the winter build: 408/T56 swap

Gallows

Make My Day... N/A
Established Member
Nice setup:beer: I'd like to do a EFI 351 stroker in a SN95 myself and yours looks like it will be a great performer.

busta

REDRCKT
Established Member
That's going to be KILLER!! How much power did the previous owner make with that motor?

tt54l32v

Established Member
when i seen them headers i knew they were going to be pita to put on and i see why they call em high ports

maniak87

All Nutz
Established Member
That's going to be KILLER!! How much power did the previous owner make with that motor?

not sure since he never had it dyno'd. he had a 331 with a single turbo before the 408 and he thinks it was faster with the 408.

Good job ,moving forward slowly but you're getting there.:beer:

yea, i took a very long break :lol: it was just too damn cold out!

Thats sick, keep us up to date on the track times and dyno numbers

will do! :beer:

95SC

Banned
yea, i took a very long break :lol: it was just too damn cold out!

Mine isn't going any quicker then yours lately anyways.If my old lady is going to find me more house projects I'll god damn never finish my car.

maniak87

All Nutz
Established Member
picked up from the shop earlier in the week. had the trans crossmember fab'd for the T56 and i also had the shop install the clutch/flywheel as well as the headers. i tryed the headers myself but i could not get the car high enough in the garage with my shitty stands and jack. i'd like to get the headers coated but after spending the money installing them il leave them be until i swap a tubular k-member in there. im suprised they were able to fit with the stock k-member.

i will take some pics of the update soon. had to relocate the car to my buddies garage 25mi away.

all thats left to do is:

plumb fuel system
shorten driveshaft w/ 31 spline yolk
powdercoat acc. brackets and install acc.
wiring for fox TB swap
re-connect all sensors/wires
make some sort of intake
install MM CC plates (sold the bbk ones that were on there)

maniak87

All Nutz
Established Member
Bad ass, how much for the 408? I was thinking about that route also.

all depends on how you go about it. i spent 5600 on the long block. it would have cost 7k to build the exact setup new. i rolled the dice and took the guys word for it that there were only 1100 miles on it. when i pulled the pan it looked pretty much new!

expect to spend at least 10k on the swap when you include the new trans and whatever odd/ends you still need.

maniak87

All Nutz
Established Member
here are some pics of the update. these headers are going to rust so bad but thats what i get for being to lazy to take em out to get them coated. guess i will just wait to do it when i go with a tubular k-member. steering shaft is rusting too they arent fully bolted in yet so thats why it looks a little off on the under car shot. didnt have the car jacked up so i dont have a good pic of the trans mount yet, looks like stock thanks to nayel at sschassis!

408build002.jpg

408build003.jpg

408build004.jpg

408build006.jpg

408build007.jpg

408build008.jpg

408build009.jpg

maniak87

All Nutz
Established Member
That looks amazing. Accufab couldn't coat them for you?

they prolly could of but they sell em uncoated. i guess they dont trust their work well enough. i was worried about fitment so i decided not to coat them before i installed them. it was such a pain to install/and i am really eager to just get it done so i am just going to leave it.

Venom351R

Established Member
Great progress how long before you fire it up?

Ive decided to get a 408 shotblock myself. I already have all the 351 components so all I need to do is swap engines. Im going to go w/ an RNH Performance 408 with 10:5 compression, AFR 205 Heads, Edelbrock Victor 5.8 Intake, Kooks Long tubes, Corsa Exhaust, Probably a FTI Custom cam, Accfuab 75 MM TB Fox set up. Im hoping to pull north of 420 at the rear wheels which should not be an issue from what the builder has said. Im hoping to have it dropped into the engine by this time next year and I'll be saving up all summer/winter for the project. The short block is $2975 - 500 for a steel crank.

maniak87

All Nutz
Established Member
Great progress how long before you fire it up?

Ive decided to get a 408 shotblock myself. I already have all the 351 components so all I need to do is swap engines. Im going to go w/ an RNH Performance 408 with 10:5 compression, AFR 205 Heads, Edelbrock Victor 5.8 Intake, Kooks Long tubes, Corsa Exhaust, Probably a FTI Custom cam, Accfuab 75 MM TB Fox set up. Im hoping to pull north of 420 at the rear wheels which should not be an issue from what the builder has said. Im hoping to have it dropped into the engine by this time next year and I'll be saving up all summer/winter for the project. The short block is $2975 - 500 for a steel crank.

sounds like a good setup! im hoping for north of 420 too. i should be able to fire it up in a couple weeks. ive never heard a corsa exhaust on a mustang.

maniak87

All Nutz
Established Member
finally got it running. ended up having a shop finish up the project. i just ran out a patience and time to fight with it myself. i still have a trans issue to sort out though, it seems that my clutch wont disengage. i will most likely have to change out my intake elbow cuz i doubt a 2.5'' cowl will clear that.

i wish i had a video camera to get some idle vids. picked the car up open headers but got the exhaust fab'd up on the way home. running a summit universal 3'' x-pipe and some borla 3'' pro xs mufflers with turndowns.

408build013.jpg

408build014.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread