The Official MGW Shifter Thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkscobra01

Banned
the mgw feels great. Just installed friday night. only thing is, it's too tight. Plus, when I try to put it in any gear, its like I hit a small little wall before it will go in. Not smoothly, like everyone says. I have the fiore quad and firewall adjuster. You think it just needs to be cranked down more at the firewall or what?

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
The shifter needs about 200-500 miles of break in time.

-Jeff

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
Yeah, that could have a little bit to do with it.

-Jeff

mkscobra01

Banned
well, I have tried what I can with the adjuster and it's still as difficult as ever. I'm not hard on my car so I don't belive it to be syncro's. Tell me, when you guys are on it, and you shift, how hard is it to get into gear from 2nd to third??

svt99rag

Established Member
mkscobra01 said:
well, I have tried what I can with the adjuster and it's still as difficult as ever. I'm not hard on my car so I don't belive it to be syncro's. Tell me, when you guys are on it, and you shift, how hard is it to get into gear from 2nd to third??
its hard for about 1000 miles (mine was anyways) and now its awesome. Give it time to "break in" and you will love it.

mkscobra01

Banned
...ok. I guess I am just being impatient. I just want to be able shift without it hurting my freakin' palm. lol, thanks.

About2bite

SVTNProgress
Established Member
Quick question for you guys. Is the Red and blue handled MGW different from the Orange one available on their web site? If so what is the difference? Which is preferred??

Thanks

Josh

About2bite

SVTNProgress
Established Member
I believe all you can get is the orange now

Ok thanks, do you know what the difference is between them? And which is preferred??
I would assume it's not the same shifter with just a different color :shrug:

About2bite

SVTNProgress
Established Member
I just talked to MGW and the orange handle shifter is more like the best of both worlds, it allows for the quick shifts like the blue handle but it also gives you the reach of the red handle. It is not in between the two it is a combination of the benefits of both. Hope this helps anyone interested, mine should be here around Christmas :rockon:

MikeW

Established Member
I have the red and orange handles. I stick with teh red it feels much better to me and i have had others agree that the red on feels better than their MGW orange.I ws going to get a blue one to try but like the red so much that I dont think the blue could beat it IMO.

Here are pics of the two.... I had a thread here somewhere but cant find it:

MGW_TRIAX_ONG_RED023.jpg

MGW_TRIAX_ONG_RED004.jpg

MGW_TRIAX_ONG_RED022.jpg

MGW_TRIAX_ONG_RED003.jpg

MGW_TRIAX_ONG_RED019.jpg

MGW_TRIAX_ONG_RED018.jpg

D-Con

...Rather have a Buick?
Established Member
Anyone that doesn't like their's, PM me. Red Handle even better.

I like the looks of the red-handle, I think it would provide a more secure shift into 2,4,6 because of the knob angle.

About2bite

SVTNProgress
Established Member
So the red handle is the shorter one? And the blue is the longer one? That might be what he told me, I just looked at the first post on the thread as far as which is which

Thanks for the pics

LS1-Larry

Established Member

WOW........this is my exact situation.....I just installed mine on Christmas eve and have almost 200 miles on it.......the bestway I can describe the shifts as.....when you shift its almost like it goes click click(dosent make clicking sound just using it as a refrence)then its in gear.......not smooth like everyone describes.........we set the stops that it came with.......should I just remove the stops all together since the T56 has internal stops????
I was hoping that it just needed break in time!
Also a little back ground info........
we just installed a Spec3+ clutch kit,Fidenza flywheel a new factory clutch cable and 26 spline input shaft,LFP TOB retainer sleeve,new Ford TOB and the piolet bearing the Spec3+ kit came with.
I have a firewall adjuster but not sure what kind....as it was on the car when I purchased it.
So whats the deal with my new MGW shifter????:shrug:

Last edited:

About2bite

SVTNProgress
Established Member
^^I have no problems with mine and I have only put a few miles on it, I used the stops but backed them off quite a bit.
I feel the notchiness you are referring to but my factory one was worse, i'll see how it improves over the next few hundered miles, but as of now I am completely satisfied with my MGW.

SDsnake

Established Member
Wow

I just uninstalled my POS 5.0 shifter! That thing was soo noisy. I UPgraded to the MGW...quieter than the stocker! I would have paid double....Best Buy..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread