The Value of Magazines

SnakeBit

Mid-Life Crisis my ass!
Established Member
My 03 will hit it's 3rd anniversary this March. Normally I start to think about a new car when the warranty is about up on my current car, so out of habit, I started looking around. As good fortune would have it, I just got the Feb 2006 edition of Mustang Enthusiast. Hey look, there's a test of the 2006 Roush Stage 3. Even the name of the article tickled me, "Roush's Serious Sizzle". Since I can't afford a Ford GT, and as appealing as it sounds, the Shelby will likely have several thousand in ADM when it finally comes out, I'm in.

Stage 2 comes in with mostly appearance (white faced gauges, carbon fiber and billet aluminum), but also some handling improvements. Still, it's not much more than rice. I want power and speed, so it's exit stage 2.

Stage 3 is quickly scanned for words like "supercharger" or "turbo". Score! A supercharger. How glorious. Same ricer appearance and handling mods, but if it's got a "supercharger" and it's "serious" as the title suggests, then that stuff ain't "rice". Wait, a hood scoop. A non-functional hood scoop! Rice-o-rama! Then I see that the scoop is "optional". :rockon:

So how fast is it? Oh, a "Kicker 500 watt stereo" which can be upgraded (for a nominal charge) to a 1 THOUSAND watt stereo. Great, but how fast is it?

They changed several thousand lines of code in the "engine calibration" and "perfect it to be a daily driver". As Richard Belzer might say, "Yeah right, babe. But HOW FRIGGIN' FAST IS IT you thick necked moron!"

OK, I find it. 13.52 at 104.68 in the quarter. Wha? $50K? WTF? Is it me, or does that seem slow, especially for that much change. Has inflation upped the price of this level of performance that much? Maybe it's the onse of "Ole' Timer's Disease", but I thought the 03/04 Cobra were rated faster than that? (flyn high again claimed a 12.90s bone stock http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=179140, but then again he's not an "ace" :-D ) Not only that, but it wasn't some fumble-nut geek driving the car. It wasn't even some thick-necked fumble-nut automotive-moron driving. It was "manual transmission ace Jimmy Johnson". Now I'm totally underwhelmed. I would think that any run of the mill "manual transmission ace" ought to be able to pilot a $24K GT to a 13.52. I expected more from a "serious" "supercharger" with "engine calibration" where they "changed several thousand lines of code" to "perfect it to be a daily driver". But that's just me.

Still, back to the thread topic. Since reading that article, and seeing how little $50K buys these days, I've been cured of any thought for another car at least until the Shelby comes out. That is the real Value of the Magazine. Thanks Mustang Enthusiast. I'm not too optomistic about it being a cure for Ford GT Fever though. If I ever hit the lottery... it will be any color but red.

"We can rebuild it.
We can make it better, faster.
We have the technology."

PonyFever

'03 DSG vert 3816 of 5082
Established Member
LOL, I'm with you on all the above. I read that article and figured when I spend $50k on the Cobra, it darned sure better go a tad faster than that, body kit aside. Keep reading & keep modding.

SlowSVT

Established Member
To me a Roush and Saleen is nothing more then an "image" car meant to appeal to the rich kid who doesn't know any better. When they add the supercharger I think it's nothing more then a "bolt-on' affair onto a stock block and will not make the power of a purpose built engine. They add all that flashy (tacky) looking body work and don't even include the neons, wudda up wit dat?

Why would you want to sell your Cobra just because the warranty runs out?

Last edited:

Cobraing

Trumpet of Torque
Established Member
The blocks on Roush's and Saleens still retain their stock internals. They buy the cars from Ford and add all there gear to it (Suspension, looks, light performance), then resell it at Ford dealers. This means the stuff we pull (pulley changes to turn up the boost, blower swaps, etc) is only going to lead to big trouble on those engines.

IMO, my Cobra attracts enough attention with the snake on the side of the car. I don't need a fancy body kit, racing stripes, Roush/Saleen labels all over the car, and a supercharger that's only safe to run at 8psi. Then all that flash and a stock 03/04 Cobra will drop it like a fly? Plus the cost? No thank you Jack Roush and Steve Saleen.

