The SHAME of the Ford GT

jwfisher

Banned
You have hopefully been doing your reading on all the Ford GT issues... many have wound up in the press over the past several months. There are currently as many as 8 fixes being performed under service by Ford dealers on every Ford GT built before February... the production line was shut down for several weeks while some more-recently major fixes were designed and incorporated into production. IMHO, all of them are fundamentally due to poor engineering and rushed or partial testing on SVE's part.

Some are minor, such as a seat belt that chaffs (but is still required to be fixed because of legal ramifications). Some are irritants such as a module that eventually drains the battery (same issue my '03 Cobra had, and the same part). Apparently the design folks for these two simple parts are all new to their job...?

And then there are the major issues. Showstoppers. Dangerous?

1) Ford issued a rare "do not drive" to all current owners of the Ford GT (they were told not to drive their cars, and that the cars would be picked up by transporters because they could not be driven to the dealership) because the control arms could break. This actually happened on a test car - although well after production and delivery had been in progress. Ford is replacing all 8 control arms with newly designed forged arms manufactured by Roush, rather than the original arms which utilized a casting process that is commonplace elsewhere but new to Ford and it's (former) supplier Citation Corp. The control arms are shipped in a foot-locker sized box, all nicely wrapped, directly from Ford. The dealer charges back Ford $5000 for the cost of the these particular parts.

2) The fuel tank - a revolutionary new design, had to be replaced. This was a design issue, not a manufacturing issue. (note that Ford has had other recent fuel tank issues - on the new 2005 Mustang and also on the existing LS and T-Bird cars).

3) The rear main seal of the engine leaks. The replacement is absolutely absurd, no doubt borrowed directly from Chevy. Instead of fixing the problem, a speedi-sleeve is put on to stop the leak. Speedi-sleeves are typically used in 80k mile chevys to stop their notorious leaks too. What a great image.

The total chargeback to Ford by a dealer averages $13,900 for the purchase and installation of these parts.

Never mind that the profit plan for this car has been dealt a severe blow... leading to ramifications for all future programs similar to this one.

The big question is: what the heck went wrong here? This is a car that SVE originally bragged about: that it revolutionized Ford design and manufacturing, that it was the "pace car for the company", and that it would be out in a super-short 24 months. Instead, it took more than 3 years, now it's been recalled multiple times, and the "pace car for the company" marketing idea has been dropped (before somebody notices that it truly is the pace car for the company - or at least SVE). And, the big shake-up at SVE recently may well indeed be a direct result of this very expensive screw-up - as well as a continuing history of prior SVE recalls (which all 4 of my own Cobras have suffered from).

The next question is - how long can Ford tolerate this kind of expense? Granted, it's a small drop in the bucket given the other even larger recalls - such as 900,000+++ trucks because of a cruise control design flaw. And a certain amount of dirty laundry can be tolerated because of the halo effect SVT has on the rest of the product line-up. But the profit plan for the Ford GT is probably in tatters, not counting re-use of it's technology in possible future variants (GR-1?). The only reason a product exists in the first place is because it had a profit plan.

Corporate management is all about the bottom line, if it can't be exactly measured and managed then it's a candidate for a major change. One change, I suspect, is the recent shake-up at SVE... the former leader has (been?) retired, the SVT spin meister suddenly left (the same guy who told us that binary-value temp and pressure gauges were all that were needed), a large reorganization has taken place. Most of the people who led certain troublesome aspects of former SVE programs have rotated out.

Big concerns for those of us who may or may not remain SVT customers. Are there still ramifications to the upcoming SVE programs - the Shelby and the Sport Trac Adrenalin (which uses an updated but slightly dumbed down Cobra engine)? Will the products be delivered with fewer major issues; will they suffer fewer major issues after a year of use?

Certainly the fact that SVE is now supposedly more fully integrated to programs in their earlier stages (rather than band-aiding the car later) is a good change. The implication there is that testing of SVE specifics will be more integrated into the overall engineering and testing plan, instead of only being subjected to a small testing program later that skips some of the more rigid quality and endurance testing on the apparent assumption that a certain degree of systems testing assurance has been inherited from the base car. There are also checks and balances in the later phases of production that ensure that what was engineered is indeed what is being built and delivered - a step that SVE has notoriously missed several times (including the '99 Cobra intake/exhaust and the '03 4V head debacles) in the past.

So will we see better SVT (and SVT-delivered) products in the future? Only time will tell for sure... but I am still concerned. All I see in the recent announcements is a rolling billboard of ego-supporting torque and stripes. I don't see anything about real engineering. SVT has a way of promoting a certain image of a product, far beyond what it can actually deliver. "Gee look at the stripes, cubes, and stick axle" is becoming the marketing by-words and the image for the car. Engineering is no longer the focus, as it used to be at SVE.

It's a fact of life that issues, bugs, transgressions, and missed engineering only become apparent after real owners have put real miles on them - the hype of initial show car announcements and magazine tests doesn't mean a thing in the real world usage or as a real world measurement of engineering capability and prowess. All of these types of issues are a fact of SVT ownership - be it Ford GT or Cobra. The group that was supposed to "get it right" inside Ford hasn't delivered the kind of engineering quality that Ford desperately needs.

Will there ever be a change for the better? Will SVE ever get it *truly* right?

Last edited:

ZincDude

Blah
Established Member
Is this available in paperback? :D Yeah I guess when you pay that kind of money recalls are not cool.:shrug:

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
Bored, aren't we?

I say blame Saleen as it had a hand in the design and building of the GT.

And SVE has been gone for years, its now SVT.. :bash:

johnny-longtors

Haikeeba!
Established Member
jwfisher said:
Never mind that the profit plan for this car has been dealt a severe blow... leading to ramifications for all future programs similar to this one.
Dealers are raping buyers for $100k over MSRP, so I don't feel for Ford at all.

As always, good data JWF. It's a great car, but obviously the "time from design to market" boasting is showing it's shortcomings.

I haven't "seen" you since the days of the SVT list run by Mike Carter @ Boulder U. Glad to see you're still deep in the car stuff! I'm gonna surf your site heavily - I bet you've gotten some good stuff collected in the last 10 years!

Don

RUgoinup?

We will NEVER forget!
Established Member
Hey at least they look cool as crap!

Seriously, you brought up some good points. I'm sure they'll do the best they can to rectify/reduce/eliminate as many issues as possible. They (Ford) are the one's that fit the bill (usually) when things malfunction, so it would silly of them not to do the best they can to avoid these types of issues.

I knew going in that Terminators had many issues, but I got one anyway (no issues for me one year and counting). Bottom line...if I like it, I'm buying it.

jimwood

Established Member
Sorry man, I have had two cobras. I road race mine, but also take care of it. No problems whatsoever. Don't assume your experience is everyones experience. Plus Im guessing you dont own a GT, so whats your point?

jwfisher

Banned
johnny-longtors said:
Dealers are raping buyers for $100k over MSRP, so I don't feel for Ford at all.

As always, good data JWF. It's a great car, but obviously the "time from design to market" boasting is showing it's shortcomings.

I haven't "seen" you since the days of the SVT list run by Mike Carter @ Boulder U. Glad to see you're still deep in the car stuff! I'm gonna surf your site heavily - I bet you've gotten some good stuff collected in the last 10 years!

Don

Thanks, Don, I appreciate it. Yes, it's been a long time since the Mike Carter days... and I don't think anybody is left but you and I. Older and just as wise.

So a Bullitt with an IRS and T-56? That sounds great!

I should probably clarify my original post thatthe Ford GT is a great car... it's a miracle that Ford was able to pull this off and it shows what the company is capable of designing (production is a very different story). These cracks in the facade are just not acceptable... absolutely not for a car that ends up costing almost a quarter mil. And even more unacceptable (because of the far greater volume of buyers) for a mere Mustang that costs 30-40k.

I've got family history with Ford that goes back over 100 years... I feel for them - but only to a certain degree. I'm questioning their engineering, after several unacceptable experiences. And I'm starting to question the entire leadership of "Team Mustang" and some of the basic assumptions they made there.

Last edited:

DBK

Re-retired
Established Member
Yes, the shame of the scourge that is the Ford GT. :rolleyes:

Recalls invariably happen when the concept-to-production process takes 5 years. They happen without fail when that same process takes less than half the time.

You said it youself, these are mostly minor issues. People are still willing to pay well over MSRP to get it, and Ford has done the utmost to accomodate those who already have their cars (which is an absurdly small number at this point anyways).

At this point, I've relayed this story about 432 times, but here's a snippet about something that happened at Don Massey Rolls Royce, less than two miles from my old house:

The Evening Standard (London, England); 5/11/2001; Williams, David
Byline: DAVID WILLIAMS
THE latest versions of three Rolls-Royce models are being recalled after a Corniche exploded.
A mechanic and a passerby were injured and the interior of the [pound]250,000 convertible was wrecked.
The car had just been filled with petrol for the first time at an American dealership when the mechanic pressed an electric window switch, triggering the blast which temporarily deafened him.
The passerby was injured by flying glass. The company has flown the car back to its headquarters in Crewe for investigation.

That's 250,000 pounds. As in roughly 400,000 dollars by a generous exchange rate. Exploded. From rolling up the window. Where's the constant bitching and moaning about Rolls Royces being shamefully underengineered or rushed?

The fact is you can do this with any car. Catastrophic M3 engine failures. Thousands and thousands of C5s who's owners were told no to drive the car due to potential column lock. Viper SRT-10's that have to have the heads taken off before they've barely been driven(at a dealer no less). C6's with crank pulley failures resulting in motors spewing oil and seizing in under 2000 miles. Unstable Ferrari 360 Modenas with ABS systems that fail with no warning. Porsche Cayennes at risk of fire due to improper wiring. Mercedes SL-classes with bad brake sensors...etc. If you want a recall, problem free car, at this point, build your own.

This is not an SVT problem. This is a "welcome to the real world" problem. To call it an unacceptable crack in the facade is laughable.

You can regress and say you don't mean anything bad because the GT is a great car, but go ahead and think of that before you title the thread "the SHAME of the Ford GT".

50 BMG

Socialpath media
Established Member
"The SHAME of the Ford GT"

Lmfao, the only thing thats a shame is the per unit profit Ford is making on these cars. BTW, the only people bitching...are those who DON'T own them.

I just talked to a GT owner tonight, right next to the car that was (GASP) driven to the car show.
Me: "Do you get a lot of recall flak from people?"
Him: "Yes."
Me: "What do you say to them?"
Him: "I bascially laugh at them out loud and tell them until they get one, call someone who gives a shit because I don't."

Needless to say, that got me laughing. Then I read this thread.

DBK

Re-retired
Established Member
I'll throw these recently discovered quotes from Viperclub.org in here for fun. The pride of the PVO, the SRT-10, is a shame! SHAME!!!! (even after more than a decade of evolutionary developement!)

They are telling me that there have been differential failures left and right. If this has happened to you please speak up and post. If there is enough chatter on this site maybe we can get DC to address the issue sooner rather than later. I have a feeling that there will be a lot of 2003 SRT's with their rear ends locking up now that the cars are old enough to have a few miles on them. I have seen two threads were there was a significant event involving the rearend locking up that caused the driver to lose control of the car. One of the indivuduals was hurt I believe and currently is seeking litigation against DC.

And

Yep, I'm on my second diff, 4th set of ring and pinion gears and second hydrolock. The hydrolock "locked up" at 70 mph on the freeway while cruising in 6th gear. Lucky no other cars were next to me.

These problems were all Pre-Paxton, so mostly a stock car with headers. No hard launches or power shifts, just some spirited driving. Yes, there is definitely a problem with these diffs. The hydrolock diff does not belong in a Viper, they belong in a Jeep.
Good luck,

Dan

The car is touted as being race ready, it isn't

And

Hey everyone:

There is definitely a problem w/ diff/axle(spider gears). DC must know about this problem. I myself posted a thread last wk. I almost got killed. The car got totalled. I was in rush hr traffic.
I talked to Devin at Unitrax and he confirmed that there is definitely a weak link and he has had to fix few of these and has told DANA about the problem but to no avail thus far.
When I told him about my accident, he is pretty sure the axle just grenaded. I'm going to have my car shipped to him to so he can autopsy it.
Viper X and I are very lucky. The experience was very terrifying. Sooner or later something bad is doing to happen to someone if nothing is done about this problem.

Nice.

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
Well put DBK.

JWFisher is a tool who posted in about 4-5 different threads in the 2007 Shelby GT500 forum (this one originated in there), each one bringing up the same stupid complaints about the "band aid" for oil leakage as well as some other petty arguments such as 03 Cobras having cooling issues so bad they aren't even driveable under normal daily driving condtions (no problems on mine in over 2 years :shrug: ).

He has been complaining about the 07 Cobra which isn't even out, which translates to being as usueless as complaining about a Ford GT he will NEVER OWN...
:loser:

4.6speed

Established Member
All cars have problems, especially high performance ones. The biggest problem is when everyone gets all uptight about it. Yes it does suck that you spend a ton of money on a performance car and you have to deal with problems and recalls, but such is life. I was a little upset when my brand new Cobra would stall at random, potentially risking my life, but I lived through it and Ford made it all better.

427' Cobra

Honda Sucks
Established Member
how about this is a new car that just came out and there is always problems with cars that just come out how about with the 03 cobra when it came out it had a problem with the heads but i don't hear u saying anything about that it's a new car there will be bugs

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
I think the author needs to suck it up and go get a KIA or some other little econobox which JD Power ranks highest in initial quality... :bash:

Simple cars with smaller engines and less moving parts = less problems :poke:

jwfisher

Banned
The DBK said:
You can regress and say you don't mean anything bad because the GT is a great car, but go ahead and think of that before you title the thread "the SHAME of the Ford GT".

I stand with "SHAME". How typical of SVT to product something that has a lot of hype in the press and promise to the enthusiast, and then fails once it's rolling down the street.

$13,900 per car (Ford costs) is absurdly shameful. SHAME on SVE, SVT, and Ford as a whole.

jwfisher

Banned
03 DSG Snake said:
JWFisher is a tool who posted in about 4-5 different threads in the 2007 Shelby GT500 forum

I know you don't have much use for english down at the lube rack, but you'll never get anywhere in this world without a few grammar lessons!
Signed, The Tool

crispy23c

SVT Chupacabra
Established Member
Yes. Shame on Ford for building a $139k car that can rape cars costing two to four times as much. Bastards.
JWF, I can understand your engineering mentality, but all you do is rag on Ford. Do we work for the bowtie? :xpl:
Do you work at all?

Users who are viewing this thread