The Real 2015 Mustang

Unrealford

Established Member
Phil, your post above is pretty snazzy, but you can't go with that roofline, It will create huge blind spots, which is something EVERYONE has complained about with the Camaro.

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Established Member
Phil, your post above is pretty snazzy, but you can't go with that roofline, It will create huge blind spots, which is something EVERYONE has complained about with the Camaro.
Thanks man, but just to be clear, only the Mach 5 concept is my chop up. The beauty above is by a man named Sean Smith and some are by Top Notch.

Blind spots are bad but think about it... What causes the left side blind spot? The B pillar. The use of the current Mustangs blind spot mirrors work wonders and... rear and backup cameras are either Federally mandated now or, will shortly be in all new cars.

Edit: The Camaro's pillars in general are the complaint. The size of the A and B pillars are HUGE. The current Mustang has an A, B and C pillar and it's the B pillar that needs to go. The Camaro's low roofline combined with a high belt line and mountainous hood makes it an awful experience... Let's not forget those huge fat pillars and the two Arcade style gauges in the Pig Gen.

Last edited:

Unrealford

Established Member
Thanks man, but just to be clear, only the Mach 5 concept is my chop up. The beauty above is a man named Sean Smith and some are by Top Notch.

Blind spots are bad but think about it... What causes the left side blind spot? The B pillar. The use of the current Mustangs blind spot mirrors work wonders and... rear and backup cameras are either Federally mandated now or, will shortly be in all new cars.

Didn't they get rid of the blind spot mirror? I thought there not using them anymore?

kingnut

Established Member
lol at these photos. i will come back when real photos are taken of the 15.

00_silvergt

Established Member
112031d1339175344-2015-mustang-mule-testing-irs-spotted-race.jpg

Blending nice, another possibility.

this i do like

ViciousJay

Established Member
If thats the new mustang i might be sold on a '15 but i want to see power and what adjustments have been made to the coyote

cobracrazee

Established Member
i like the fastback u got up there and the red one that looked like the aston, when need
curves and fat fenders please. Hate cars with sharp edges like the new corvette spy photos or the ctsv,

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Established Member
Here is the EVOs concept sketches, included with the sketches was the concept posted below. The EVOs got the green light, the other had more aggressive design language. (These are Ford sketches)

Ford-Evos_Concept_2011_1600x1200_wallpaper_29.jpg

The one that didn't make it... I think I know why...

Ford-Evos_Concept_2011_1600x1200_wallpaper_2b.jpg

What were in the middle of is the "Jenner, Arnie and Rambo" control group study. The EVOs (Jenner) gets the most publicity, the Rambo (Mach 5/Road Fury) will never be accepted as Mustang as the 3rd concept (Arnie) will get the green light and a Showroom prototype will be built from it (Mach III).

All I can guarantee is that I will love the 2015 car ;)

Last edited:

walked_u_hard

Established Member
hell no, as others said it looks like the fusion/tarus, and i 100% wouldnt buy a mustang resembling anything like that in the op.

Lemers

Established Member
I like A lot of the styles here, but i think they are too exotic for a $20k - $40k car. As far as equipment and quality (not style) goes I'm thinking the Genesis Coupe. It had IRS and weighs around Ford target for the next Mustang. I know a would had considered a Genesis if it had a 420 option and IRS.

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Established Member
I like A lot of the styles here, but i think they are too exotic for a $20k - $40k car. As far as equipment and quality (not style) goes I'm thinking the Genesis Coupe. It had IRS and weighs around Ford target for the next Mustang. I know a would had considered a Genesis if it had a 420 option and IRS.
That's an issue and I'm glad you brought it up. Really think what the 2015 Mustang is... It's an upgraded D2C chassis and is using an older global engine/transmission. The IRS and VPCL is been paid for from Europe and Austrialia since 2005, the D2C has paid for itself in the S197. The drivetrain is shared with almost everything.

This is how Ford does this Pony car thing... It only looks like a new car... I assure you it's not.

