The WWII Thread

MG0h3

Established Member
My grandfather was a diesel and heavy equipment mechanic in a construction battalion. I was a little kid when my I asked him so I don’t recall the exact name.

When he was on his death bed he started recounting some stories to my uncle, who called me after he passed and shared.

His unit was putting in runways during the island campaign and he was taking a turn on the grader. A few guys came running up waving their arms and pulled him off.

Said he had noticed something hitting the dirt and blade in front of the grader and it turns out a Japanese plane was strafing the equipment to prevent runway construction.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

HudsonFalcon

Established Member
Interesting article about bombshell Hedy Lamarr who was not only a Hollywood Icon but also a scientist and inventor.

“Her greatest innovation came in the field of radio technology for weapons systems.“

Silverstrike

It's to big to move FAST!
Established Member
My Mother-in-law was a pilot in WW2. Of course, they didn't let the women fly combat missions. Their job was to do the things that could free up the men to fly combat, like ferry planes, tow targets for target practice etc. I got a few stories out of her before she passed. I'll type some out later when I get a chance.
WASP, Women Air Service Pilots they also trained rookie pilots through school during the war.

72MachOne99GT

Established Member
Premium Member
I’ve watched plenty of documentaries and read a handful of books, but nowhere near what some of you guys have crammed into your heads.

The one thing that sticks with me more than anything is just the massive loss of life. We lost a lot of Americans, but how those numbers stack up to (mainly) the Russians and Japanese is nuts. That’s not even thinking about the civilian loses.

Imagine how different we (as Americans) would look back at the war had there been an American mainland-theatre.

Lambeau

Superfleck Moonbird
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
Interesting article about bombshell Hedy Lamarr who was not only a Hollywood Icon but also a scientist and inventor.

“Her greatest innovation came in the field of radio technology for weapons systems.“

How can you not have a crush on the beautiful genius that was Hedy Lamarr?

1674134651817.jpeg

Cobra Jet

Established Member
Cool thread.

My Grandfather passed in 1998.

He enlisted in 1941. He was a Sergeant for the Army Engineer Corps overseas. I don’t recall his exact battalion designation, but can update at a later date once I get the info from my Father. I do know he was shot up bad and also had shrapnel wounds as well in his legs and backside. One bullet lodged into his pocket Bible that was in his front shirt pocket. Had that Bible not been there, that shot would have killed him (no BS and my Father still has it). When I was younger, I recall seeing a Purple Heart in its case over at my Grandparents home, but at the moment don’t know the story behind it.

He didn’t talk much about specifics when he was alive, but the one thing he always said when the topic came up from us Grandkids inquiring (because his wounds left very visible scarring) was that even though he was wounded, the Germans did provide medical assistance and did take very good care of him.

My Father has all the old letters and pics too. I have not seen them in many years, but just remember reading some of the letters…. Man, the current and future generations just have absolutely NO idea of what the WWII Vets went through - not that ANY War is easier fought than any before or after, but WWI and WWII gave us and those before us, the freedoms that many today just take for granted… because the result could have been much different had it not been for all those WWII Vets worldwide who sacrificed themselves in the pursuit to maintain freedom.

I don’t feel there will ever be a generation like those who fought in WWI and WWII, because that era was just an archaic time where those men rushed in at each other straight on, with no cover, firing at each other or fighting by hand/knives to the death. It was a time period with no real advancements in technology or defense as it is seen today where some war fighting is like a video game and “boots on the ground” in some instances is put to the side for drones, lasers, hyper aircraft and stealth craft.

—————————————————

If you all want a good link to research family members who may have served in many of the previous Wars, here ya go…. I don’t know how many are aware of this site and the many research links within it, but it’s a great research resource.

On the AAD main page, just plug the last name of whom you’re seeking in the main Search Text box, click search and it will return results. From there you can “view” the details under that person.

On the main AAD page, under the search box, go to the Wars section a little to the right….. tons and tons of info…

You can literally spend hours upon hours searching the AAD and the other links within the main site…
———

I too watch a ton of Historical reference shows or documentaries on WWII… I just can’t imagine or fathom even being in any of their shoes on the ground, at sea or even in the air where the fighting was as intense as seen in raw footage or pictures.

I thank ALL who are enlisted be it today or in the past - because if it weren’t for those brave souls, our freedom wouldn’t exist.

Last edited:

floodstang

Established Member
I had one Grandfather that was in the Pacific during WWll. He was a Cockswain on a Higgins Boat. I know that's a weird name but that's what they called the guys that drove the boats. He never talked too much about it, but he did say he knew Ernie Pyle, a famous WWll journalist. He brought him ashore to some island on his boat.

My other Grandfather who was not in WWll due to having Polio in his right leg, worked at the Higgins factory building the boats. He used to tell my how they would take the boats out in Lake Pontchartrain to test them and run them right up the concrete steps that lead down into the water along Lakeshore Drive. Fast forward a few years ago when my son was still in school, we went on a field trip to the WWll Museum. I was watching a video in the Higgins Boat exhibit and they showed one of the boats run right up the steps just like he said they did. And one of the men in the boat looked just like my Grandfather! The video was running on a constant loop but it was pretty long according to one of the workers and I did not have time to watch the whole thing again. I'm pretty convinced it was him, but I'll probably never know.

I find it very interesting that one of them built the boats and the other one drove them. They both are from New Orleans and never knew each other until my parents started dating in the mid-sixties. I sure wish I would have talked to them more about it!

Lambeau

Superfleck Moonbird
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia

Silverstrike

It's to big to move FAST!
Established Member
Here are some of the photos of my grandpa and great grandpa from both WW2 and WW1. My family is collecting a lot of photos and info but still, very little is known about their service and records history.View attachment 1777459View attachment 1777460View attachment 1777461View attachment 1777462View attachment 1777463View attachment 1777464View attachment 1777465View attachment 1777466View attachment 1777467
Like the P-36's and hard to believe that Curtiss. just slapped an Allison and stream lined nose on the thing and it became the P-40 probably the most important fighter we had until mid 1943, when P-38,47's and P-51 B's started to come out in enough numbers to take over. The early P-36 A and a few of the improved B's had mix armament of a 30 cal and 50 cal machine gun, the C's had twin 50's in the nose.

Here is a little tech fact the P-40 was the fastest rolling fighter we produced, nothing could out roll it, not the 38, 39, 47, or even the P-51 B or D! The only other fighter that could out roll it was the Fw -190 as it had a better newer designed wing and aileon's

SolarYellow

Sensei
Established Member
Premium Member
Any particular story that you're comfortable sharing?

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
Any story of an American soldier killing an enemy is fair game.

Since Pop is dead nothing he did could be used against him. The stories are the usual of people who saw blood and guts fighting. I enjoyed the one where his group was stalking a group of nazi's through hedgerows of France and such and finally caught them as they were setting up camp in the woods. He told me how he shot one right in the head and nothing was left. Another he shot in the torso which pulverized the stooge and left his guts hanging out. When I asked what did he do with the dead, he said he used it as a table for his mess kit as they ate and it provided some cover. Then he told a story about guarding French farmhouses from russian soldiers and how one Red (a big bastard.....in his own words) came back twice (after being told Americans were guarding it) and was told the third time you come back you're dead. Bang. That's all he said about the third time.

Users who are viewing this thread