The WWII Thread

HudsonFalcon

Established Member

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
Wow Dave that’s heartbreaking. The Armistice was signed on 11/11/18. He was so close to the end and still didn’t make it.

Must’ve been in one of the battles of the 100 days offensive.

Very sobering to go thru that list of casualties and especially seeing so many killed in Nov of 1918..

wizbangdoodle

Inslee is an Idiot
Established Member
Premium Member
This is my MIL. Not sure what plane this is, but she told me her favorite that she got to fly was the hellcat. She was also involved in the remote control program back then, as the recovery pilot.
1c64c9c2c45258d3a9aa96fad14c9841.jpg

Deceptive

Muffin is my spirit animal
Established Member
Premium Member
I think members of my family have served in every war since, at least WWII.

I love watching military documentaries, especially WWII. At least 25% of my streaming lists consist of military documentaries.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

HudsonFalcon

Established Member

I love watching military documentaries, especially WWII. At least 25% of my streaming lists consist of military documentaries.

I enjoy the documentaries myself and it’s amazing all the new secrets that comes out seemingly every year.

Recon

Established Member

I’ve come to realize something similar about my family, but backwards. My grandfather is heavily interested in our genealogy now and through my cousin’s and my research; we’ve found many members in various conflicts. Two of which I’m almost positive knew each other in the revolutionary war, and a few generations later their descendants married. Which I find amazing.

Sent from somewhere in the twilight zone…

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs

Panzer Archeology a Polish metal hunter where he has found a few parts of Panthers, Pz IV's and even a rare Ferdinand/Elephant in a few fields in Poland. Everything on this channel is from his personal photo collection. This clip is the M-36 Jackson probably my favorite American AFV during the war. Check out the last photo at the end it is of the M-36 B1 where they made 187 of them by fitting the M-36 turret onto a M4A3 hull. It was loved by it's crew due to the hull mounted M-1919 being able to keep Panzerfaust packing Germans outside the maximum range of the rocket AT weapon.

Then this Russian he has divided his channels into two the Easter Front and WW2 Heros this is the one about an obscure weapon that was nasty against vehicles and men as it used White Phosphorus and Sulfur which when exposed to air ignites into a 3,000 F fireball that can melt right through harden steel. The Ampulomet (Molotov thrower was not widely known.) WWII Heros

then Eastern Front about a certain badge you didn't want to be caught with when on the Easter front.
Then finally Tino Struckmann's Lost Battlefields and his exploration of abandoned factories and field works and fortresses across Europe mostly from the German side.

His latest one
Really great and haunting videos. I learned quite a bit watching those. Great thread.

Silverstrike

It's to big to move FAST!
Established Member
Looks like a F4F did a nose over hard to tell if the pilot damaged the prop. from the distance but I would say yes on that.

Here is some more WWII trivia the Soviet I-16 and USN F4F had manual crank main landing gears but it took over 50 revolutions to retract the I-16's while the F4F was only 15 due to a higher gear ratio for the Grumman fighter. Why wonder those Soviet fliers seem to be over whelmed once in the air.

Lambeau

Superfleck Moonbird
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
Here's a couple WWII resources you buffs may enjoy adding to your wealth of knowledge:

1) The Second World Wars - "a free online course taught by Victor Davis Hanson and Larry P. Arnn, will help you to understand this massive and complex conflict in a new way by organizing the war into seven fundamental topics: The Stakes of World War II, Air, Water, Earth, Fire, People, and Ends. The result is a clear picture of why the war was fought and how the Allied powers ultimately triumphed."

I took the class and thought it was excellent.

Linky:

Just received VDH's new book on WWII that the class is based on. I ordered it after starting the online class. It's about 600 pages, cost was $28. Should be excellent as well.

1BA03B0A-6255-444B-8397-18020285E5D6.jpeg
C3AC01BC-65DC-4A84-A51D-9BCE62D0EB7C.jpeg

2) The World At War - You can purchase the dvd's, or stream it for free on Dailymotion.
I purchased the 5 dvd set of 26 episodes several years ago off eBay. You can find them for $30-$50. It's excellent. Best comprehensive documentary ever produced about WWII because of the interviews and film footage.
It's from the British pov, but excellent nonetheless.
The narrators voice, Sir Lawrence Olivier, is absolutely captivating.

BA51BA8A-053C-4CC2-96FB-D7C3BE2C9A8E.jpeg

072A216E-7ACC-403A-B0F8-460796EA9AC9.jpeg

Not sure all the episodes are here on the Dailymotion website, but they're free:

Linky:

Users who are viewing this thread