Although some of the stuff (like those Saleen side scoops on the 99-04 body style) are sex. I wouldn't mind jazzing up the Cobra a little to look like those movie Mustangs (Just a little bit, nothing crazy).

Last edited:

SnakeBit

Mid-Life Crisis my ass!
Established Member
SlowSVT said:
Why would you want to sell your Cobra just because the warranty runs out?
It's a sickness. I'm in therapy to cure it. Might be cheaper to buy a new car though. :-D

Actually, I will begin some crazy modding next year, starting with a S/C porting and a good tune. Bet I can go better than 13.52 after that. :beer:

caveman6666

V8 Ford, V Twin Hogs.
Established Member
SlowSVT said:
To me a Roush and Saleen is nothing more then an "image" car meant to appeal to the rich kid who doesn't know any better. When they add the supercharger I think it's nothing more then a "bolt-on' affair onto a stock block and will not make the power of a purpose built engine. They add all that flashy (tacky) looking body work

Yep. You're paying for the name.
They probably limit the boost to 6psi or something because of the stock internals, hence the mediocre performance.

I8URZ28

gas mileage is overrated!
Established Member
I am coming up on my 3 year anniversary also in about 6 to 8 months car only has 18K miles on it so I know I could sell it-- I am in the same boat with you normally, when my car gets 3 yrs old I like to start shopping --

BUT with the cobra I think I am going to hang onto it until the doors fall off though--I am not a fan of paying high $$ for a saleen or roush for pretty much the same, if not less performance that I can get with the cobra I mean I like the way the cobra looks even though it does not sport the "new-fangled" 05 look I still love it and I know I would kick myself for parting with it--so just be sure-- but hey to each is own so good luck if you go for something else :beer:

WraithCobra

Don't want a GT500
Established Member
Someone can't drive, a stock GT can run a 13.5. I think there was a mistake in the magazine and that time was for a Stage 2. The Roush Stage 3 is pushing well over 400 horses and it will easily out handle the GT500. I'd rather have a Stage 3 over the GT500 fiasco any day. Straight line speed isn't the only thing I'm interested in.
Also, the Roush body work is a sleeper compared to a factory SVT Mustang, the Saleen has "Look at ME!" written all over it.
I was looking at a Stage 3 in '03 but the Cobra offered more power and similar handling, with an IRS, for $12K less. I also like to trade up at the end of the warranty and my next car will NOT be the GT500. I'm going to look back into a Stage 3 or, if I can get the $$ in place, buy a no-op V6 and build my own version of the Cobra that SVT should have built; 4.6L aluminum block, forged internals, twin screw, 6 speed, IRS, ect... If I can find the $$ that is...

SVT4ME

Established Member
Bottom line is $50K for that kinda speed is insane. But you do have to give it the unquie aspect but is it worth that kinda of duckets, not to me

swlacobra

too many cars
Established Member
no way, i too looked at the 05's and saleens. i think my 04 has a much better look and more performance. i want to see the gt 500, but i won't pay over sticker no matter how much i want one. they will be avalible at or below sticker 5-6 months after they come out. i remember looking at a black 03 shortly after they came out with a $7000 added dealer markup. the salesman told me no one would ever sell one at sticker. lol

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
If you are looking at the stage 2 roush, I would suggesting you look at a Foose. Basically the same package, looks and handling, but at a better bargain.

I8URZ28

gas mileage is overrated!
Established Member
I heard a rumor that the GT500 will be 50K-60k don't know how true that is though I honestly think the dude that told me was full of sh :rolling: :rolling:

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
Nah, it will come in at about 40K-42K + a dealer mark up on the first run.

NHRACobra

Cobra guy
Established Member
From a very reliable source, Ford wants to keep them under $40k, like $39,989 ;-)

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
I would say yes on the $39.989, but that is base. I am sure that you will have a few options that will put it over that, like stripes, etc.

SVT04

Established Member
HISSMAN said:
I would say yes on the $39.989, but that is base. I am sure that you will have a few options that will put it over that, like stripes, etc.

Or options like a steering wheel or even tires for it to roll on .... :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread