The one weirdest thing your never about your home state.

wrksnfx

FordTrucksDaRestJustSuck
Established Member
Missouri

The town of Tightwad is home to the Tightwad Bank, which draws customers from across the country.

Texas

The state legislature once accidentally honored the Boston Strangler because they weren't paying attention to the bills they were passing.

Wisconsin

There's an upside down replica of the White House that makes absolutely no sense. <THEY ALL MAKE PERFECT SENSE TO ME!

The 1 Weirdest Thing You Never Knew About Your Home State

trc46

Layer of Pipe
Established Member
Apparently Nebraska has a navy lol and Oklahoma is the only state to have a resident hit by "space junk"

pho_phizzat

Dapper as ****
Established Member
[Wyoming]

A whole town was built on top of an abandoned airport, with the old runways serving as main roads.

The town of Bar Nunn was established in 1982 atop the old Wardwell Field airport. The original runways were used as the town's first streets. Over 2,000 people now live in the community.

It is a subdivision of the City I live in.

getTwisted

I Remember My First Beer.
Established Member
Cool, NC had 2 Atom Bombs Dropped on us in 1961. Not sure if I feel dumber or smarter now.

FourSixPony

SLO GT
Established Member
Illinois

The Burger King in the town of Mattoon actually opened before the national chain and registered a statewide trademark in 1959. They sued to be able to operate as the only Burger King in Illinois, but were foiled in court -- though the Burger King chain is still not allowed to operate within 20 miles of the original restaurant.

1wild-horse

Purveyor of missed information
Established Member
Wow the one in the link for IA is in my backyard. I work in Britt. What a screwy celebration though. Invite a bunch of bums and vagrants to town and throw a party. The police actually watch the trains for people hitching rides.

SVTlove

USAFR Recruiter
Established Member
God Bless Kentucky

There are more barrels of bourbon here than there are people.

According to the Kentucky Distillers' Association, there are 4.7 million barrels of bourbon aging within the state, compared to 4.3 million people aging within the state. Kentucky also maintains is also the world's leading producer of bourbon, producing 95 percent of its supply.

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
Florida

Remains of a human civilization as old as the ancient Egyptians were found buried in a bog.

03SVTscott

Established Member
Over sixty years ago, a brutal, terrifying car accident occurred on Cedarvale Road, in Onondonga, New York, just ten miles southwest of Syracuse. Since that fateful day some six decades ago, it has been said that the road, which is known better by its nickname, “13 Curves,” has been haunted by the souls of those who died in this tragic accident.

Drive XR7

NE Ohio's Fastest
Established Member
Home to the first foreign assembly plant, Honda.
Home to the first man to set foot on the moon, Neil Armstrong.

Oh, and this according to huffpost.

The United States Congress failed to go through all the motions of recognizing Ohio as an official state when it was first recognized in 1803. Congress recognized the state in 1953 after the error was discovered, but decided to retroactively make the official founding date reflect the original year.

Users who are viewing this thread