Example: the 1994 SN95 chassis was an upgraded Fox body called the Fox 4. The drivetrain remained until Ford could afford to release the 4.6. The current car pays for the new one. Only Ford can do his due to continuous production.

Believe it or not ladies and gentleman, your 2003-2004 Terminators are basically just an upgraded 1979 Mustang. Did nobody know this?

Last edited:

Badasp5.0

Established Member
That's an issue and I'm glad you brought it up. Really think what the 2015 Mustang is... It's an upgraded D2C chassis and is using an older global engine/transmission. The IRS and VPCL is been paid for from Europe and Austrialia since 2005, the D2C has paid for itself in the S197. The drivetrain is shared with almost everything.

This is how Ford does this Pony car thing... It only looks like a new car... I assure you it's not.

Example: the 1994 SN95 chassis was an upgraded Fox body called the Fox 4. The drivetrain remained until Ford could afford to release the 4.6. The current car pays for the new one. Only Ford can do his due to continuous production.

Believe it or not ladies and gentleman, your 2003-2004 Terminators are basically just an upgraded 1979 Mustang. Did nobody know this?

That is the case. However I personally feel that the 4.6 was to be in the SN95 from the begining but due to the lackluster performance of the early 2v 4.6s the T-bird 5.0 (which the SN95 5.0 shares alot of compents (Intake accessory dress ETC compared to the Fox 5.0) was substituted.

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Established Member
That is the case. However I personally feel that the 4.6 was to be in the SN95 from the begining but due to the lackluster performance of the early 2v 4.6s the T-bird 5.0 (which the SN95 5.0 shares alot of compents (Intake accessory dress ETC compared to the Fox 5.0) was substituted.

That's exactly right, the risk involved in the 4.6 eventually led to the Coyote. The 4.6 was pretty much paid for by the time the SN95 got it. The Crown Vic's led the way in the early 90's on that one. The 1992 Mach III used a supercharged 4.6 I believe, a total look at 2003-'04 if you ask me... 12 years before it happened...

The next logical step in the Mustangs evolution is the CBIRS and VPCL suspension along with a world class sports coupe interior and exterior and it climbs to a legitimate world class sports coupe.

This "Slightly more expensive, world class sports coupe" is Fords alternative to a "Inexpensive, MPG sports compact" Mustang that Ford KNOWS you all hate.

There is just no more room for middle ground anymore with picky consumers and increasing competition. They get a lot of hell for being low class or half assed, so... The customer is always right.

One relief though, the "EVOS" was first to be scraped for sure. We wouldn't have seen it so soon other wise. Which is why I based my Mach 5 from the sketch a few post back.

Last edited:

Vigilante375

Established Member
I don't like any of the concept drawings. Stupid and ugly but they better come out with something more appealing.

And no way the 1st post concept even compares to a 1 series. I see nothing between the 2 that is even close to comparison.

I'll just keep my eyes closed until April or whenever the real 2015 Mustang is shown.

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Established Member
I don't like any of the concept drawings. Stupid and ugly but they better come out with something more appealing.

And no way the 1st post concept even compares to a 1 series. I see nothing between the 2 that is even close to comparison.

I'll just keep my eyes closed until April or whenever the real 2015 Mustang is shown.
I have to side with Sunbuned on this one, the Control Group Mustang does have a very similar silhouette. The details in between are very different, but the shape is all 1 series. I'm glad the CG Mustang was released, so you guys have the opportunity to say "NO THANKS".

What I do hope is that the Nextang adopts the 1 series coupes curb weight. The slight dimension/wheelbase drops in the '15 are good for some decent chunks of fat. Could a base 5.0 GT carry a curb weight of 33XX? Team Mustang would love to give it a try.

