13.0-13.1's. The '05 GTO picked up (maybe) 30-40rwhp. I'm hearing they are dyno'ing around 340rwhp. Figure the '05 GTO's will run around 12.8's@108-109mph in great air at a fast track. The vast majority will be low-mid 13-second cars.
Those guys are on crack. Most of them already figured they could keep up with '03/'04 Cobras and lived vicariously through others' times.
I'm going to crack the sh*t out of the first '05 GTO that tests me.
S.

Justin Blake

Kenne Bell Powered
Established Member
Don't we have some guys in that area that can shut this guy up, I am doing my part on the local guy know someone is needs to jump on the guy talking shit from Charlotte. And get it on tape so we can post it on THEIR website and then they can really cry.

FreSh03Gt

Established Member
Its still an ugly a$$ car. I for one am NOT worried about any delusional GTO owners. Let them talk their sh!t it will make them all brave in the spring and I can have some fun.

Users who are viewing this thread