The Hunt For Red October is now a reality.

Stanley

Established Member
Premium Member
I'm starting a new project for work that is writing the calibration procedure for accelerometers. One of the experts I'm going to be using for help used to take vibration samples on hulls of newly built and refurbished ships.
Do they take reading on the hulls to find (and avoid) it's resonant frequency? That's pretty interesting stuff to a very small group of people.

Dusten

Established Member
Submarines have a very different approach for torpedo evasion. Order up all ahead flank (usually followed by the word "cavitate") Noisy, but if the bad guy already had a mediocre firing solution, you're more concerned with outrunning a torpedo, and surviving vice sticking around and developing a firing solution on the guy who just shot at you. You'll also likely change depth, and launch countermeasures to deceive the incoming torpedo.

When I was aboard my second boat, we participated in a TORPEX where we tested Mk50 torpedoes. These are small and launched from ASW airborne platforms. Our ship was free to do everything needed to avoid. These torpedos homed-in and impacted us greater than 80% of the time. Obviously there was no warhead, but they're designed to just take a boat out of the fight by punching a hole in the hull, so a boat would be forced to slow and come shallow.

The mk50 and it's replacement the mk54 are used on ships too. With the 46 being the workhorse.

1 Alibi 2

Veteran,...retired Navy !
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Is that a George Washington class in the background or Ethan Allen I do know it is a boomer and not an Ohio class, 2nd photo.
The 1st pic, ( Rota Spain ), was taken sometime between Dec. 1976 & June 1979, yes they are the old boomers.
2nd pic is Guam, sometime between Aug. 1979 & July 1981, no new boats here either..

Last edited:

PhoenixM3

Hello Kitty Slayer
Established Member
Premium Member
The mk50 and it's replacement the mk54 are used on ships too. With the 46 being the workhorse.
Didn't know that, but believe it. I believe the TORPEX we were involved in they were all air dropped. Regardless, they killed us during most events

Socal Mach

300+ club
Established Member
I'm surprised the 46 is still being used. A majority of our torpex's were with 50's with the 54's in testing. That was back in the early 2000's.

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
I'm surprised the 46 is still being used. A majority of our torpex's were with 50's with the 54's in testing. That was back in the early 2000's.
We dropped a handfull of 46s and 50s from the P3 back in the mid 2000s when i was playing VP navy...never vs a sub though...always surface ships

Socal Mach

300+ club
Established Member
We dropped a handfull of 46s and 50s from the P3 back in the mid 2000s when i was playing VP navy...never vs a sub though...always surface ships
I was HS for most of my time. Yeah, it was always against the drone targets at the ranges.

Dusten

Established Member

When I retired in 2019 we only carried 46s on ships, never 54's. P8/p3's carried a mix of the 46/54 due to inventory.

BOOGIE MAN

Logic and Reason
Established Member
I was wrong on that youtube channel's name, Operations Room. Good content on there if you haven't seen any of it.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
Garbage. You still need a reactor which produces steam, has reactor coolant pumps which produce a signature unique to US Submarines, (as do other country's nuke boats) If anything, it will trade one type of radiates noise for another.....

I am the White Jonesey

Nah bro... electrification is the future!

PhoenixM3

Hello Kitty Slayer
Established Member
Premium Member
Don’t the Diesel Boats run on electric when submerged?

Wouldn’t we be going back to the technology of 30s/40s for battery power subs? LOL
Yes, but bug effing batteries that allow them to remain submerged for days before coming to PD (periscope depth) to charge using their diesel generators. Nukes have a huge main battery too. Think of a battery on a nuke boat like an UPS battery backup. If there’s a problem with the reactor plant, You need something to provide power while the boat comes shallow, raises a snorkel mast and uses the diesel to help provide power until the reactor is back online.

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
Yes, but bug effing batteries that allow them to remain submerged for days before coming to PD (periscope depth) to charge using their diesel generators. Nukes have a huge main battery too. Think of a battery on a nuke boat like an UPS battery backup. If there’s a problem with the reactor plant, You need something to provide power while the boat comes shallow, raises a snorkel mast and uses the diesel to help provide power until the reactor is back online.
But it is LifePo?...

Users who are viewing this thread