The wheel spacers are done!!!

Undy

Established Member
I just picked up the wheel spacers from the machine shop. One word sums them up p-e-r-f-e-c-t! They are truly hub concentric with zero play, in fact in the wheel they have 0.001" interference fit. They are "locked in" when the lug nuts are tightened and essentially become part of the wheel. I've already test run one on the car. They're totally hand made out of billet aluminum and the quality/workmanship is superb. The machinist has done a series of AutoCAD drawings of them and is keeping them on file. These have been custom made for the AFS/stock wheels as they're made to fit exactly in the tapered hub area of the wheel. I cannot guarantee the fit for other mfr's wheels... sorry. I couldn't be more pleased with them. I've got quite a few pics I'll post.

Price.... they won't be as cheap as I hoped. They're very labor intensive as they're fabricated on a lathe totally by hand. My cost is exactly $75.00. I need to make $10.00 a set to cover my time and effort. I hope people don't think it unreasonable... Packaging and shipping will be $5.00. That brings the total, shipped to your door, to $90.00. Turn around may take a week or two...maybe more as these spacers are not the only thing the shop's got going on. I'll ship them as they're completed. If you're one of the impatient types or you've got to have them right now then these aren't for you. If I start beating up on the shop to get them out they'll tell me to pack sand and nobody will get any.

The width of these (mine) are 7/32", just enough to clear everything but not too much where they stick out and look ricey. With these you can use the same wheel studs but I recommend using AFS' extended reach lug nuts. I imagine you can buy them elsewhere too.

Payment... I've changed my email address so I'll have to see what Paypal sez I've got to do to update. I can't remember if there's a transaction fee on my end for Paypal. If there is that would have to be added into the cost. You can email me at [email protected] for exact payment info and address.

One last thing... I must get the boards permission for this. Until I get the big OK I can't take any orders..

Questions??? Fire away...
:beer:

Undy

Established Member
You can see how they fit the hub area of the car... z-e-r-o movement. I'd recommend hand wire brushing the hub and the rotor to get any rust/debris off for a perfect fit..

Last edited:

Undy

Established Member
You can see how the male taper of the spacer fits perfectly into the female taper of the wheel. If you're using another mfr's wheel this is where you must make sure their taper is the same as the factory wheels' taper. You can see the straight shoulder on the spacer. It fits up into the wheel's bore very tight to further support everything.

Last edited:

Undy

Established Member
The "undy bolt mod" ... Why spend needless bucks buying bolts?
Just grind the head down in place where you've just enough to get a 6 point socket on it. Leave about 5/32" of the head. It clears fine now!!!

Last edited:

Undy

Established Member
This is the wheel/tire when it's totally droped and suspended. I've got it jacked up by the rear chassis. This is the only time when the tire's sidewall could come into contact with the bolt head. This could happen anytime you go air born.. railroad tracks, speed bumps or a hill crest ( for you trackees ). With my setup there's zero clearance, no more, no less. If you're airborn then there's no axial tire loading (sidewall deflection) This eliminates any need for a "comfort zone" of clearance.

robb

Undy,Looks like a nice job.Could the shop tighten up the tolerances around the lugs? My only other concern is that Mustang wheels are lugcentric--taper seat lug nuts are an indication of this. If the AFS wheels(I have the 10.5"s too) are truely hub as well as lugcentric,we are OK. Keep me posted and on your list. Rob

Undy

Established Member
This is the clearance at normal ride height. This time you need a little "comfort zone" and you've got it.. about 1/4". That's all you need.. (measured from the closet point to the tire, the upper control arm rear support bracket)

Undy

Established Member
Originally posted by robm
Undy,Looks like a nice job.Could the shop tighten up the tolerances around the lugs? My only other concern is that Mustang wheels are lugcentric--taper seat lug nuts are an indication of this. If the AFS wheels(I have the 10.5"s too) are truely hub as well as lugcentric,we are OK. Keep me posted and on your list. Rob

robm,

The holes in the spacers are the same size as the holes in the wheels. The spacers are such a tight fit on the hub and in the wheel that I see no advantage in a smaller/tighter spacer hole.. In spite of this I'd imagine they could bore them smaller. I could at least ask. I don't want to get into too many variations of these. I don't really want to complicate things much more.. If enough people requested them then I don't see a problem, pending the shop's approval..

Hunter

Crazy Insane SVT Poster!
Established Member
Undy, looks great! Put me on the list! I'll take a set!

robb

Undy, Put me on the list too--I will take a set with or without tightening up the lug holes. Thanks,Rob

Hunter

Crazy Insane SVT Poster!
Established Member
Originally posted by 94SVT Coupe
Those do look good. You might want to put a very light coat of anti-sieze between the spacer and the rotor hat.
That's a good idea.

shey love

Established Member
Undy, those look awesome. I am definitely interested in a set. I have some after market wheels though. I don't know yet if it is a tapered wheel or not. I don't believe they are. I will have to try and mic them. Hopefully they are the same.

vbaz13

Proud Member of
Established Member
This might be a dume question, but what does the wheel spacer do? Why do you want them?

94SVT Coupe

Ford Fanatic
Established Member
So you can run BFG KD 315's or any other wide 315 tire. Some 315's aren't are wide as others. Noticed he said 12.6" section width. You can go compare that with other 315 tire section widths.

Users who are viewing this thread