The last Cobra R race car?

b4409

Established Member
I'm guessing this must be about the last 95R (or 93 or 2000) built to compete in club type racing? Someone else started it, now I'm finishing it.

She's almost ready for NASA Sebring in October. I had it out to Homestead for a track day shakedown in August after a bit of a rough time at Putnam a few months back. At 90+ degrees, the car ran great after its most recent "spa" treatment! The guys running ex-Winston cup cars admitted to being somewhat freaked out by the little white mustang passing them. How you can go so slow in a 700hp tube frame car is the real question. I thought it was a fitting tribute to Bruce's Corvette quest when a radical full race C5 rolled out of a big taj-ma-trailer semi and then went for a wild spin through the grass right in front of me after his bold move. Whoops, he had to think, I guess he really WAS carrying good speed into turn 10 . . . :-D Not that I'm a track day racer, but you have to enjoy these kinds of things as long as nothing gets scratched.

Anyway, it's hard to believe it's already been 14 years :eek: since these cars were produced. I was thinking I was moving UP to an SN95 car :thumbsup:

I can can only marvel that, for a brief moment in time, my car still has all of the "original" sheet metal ;-)

Still lots of work to do . . .

Stanger58

Established Member
Lookin' GOOD, Bruce!! Can't wait to see it all cleaned up! :banana:

When do I get to drive it?? :poke:

Be well!

TXPD

Rookie Racer
Established Member
There is a chance that we will be at the October NASA @ Sebring. If we make it, I will be sure to look for you.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Bruce:

Looks very nice. Good luck with it.

One question for you though. Do you have any video of the Corvette incident?!?!!? ;-):poke::p

Does that R really have a clock on the dash!?!?!? :dw:

:thumbsup::coolman::beer:

b4409

Established Member
Lookin' GOOD, Bruce!! Can't wait to see it all cleaned up! :banana:

When do I get to drive it?? :poke:

Be well!

I think I owe you one, Jeff. Thanks again for the help on this one. When are you coming down?

There is a chance that we will be at the October NASA @ Sebring. If we make it, I will be sure to look for you.

Sounds great. Or, I'm sure I'll find you at Road Atlanta or someplace like that. Looking forward to it.

Bruce:

Looks very nice. Good luck with it.

One question for you though. Do you have any video of the Corvette incident?!?!!? ;-):poke::p

Does that R really have a clock on the dash!?!?!? :dw:

:thumbsup::coolman::beer:

Bruce, the clock is the most important part of the car :-D It works!

I left my camera mount in the race car up north. No video :bash:

Nice ride. What's the history on this R??

I think it came from Texas, then Kansas City to Scott M.

lately I have:

- Installed roll cage including dash bar
- removed steering lock
- removed airbags, installed "mexican" airbag
- remounted p/s cooler
- replaced fuel cell, fuel pump, etc.
- replace cc plates
- installed master switch
- installed window net
- replace shifter
- installed transponder
- reconfigured cooling
- dyno tune - nice and easy 350hp/350TQ
- etc. etc.

Last edited:

cobra186

Stang Trader
Established Member
What's the net for on the right side of the seat? Is that suppose to act as a another form of window net for the right side of the driver? It appears to be attach to the dash which is nothing more that a flimsy composite material and won't hold in a fender bender much less an actual wreck.

Awesome looking car! I would love to have a "race" 95R, just something about them...

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
What's the net for on the right side of the seat? Is that suppose to act as a another form of window net for the right side of the driver? It appears to be attach to the dash which is nothing more that a flimsy composite material and won't hold in a fender bender much less an actual wreck.

Awesome looking car! I would love to have a "race" 95R, just something about them...

To catch your coconut in the case of a right side impact! :read::idea:

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
I think it came from Texas, then Kansas City to Scott M.

lately I have:

- Installed roll cage including dash bar
- removed steering lock
- removed airbags, installed "mexican" airbag
- remounted p/s cooler
- replaced fuel cell, fuel pump, etc.
- replace cc plates
- installed master switch
- installed window net
- replace shifter
- installed transponder
- reconfigured cooling
- dyno tune - nice and easy 350hp/350TQ
- etc. etc.

Bruce,

Nicely done. Was this a completely stock car when you started on it? Are you planning on attending the big MCA event at Barber?

Tom

b4409

Established Member
Bruce,

Nicely done. Was this a completely stock car when you started on it? Are you planning on attending the big MCA event at Barber?

Tom

Thanks Tom, Bill and everyone for the comments. I can't take all the credit - the car came pre-decorated and with most of a MM suspension as well as Edelbrock heads, a big ass intake, stripped interior, etc. Another board member sold it to me as a great basis for a race car. If Scott wants to chime in, I'm sure he will. It's my 3rd Cobra R and about my 7th mustang. I'm not counting, but I'm sure I have spent another $10k or so on it with more to go. This shit aint cheap ya know :eek: The nice thing was that it was just modified enough to not have to look back. I'm nostalgic too and didn't want to cut up a stock car. That also would not be cost effective. I was torn between a real s197 build (don't have the time) and this type of car which I think I know pretty well. It's at a slight disadvantage competitevly, but a fox body won the nationals last year so . . .

I PM'd you for more details about your set-up work. What does the car wiegh? Did you relo the battery? Any front brake cooling?

Let's place some bets: What does this car weigh? I have no idea yet. :shrug:

What do you guys think? ( I will post battery relo pic - also has alloy heads and long tubes)

Winner gets a case of beer of my choice at next event :beer::beer:

Bruce Byerly

Last edited:

b4409

Established Member
Here's the odyssey battery install. The RH door is not yet gutted - still has glass. It has a panhard rod and torque arm, plus coil overs. The clock still works and I left the defrost and an e-brake remaining in it too. So, it's heavy. I was hoping to preserve some defrost since I've needed it about 20% of the time in my short racing career.

Target end-of-race weight is 3,325 based on 9.5 lbs/hp. I've every bit of 225 dressed, so let's say 3,050 is the target empty weight. I think their has to be and easily removed 100 lbs. Then it will still be heavy;-)

I'll go first: 3,265 empty. What say you?

Cobra-R

Established Member
Nice looking car, Bruce.

Looks like it is pretty idenical to my 95R, My car is in the 3300-3400 lb range depending on how much gas is in it, so I guess 3350.

Brian

Cobra R Man

IMSA RACE CAR
Established Member
Bruce,

VERY nice! Glad to see you having fun with it. Hope to see you at some track event.

Are you in S.FL now, and not IL? Have you recieved my e-mails about your extra '95R parts?

b4409

Established Member
Nice looking car, Bruce.

Looks like it is pretty idenical to my 95R, My car is in the 3300-3400 lb range depending on how much gas is in it, so I guess 3350.

Brian

Thanks - it's got a ways to go for sure. I kinda hate to bring out the sawzall though. Between the mufflers, RH door gutting, a pinned rear decklid, misc trim removal I think at least 100 will come out pretty easily

I need to find some scales. I really hate to buy them but they could come in handy for cornerweighting. Have any I can borrow?

Bruce

Cobra-R

Established Member
Thanks - it's got a ways to go for sure. I kinda hate to bring out the sawzall though. Between the mufflers, RH door gutting, a pinned rear decklid, misc trim removal I think at least 100 will come out pretty easily

I need to find some scales. I really hate to buy them but they could come in handy for cornerweighting. Have any I can borrow?

Bruce

I reserve the right to modify my weight guess if you start gutting doors, ect. :beer:

Yes, I do have scales. If we are going to be at the same event, I could bring them with.

Brian

Users who are viewing this thread