The SHAME of the Ford GT

CY98Cobra

Established Member
At least Ford is addressing the problems, unlike DC with the vipers. That alone is what makes the recalls an inconvience instead of a problem. I would much rather see them admit there is a problem and fix it right away (even picking the car up) then deny there is anything wrong and have people hurt. DC's viper problems are worth complaining about. They aren't fixing the problems and people are wrecking cars and putting themselves and others at risk.

DBK

Re-retired
Established Member
jwfisher said:
I stand with "SHAME". How typical of SVT to product something that has a lot of hype in the press and promise to the enthusiast, and then fails once it's rolling down the street.

$13,900 per car (Ford costs) is absurdly shameful. SHAME on SVE, SVT, and Ford as a whole.

Yeah, so typical. If there's one thing the GT does, it's underpromise and overdeliver. Every key performance metric the program set against performance benchmarks from Ferrari and Porsche were utterly obliterated. Obliterated. A few new control arms and seatbelt visual inspections for a limited number of people are a drop in the bucket for what they get in return. Everyone who actually owns or has driven the car understands this.

$139,000 is absurdly shameful. The car should have been priced 40-50k more. Without a doubt. To think they somewhere along the line someone agreed to price a mid-engined supercar with performance and refinement comparable to that of cars 3 times the price is ridiculous. It's a shame the dealers are reaping these profits where Ford could have easily picked up an extra 20k per car.

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
jwfisher said:
I know you don't have much use for english down at the lube rack, but you'll never get anywhere in this world without a few grammar lessons!
Signed, The Tool

So your only defense in this entire thread is to bitch about someone's grammar?

I apologize for not properly formulating my responses to your liking, sir. I don't give two shits about how well I type in a forum full of car nuts. What AM I thinking? :loser:

And no, I don't work at the lube rack, but nice try. :bash:

Do all of us a favor and go buy a Honda so we don't have to listen to your dribble... :cuss:

GBD

Ford GT

Has anyone heard or have any info about oil leaks occurring in the front of the GT.I took pocession of mine 14 days ago but have not been able to drive it not only because the wheather here in Pa.is still winter like but just a week ago I was idling the car in the garage and discovered an oil leak in the front. I have been reading all of the posts concerning the GT but have not read anything about this kind of problem and to say the least is frieghtening.This car has not had the control arms changed yet and I do not even know when that might occur but hopefully soon.

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
And all of this coming from a person whose website features a shrine to the Honda S2000, "the best sports car in the world" as he lovingly refers to it.

Pwned.jpg

CY98Cobra

Established Member
:lol::lol::lol:That is the funniest pic ever. That's better than the camaro guy calling summit. Sucks to be Nelson:lol::lol::lol:

Vic

Established Member
I used to think Fords were crap, until recently, when I started buying them again. Since coming back to Ford, I found my 2001 F150 to be extremely reliable, (130,000+miles, oil tight!), almost no problems, even after a lot of hard useage. My F350 is fantastic, my salesman's Taurus has been great, my son's 99 Cobra has 70,000 miles and had only one problem, fixed under warranty. Our other F150 is doing great. I don't know what happend to Ford from the time I left 'em in 1989 and 1999 when I took another chance at buying a Ford product, but whatever it was, it is to be applauded. I can't speak for anyone else, but share my personal experience. I would definitely buy another Ford, and consider myself a fan. I love the new Mustang, GR1, and of course the GT. Ford is ok by me.

My Viper has been good, but there have been some problems with others. Most problems have been adressed by DC, but the SRT axle isn't right yet. They changed a pin in the diff, but still failures have been reported. The Viper gets a little more attention than say, their mini-vans, which I wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole. My wife's new Lexus has had two times when it wouldn't start in 70 degree weather, and her old 96 Caddy was a total POS. So all told, you can't expect perfection from any mass produced car, they all have problems. Some are better than others, but all told, I am satisfied with Ford, and applaud the fact that they are All-American. Not dissing foreign cars, but I like to support the home team. Go Ford!

Last edited:

b_tone

East bound and down!!!!
Established Member
GBD said:
Has anyone heard or have any info about oil leaks occurring in the front of the GT.I took pocession of mine 14 days ago but have not been able to drive it not only because the wheather here in Pa.is still winter like but just a week ago I was idling the car in the garage and discovered an oil leak in the front. I have been reading all of the posts concerning the GT but have not read anything about this kind of problem and to say the least is frieghtening.This car has not had the control arms changed yet and I do not even know when that might occur but hopefully soon.

Please email me off list or PM me.

Thanks

BPT

Chris!

Former Ford Dealer
Established Member
$13900.

$13900.

Thats what less than 10% of MSRP, $149,000?

Lets make a comparison on another recently problematic ford.

2003 6.0L Superduty. We'll say roughly $32k for a an XLT supercab. When the original batch came out (injectors and transmission failures, cost us dealers to charge back for roughly $3200). Thats 10%. Thats on a truck that had been out since 1999 and they just changed the motor.

Honestly 10% is not all that bad. Especially on a car that took them what roughly 30 months to get from concept to production form?

There HAD to be some glitch somewhere. And for anyone that could afford them, its not like the car was thier daily driver! I am sure they had no problem losing it for a few weeks during the winter. Ford basically "BLEW" these people and then fixed thier cars.

SHAME on you as a Ford owner and has a centennial Ford Family member. My family has been a franchised for Dealer for ALMOST 70 years, and that hurts. "Shame on the Ford GT", that comment makes me want to jump through this screen.

Last edited:

SGL

Banned
Jwfischer

A good look at his web site explains many things.... no need to argue with him. It's a waste of time.

Bottom line, if he has a problem with Ford, he should address it directly to the customer relations department instead of constantly spewing this crap on the Web. Better yet, he can send his resume and apply for an engineering position. Then he can redesign whatever doesn't suit him. This way he can learn to deal with the maze that Ford is.

I have to go now, my S2000 is waiting for my oversized ego. See you later!....... :xpl:

Last edited by a moderator:

Formula51

Established Member
Honestly guys, he is pretty much right about the S2000 according to his definition. The Miata is also considered by many to be the best true sports car along that same definition.

Yall should be easy with the "tool" comments and such, it is my guess that jwfisher would completely embarrass you where it counts, on the race track!!!!!

fordification

Established Member
jwfisher said:
You have hopefully been doing your reading on all the Ford GT issues... many have wound .....

What the hell?!! You must have some kind of chip on your shoulder!! Answer me this, why should a car company that builds minivans be exempted from mistakes on building their very first supercar, and a specialty car company like Ferrari that builds nothing but performance vehicles can make mistakes?

Sorry if this has been covered. I didn't read all the posts.

jwfisher

Banned
Chip? No, just higher expectations from *all* manufacturers.
And I'm not some wanna-be poseur, I have had 4 SVT products and 8 other late model Mustangs before that - all the major FOX and FOX4 variants. Along with a boatload of other Fords as well as certain other cars. And I routinely drive a heckuva lot of other cars on the track - a very difficult test of them.
So I have a lot of higher expectations than Ford is delivering. The question is: why settle for less? Why not expect better from one of the larger companies in the country? Why not expect them to leverage their worldwide experience to design a better car and build it well? How many years of patience with issues is acceptable?
This type of thing is going on all over Ford. And not necessarily just from track usage, but especially in daily usage. Lets look at something technologically simple: have you seen how many axles in 5.4 liter F-150s have had to be replaced because of differential issues? Both of my dealers have been replacing them in quantity, along with differentials of Expeditions. Just for how many years have differentials been built, and they are still not right?

Sure, nobody likes hearing that their favorite car has issues... it's tough news. But blinding ones self to them is just plain delusional. And denying them once you've saved to buy one and started actually driving the car is just cheating yourself.

Kovachian

Me vs. Earth
Established Member
It's not like someone needs to point out that no car is 110% perfect. This thread is worthless. Hell I would expect an S2000 to get better gas mileage than a Corvette. But it does not. Does NOT. Exactly how does a big ol' American V8 get more highway mpg than a "technologically superior (LoL!!!) 4 banger??? Yea way to go Honda.

Last edited:

I-CAN-STANG

cut em' off at the knees
Established Member
03 DSG Snake said:
And all of this coming from a person whose website features a shrine to the Honda S2000, "the best sports car in the world" as he lovingly refers to it.

Pwned.jpg
:lol:

jwfisher

Banned
That's not the point... you didn't read anything.

The point is that you expect better engineering than to have the control arms break from under you, and to have Ford send you an emergency registered letter saying "don't drive the car". And you certainly expect better engineering than to have to have a speedi-sleeve put on the car.

Kovachian

Me vs. Earth
Established Member
Au contraire I read everything, and I fully ackowledge your point. Seeing as the US market will never be graced by a car engineered by God, may I suggest one of these?
bike_11.gif

Looks like a load of fun and there's no worries about control arms or main seals.

Whitten

Grocery Run
Established Member
Lets take a step back and look at this from a larger perspective. Ford had one goal and that was to beat the 360 Modena in every way. The GT has done that and then some.
To be quite honest for the GT to have problems it is no surprise. One of the things here that so many forget is that this a RACE CAR. It is basicly a LeMans car for the street. Granted it has alot of ammenities that a race car doesn't have but underneath it all it is still a damn race car. Problems like what is encountering are just part of a project like this, and are something taht Ford more than likely anticipated if it hadn't then it was being neive. It is the reason why projects like this are so difficult to get off the ground..think Boss 429. To be honest however it really has very few problems in comparison to it's competiotion, Ferrari. Recalls and patches are also common for the Italian Pony car. Hell for the most part the owner of a Ferrari ends up footing the bill for repairs even to things that are part of bad design or engineering (335, 360, 575). At the local Ferrari of Atlanta when I was in there last week the sales man told me if I were going to buy one, I might as well buy two, one to drive while the other was in the shop. We laughed but it was so true.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread