the shop says they can only do upper

redz03HD

Established Member
went to some shops during the week turns out only one place will add a pulley but said they can only do a upper on the HD. so i am going with a 2.70 upper , idler pulley, sparks, belt and tune. hows that sound? i am in el paso so 13psi will be good due to dry air and elevation they said. well hope all goes well and hope to hear some thoughts on it

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
That's 100% incorrect on the lower pulley. Lightning and HD owners have been adding a lower kit for 10+ years. The problem with swapping your 3.25" HD upper to a 2.70" is the fact you'll increase the chance for belt slip. A lower swap only will lessen slip chances.

Here's a great kit from Metco with 2 pulley ring options

Crank Pulley Kit - 2 Pulley Rings, 1999-2004 Ford Lightning: Metco Motorsports

redz03HD

Established Member
Damn

well they ordered a blower pully with hub(2.76), plugs, mettco MP bridge with pully, tuned and dyno TBD. also will replace belt. they wouldnt do the lower.

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
well they ordered a blower pully with hub(2.76), plugs, mettco MP bridge with pully, tuned and dyno TBD. also will replace belt. they wouldnt do the lower.

That's crazy. You could have done the lower and everything else in your driveway and driven the truck conservatively over to the tuner for the final tune and dyno run. Would have saved you a ton of money and the metco lower hub and ring install is VERY easy with hand tools you probably already have.

redz03HD

Established Member
well thanks i guess if i dont like the way it drives i will go with the lower and sell the pully and hub. is belt slip the biggest issue? the pully they added by the supercharger is suppose to stop that from happening. also if i change it and go with the lower is there something i have to buy just in case? thanks for the help

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
sounds like they only sell uppers so they can sell more parts...ie nonslip pulleys that shorten belt life and idler bridges instead of just a new lower pulley kit and maybe one lone auxiliary idler by the blower

your setup will be fine just $$$

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
well thanks i guess if i dont like the way it drives i will go with the lower and sell the pully and hub. is belt slip the biggest issue? the pully they added by the supercharger is suppose to stop that from happening. also if i change it and go with the lower is there something i have to buy just in case? thanks for the help

Yes, slip is the issue and also when you do the upper, you lose the stealthiness of the pulley mod because people will obviously see that upper if you pop the hood. The pulley they're adding and charging you extra for is called a "snub" idler and it's there to pinch that belt and prevent slip that the smaller upper creates. That's why the lower only change is cool because that snub idler expense and appearance is not needed at all.

There is also a theory swapping the lower instead of upper creates a bit more torque reading on the dyno than an upper swap lb for lb of boost. I'm not sure if I buy into that, but you'll probably hear that if you research this some more.

redz03HD

Established Member
what he ordered:
Auxiliary Idler Kit 100mm,
BilletFlow Non-Slip Pulley System (Hub and 1 Pulley
belt
spark plugs
i have programmer, cai, and exhaust

kind of pissed now since i more then likly got screwed over. just hope it last now

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
whos doing the tune? Lots of shops can make dyno numbers, not that many make a Lightning ET

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
what he ordered:
Auxiliary Idler Kit 100mm,
BilletFlow Non-Slip Pulley System (Hub and 1 Pulley
belt
spark plugs
i have programmer, cai, and exhaust

kind of pissed now since i more then likly got screwed over. just hope it last now

I'd have to contemplate telling them to "f-off" since it seems they weren't totally up front with your options. I'd even consider paying a restocking fee just to make a point.

You could order the parts you want, install them yourself and get it tuned remotely. Of course, you would need a wideband and a laptop to datalog with the remote tuner..but trust me, that wideband and datalogging is an awesome thing to have regardless.

redz03HD

Established Member
i have the diablo tuner it already has the program for the pulley with 91 octane just haveto make some parameter changes, he does lightning and mustangs and the lightning all had uppers for pulley

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
i have the diablo tuner it already has the program for the pulley with 91 octane just haveto make some parameter changes, he does lightning and mustangs and the lightning all had uppers for pulley

I don't know much about that. Regardless of what you use to facilitate the tune....that handheld or a custom tune from a shop or remote tuner.... You have to have wideband a/f data and the computer PIDs logged to really ensure you have a safe tune. Otherwise, you're playing Russian roulette with a 10k motor

Hopefully that's what that shop was going to do for monitoring

Here's a datalog example I did for my bro in laws 03 HD with the 10lb lower and on the E85

IMG_1257.JPG

redz03HD

Established Member
i gave them 400 to buy the stuff so i am pretty sure it cant be returned. i will try. man this is BS.

redz03HD

Established Member
yeah thats what they have there. thanks for that photo so i know exactly what i should be seeing..

redz03HD

Established Member
should i be nervous on the upper? next year i plan on porting then doing the lower i guess since its better. for the upper just go with the lightning pulley

Merlinii

Worlds Shiniest HD F-150!
Established Member
Do not do the upper on a HD. Send the stuff back.
Do not let them do work on your truck.
Get your money back & run away!

Users who are viewing this thread