The WWII Thread

HudsonFalcon

Established Member
How many WW2 vets are even left alive? I’d love to speak to a few of them about the world today and get their thoughts on what they fought for…

I thought I read there was less than 200k alive as of last year. A lot of knowledge and stories disappear every day as the numbers dwindle.

Yikes, I can only imagine what they think of the country today.

Tezz500

Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!
Established Member
I thought I read there was less than 200k alive as of last year. A lot of knowledge and stories disappear every day as the numbers dwindle.

“I landed on that ****ing beach for this??”

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member

I think this answers the question of what most would think…

ED1C542F-AD62-49F0-9EB5-8734B032814A.jpeg

BOOGIE MAN

Logic and Reason
Established Member
I have connections to the Pacific theater so my history kick tends to lean that way, it doesn't get the attention it deserves but maybe I'm biased. More people died during "The Rape of Nanking" then all immediate and residual deaths from both atomic bombs.

I posted the story about how my maternal grandfather met my grandmother after being a POW post Bataan deathmarch. Maybe I'll post it here another time. That Brahhcktin connection put me here today @BrunotheBoxer

Lambeau

Superfleck Moonbird
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
Uncle Chuck, driver of this Chev G506 Bomb Servicer with what I think is an M65 front/center. Pic may be from the North African Campaign, not sure.
He looked like Clark Gable.

Screen Shot 2023-01-17 at 4.19.56 PM.png

Chuck liked to box. He had big arms and powerful shoulders. He said when they were on ships, they'd have boxing matches to pass the time. Chuck said he was, "Pretty good at beating the hell out of other guys fists with his face".
He's also why I'm a Ford guy.

Last edited:

2003RedfireVert

Male and Female He created them.
Established Member

James Snover

The Ill-Advised Physics Amplification Co
Established Member
Premium Member
Back in the late '70's, I was in High School. I was also an apprentice brick layer. One of my instructors was an old Italian guy. The thing about him was, he had a Hell of a sense of humor, and nothing, no problem that presented itself, was ever impossible. The boss would tell him what needed to be done, and he'd figure it out, and it'd get done. I asked him one day what made him so certain he could solve any problem?

He laughed, and said when he was 17, he was in the Marines, and fought on Iwo Jima. Early on, it was tough to keep the Marines supplied with ammo, food, and everything else. One day, they're in a battle with some Japanese troops, and both sides run out of bullets. So both sides fixed bayonets and went at it.

He found himself standing in front of a Japanese soldier, who he figured couldn't be more than 15, if that! The kid got past his guard and tried to stab him in the chest, and it looked like it did. The bayonet penetrated his shirt, but it also just slid perfectly between his chest and his arm.

They were standing there, looking at each other. He was waiting to die, and was surprised he hadn't. The Japanese soldier had heard Americans were tough, and sure enough, he just stabbed this one and he's still standing there!

My old boss's Sergeant comes along, and shouts, "What the Hell are you waiting for? Finish him!"

My old boss looks at the kid, and can't bring himself to kill him. So he flips his rifle around, and smacks him in the head, knocking him right out.

"And after that, Jimmy, everything else in life has pretty much been easy!"

They exchanged info, and kept in touch after the war. The Japanese soldier became a brick layer, because that's what the man who spared his life said he was going to be. He eventually moved to the United States, to Pasadena, Texas. and lived out the rest of his life here. They were friends right up to the end.

I don't know why, but everyone called him "Taiwan Tommy." Like my old sponsor, he was a great guy, with a great sense of humor.

Those of us who grew up in that time were raised by WWII vets.

mysticsvt

southernmustangandford
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Stinkadina....was born at Bayshore Hospital and went to Dobie High, Pearl Hall Elementary and Freeman Elementary. Great Story, with a happy ending.

James Snover

Established Member
Premium Member
The Greatest Generation were another breed of man that we may not ever see again (at least in my lifetime). I wish I had the opportunity to know more of them.
I'll second that nomination, and I'll include the women of the era, also. I had two Aunts who were genuine Rosie the Riveters. One worked making spark plugs, the other worked building bombers, at Ford. "Build it like your son is going to count on it with his life!"

Those people lived through the Great Depression. No doubt that had a lot to do with their toughness, after having lived through that.

James Snover

Established Member
Premium Member
Stinkadina....was born at Bayshore Hospital and went to Dobie High, Pearl Hall Elementary and Freeman Elementary. Great Story, with a happy ending.
Stinkadena! Yep, those were the days of the paper mill! For my money, the smell from that was far worse than the refineries! I went to Rayburn, my wife went to Dobie.

Users who are viewing this thread