The next Ford Focus

BRIZZOK84

Established Member
fordfocus2012jpgmaxw630.jpg
[/IMG]
GREG MIGLIORE on 5/10/2011
Ford product gurus are hard at work flogging prototypes of the 2012 Focus ST on challenging roads around the world in preparation of the hot hatch's launch next year.

The car debuted in concept guise at the Paris motor show and is the halo of the Focus lineup, packing 246 hp from a turbocharged four-cylinder EcoBoost engine paired with a six-speed manual. Ford released shots of the Focus ST in light camouflage today as it tries to build momentum for the sporty addition to its small-car lineup.

We've already seen the car, but these are testing shots. Ford says about 60 prototypes are pounding the pavement at the Nürburgring, on the autobahn and in California and Britain.

The Focus ST will compete against the Mazda Mazdaspeed 3 and, to a lesser extent, the Volkswagen GTI in the enthusiast hatch market.

With an upgraded interior, sporty body parts and wild wheels, the Paris prototype was a head-turner. As Ford CEO Alan Mulally said in Paris, “It levitates.”

Let's hope it drives that way.

Read the Full Press Release

New Ford Focus ST on Track: Prototype Testing Underway from California Freeways to German Nürburgring

-- Development of Ford's sporty new Focus ST is on track as engineers put prototypes through punishing regime to hone performance and driving dynamics

-- New 2.0-litre EcoBoost-powered Focus ST targets both 250 PS (246 hp) and impressive fuel economy

-- Focus ST, Ford's first global performance car, goes on sale next year

COLOGNE, Germany, May 11, 2011 – If a new Ford Focus with an eye-catching paint job, ground-hugging suspension, big wheels and tyres and a tell-tale central rear double exhaust passes you on the autobahn or freeway, chances are you have seen one of the development prototypes for the all-new high-performance Focus ST launching next year.

In Europe and North America, Ford's Team RS and SVT engineering teams are putting a fleet of around 60 pre-production prototypes through a punishing regime of testing and development to fine-tune the car's driving dynamics and performance. The prototypes are based on standard new Focus vehicles and, in some cases, prior-generation Focus ST models.

“The new Focus ST is eagerly awaited around the world, which is appropriate as this is our first global performance model,” said Jost Capito, Ford's director of Global Performance Vehicles. “It must live up to Ford's reputation for producing affordable yet exciting and sporty versions of its smaller cars that reward and delight enthusiast drivers, but can also be used every day.

“We've done all the engineering groundwork, and now we're using some of the most demanding roads we can find in Europe and North America to validate and fine tune the performance and driving dynamics.”
fordfocusst2012jpgmaxw6.jpg
[/IMG]
The new Focus ST will be powered by a high-performance version of Ford's new 2.0-litre EcoBoost engine, targeting an exhilarating 250 PS (246 hp), while still delivering significantly better fuel economy than the previous generation Focus ST sold in Europe.

“Fuel efficiency is a key leadership target for Ford Motor Company globally. We want to be class-leading even with a performance vehicle, so we're working on getting the best possible blend of high performance and fuel economy from the new ST,” said Matthias Tonn, chief program engineer, Global Performance Products, Ford of Europe.

Recently, the development team completed demanding cold weather testing in northern Europe, as well as exacting tests and exercises to refine steering performance.

“We're sweating all the details – fine-tuning, testing, and fine tuning again many of the small but critical details to make sure it is worthy of the ST badge,” Tonn said. “We will build upon and improve the ride, steering and handling strengths that defined the current European Focus ST.”

With the new Focus ST, a key focal point for the Ford development team is to deliver an even more engaging driver experience, from its highly tuned Electric Power Assist Steering (EPAS) system to uniq ue, driver-orientated seats.

“The seats and seating position were very good in the previous Focus ST, but the new model is sleeker and the driver will sit lower. The new seats which will provide even more support,” Tonn said.

The all-new Focus ST is Ford's first global performance car, conceived under the One Ford strategy. It brings the ST performance badge to North American and Asian customers for the first time.

“For enthusiasts in North America and Asia who have asked why our compact performance models were not available to them, well, the wait is almost over,” Capito said. “The new Focus ST will offer exactly the same exciting driving experience wherever it's on sale.

“Like the Focus ST and RS models before it, the new Focus ST's final set-up will be achieved after painstaking tuning on some of the most demanding roads we can find from California to the Nürburgring, and from high-speed German autobahns to classic British B-roads,” Capito added. “Keep your eyes open for our prototypes as we work on delivering a Focus ST driving experience that will delight performance car fans around the world.”

Fans of the new Focus ST can keep up to date with progress on the official Ford Focus Facebook page Ford Focus | Facebook.

I know that it's not info on the next mustang but what do you all think?

BRIZZOK84

Established Member
The model in the article they are talking about is the "ST" version. I think that it will still be FWD but I have read many article's say that the RS or the US version from SVT will be AWD. The really interesting part is that Ford is using the entire company to produce a better car. I hope the next generation mustang is put under the same development strategy.

Last edited:

afro

Why?
Established Member
It's FWD.

As long as you keep it stock and don't up the boost to over 350, FWD will be fine.

I agree, however, an AWD option or model would be awesome.

wjk

Established Member
Ford's been talking it up like it earth shattering. Its pretty much just a MazdaSpeed3. I like it but, they should of made it AWD like everyone else said.

2013-Ford-Focus-ST-Front-Angle-View.jpg

2010_mazda_mazdaspeed3_f34_lt_1_815.jpg

Last edited:

Shifty Powers

The Shifty Mobile
Established Member
Ide DD the shit out of it though..

I thought this was their version for the RS in europe and all.. Thought this was all we get here for now lol

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Ford's been talking it up like it earth shattering. Its pretty much just a MazdaSpeed3. I like it but, they should of made it AWD like everyone else said.

2013-Ford-Focus-ST-Front-Angle-View.jpg

2010_mazda_mazdaspeed3_f34_lt_1_815.jpg

Yes, very similar to the MazdaSpeed3. I do like the Ford version better. Especially the front end. Not my kind of car, but I do like it.

XtraTQ

Established Member
+1 on wishing it was AWD. It would still make a really fun DD!

Fenixfire

Slower than ever
Established Member
I really like the looks, but I want an AWD RS with more power. I really want one for a DD, but Im gonna wait and see if they bring out an AWD version.

swoosh_stang

I'm not evil, Trust Me
Established Member
The ST will probably already be in that range. The SE 5-door starts at 18k, the SEL starts at 21k, the platinum starts at 22.7k, with the handling pack, styling pack and navi the Platinum is over 26k.

If they made an AWD version, it would be in the same price range as an STi and an Evo, and you can get a Boss Mustang for that.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread