The Model Maisto Should have made!

DaveSVT03

Established Member
I combined a 99GT Vert with an 03 Coupe and this is the end result.....

(PS my son's happy with his new 99 coupe)

DaveSVT03

Established Member
Yea, I got a few scrapes to prove my work too. I slammed my finger with a hole punch knocking the coupe top off the body. It's on there pretty well. It was fun though - my wife thinks I'm obsessed.

cito

Official Kumho Shredder
Established Member
She's probably right, but there are worse things about which to obsess. Nice work man.

KDog

Established Member
Sweet!! How much to get a coupe painted Sonic Blue? ;)

Cobra10thaniv

Established Member
I juess i could try that just have to fig out a way to paint the seat inserts red and come up with somthing for the wheels to match my 10th aniv blk vert

lRageATMl

GO TERPS!
Established Member
Originally posted by Moonlight96GT
I'm lost....what exactly did you do?

notice how one was a vert (GT) and one was a coupe (cobra)? Now the cobra is a vert and the GT is a coupe...

Moonlight96GT

Established Member
hehe...I only see 3 pics of a vert Cobra model, looks the same as the one I bought.

Matthew

Edit: just noticed that they don't make a black vert, so hence the reason you cut the roof off of a coupe with the boot from a vert GT model you had. Nice job! :)

Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Wow, that is really cool. You should send a picture to Maisto and maybe they will mass produce it. Nice job!
:)

DaveSVT03

Established Member
I've received a couple of questions about how to do this. Here is my quick summary. Please PM me if you want more detail.

Buy 2 maisto models, 99GT Vert, 03 Coupe - both black. I got mine from www.diecastmuscle.com for 17.50 each.

To take apart either model:

From the bottom remove the suspension screws, two each for front and back. Take out wheels, springs, etc. Remove the plastic cover that is the cats and trans cover. Remove screw underneath. Remove two screws in rear wheel wells. Gently pull out the plastic chasis from the metal body.

For the convertible, gently scrape the plastic cement from the post holding the windshield in and pull it out slowly. Open the doors and pull off the dash for better access. Also, pull the tonneau cover off of the back of the seats.

For the Coupe, remove the dash board by opening the doors and pulling the dash off. Place the metal body upside down and place a thick book under each end leaving the roof of the coupe suspended between the two books. With a hole punch, tap with force, but not too much, the two metal posts on each end of the body. I rotated so I wouldn't bend the frame out of shape.

After separating the coupe roof (it will take a few minutes) reverse the process with the appropriate swap of parts - roof for the winshield andtonneau cover. I drilled two small holes in the seat area of the 03 to insert the tabs on the tonneau cover.

:beer:

Silver 03 Cobra

My buddy and his wife just gave me one. My real car is a silver 03 coupe. They don't make a silver coupe but they make a silver vert and that's what they bought me. I have to say this is a very impressive piece. If you don't have one I highly recommend it. The detail is impressive.

Warp03Cobra

Community Racers
Established Member
Great Idea....

I'm already planning on putting the FR500 rims on my Maisto...

when Autoart makes the FR500 anyways...but if autoart is making it...aint no way i'm taking it apart to upgrade a MAISTO!!!

Users who are viewing this thread