Guessing the basic dimensions
Wheelbase: 106.5"
Length: 181"
Fr/Rr Track: 61.5"/62.2"
Width: 70ish" (No mirrors)
Weight: 3417lbs
Height: 53.2"

I posted some guesses about a year ago on Camaro5 or GMI. Pretty much unchanged, I figured the 107" wheelbase wouldn't change much... It's optimal. Of course the track would decrease to reflect the wheelbase. I knew it wouldn't be much shorter due to the 5.0. Weight will be at least 200lbs lighter than the current V8 car. The Control Blade IRS is lightweight, it's only a few pounds heavier than the solid axle but has far less unsprung weight obviously. Ford will use a lot of UHSS, Boron and Aluminium. Overall length will decrease 7 inches into M3 territory. This "new" chassis will use a lot of the DEW Lite weight savings techniques, I nicknamed the chassis DEW14 on GMI (not the real name). The frame will be ridged and light as it can be.

We desperately need the new cars height as well. A lot of styling secrets could be imagined with that number. The spirited concepts that display the "Silhouette Innovation suggest a lower roofline. The slim A and B pillars depend on a sturdier, lower roof. Multilayered pillars made from hydro formed UHSS or Boron is the new Ford. Lightweight, strong and worth what their asking...

Last edited:

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
I like you're thinking Pill, but no way do we ever see a V8 Mustang anything in the 33xx range anymore. This will still carry it's $20K rental car DNA. All that new aluminum and HSS/Boron production tooling is very very expensive for ~70K units/yr volume. Will Ford be able to amortize that kind of investment for these modest volumes? We won't know until they release the specs It's much easier to justify the case for the F150 or Focus, that sells many 100K units per year.

The new Viper was barely able to squeak under 3300, and it is a much smaller car with a space frame full of HSS/aluminum/carbon fiber. I personally think the weight will stay close to the same (not including the addition of a 4cyl), and most of the lightweight work will be offset by added content and new gov't safety regulations.

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Established Member
I like you're thinking Pill, but no way do we ever see a V8 Mustang anything in the 33xx range anymore. This will still carry it's $20K rental car DNA. All that new aluminum and HSS/Boron production tooling is very very expensive for ~70K units/yr volume. Will Ford be able to amortize that kind of investment for these modest volumes? We won't know until they release the specs It's much easier to justify the case for the F150 or Focus, that sells many 100K units per year.

The new Viper was barely able to squeak under 3300, and it is a much smaller car with a space frame full of HSS/aluminum/carbon fiber. I personally think the weight will stay close to the same (not including the addition of a 4cyl), and most of the lightweight work will be offset by added content and new gov't safety regulations.
3300lbs is nearly impossible, the new hydroformed UHSS safety structure is good for a small chunk as well as the slight downsizing. I just don't see them breaking the 3399lbs mark. They will be closer to 3450, and that's at least a big step in the right direction. I really can't estimate how much of this "Silouette Innovation" lightens and streamlines the car. The Fiesta lost 88lbs just by swapping to Boron and most likely reduced the casting size. I was unaware that Ford was in full swing with this.

The mention of a lightweight interior has been thrown around however, interiors are just as Federally mandated as the exterior is. Unless Ford found a way around that... Not likely...

As for sales projections, it may not be as much as units per year but units over the lifespan. Fords sales projections are probably long term and global sales will increase the 70k margin slightly. That 70k number is from a 10 year old model, I expect a sales increase with the new model.

Another thing, this chassis is used. It probably won't share much with the D2C, but it is used. The R&D cost could have been drastically reduced using the 10+ year old structure as a foundation. We may have to factor in that most R&D was completed in 2004 with the DEW Lite. Also consider if the new DEW is being "down shared" as with the ATS to the Camaro. The Mustang will be the host vehicle for the new chassis... All these things have to be known and considered...

What we considered "quality" 10 years ago is industry standard now. I can almost guarantee that the Mustang will still be out classed by the R8 and M3 as far as material quality goes.

It almost appears that over the last 20 years, Ford has researched and developed the 2015 Mustang piece by piece. The chassis, CBIRS, the 5.0, the Getrag, the interior tech. The '15 is just a more elaborate parts bin car. No need to start trying to associate it with the one off brand halo cars.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread