The WWII Thread

Lambeau

Superfleck Moonbird
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia

93Cobra#2771

SVT God
Established Member
Finally finished my re-watch of BOB. Also watched the documentary immediately after. Powerful stuff. Will probably rotate around to watch some other non WWII stuff, then I'll pivot back around to watch "The Pacific". Hopefully with a bit of a different expectation I can get into it a bit better.

Silverstrike

It's to big to move FAST!
Established Member
001.JPG

Just got these this Friday and so got pretty much everything for my Bolt Action armies. Rubicon Models make some good model kits just that you have to use either a very good super glue or ABS type glue for them as if you do not the pieces will not bond and so you just end up with a big old mess. The SD Kfz 7 (8 ton payload) was the 3rd largest halftrack type to be built and see service in the war they originally was to tow and position the FLAK 36/37 88mm field AA gun, the largest halftracks was the 12 ton SD Kfz 8 then the monster SD Kfz 9 (18 ton payload). The 9 was so massive and expensive as it cost 60,000 Reichsmarks to build a Panther Ausf A tank was 117,000!!!!

The M-5A1 and M-8 Scott was off shoots of the M3 Stuart light tank, except the M5 had twin Cadillac V-8's and a GM hydromatic automatic gearbox and a little thicker armor in the nose 64mm vs the 50 that the M-3 had. The Scott was built from Sept 42 to Jan 44. The reason it was so short in production was that the M-7 Priest SPG and 105mm armed Sherman's was made and could do everything the M-8 could and better with the larger gun and HE ammo over the lighter 75mm howitzer the M-8 had. But the M-8 continued to be used in all fronts to the end of the war as it's light weight and size was perfect in the iland hopping campaigns in the Pacific and the tight winding roads in Italy.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator

Inglorious? No. Bastards? Never. Meet the real Tarantino war heroes

Article:

Video links. It's also available on amazon prime periodically as a freebie.
Start ~0:45 in:

Thanks for that. I really enjoyed that story.

Lambeau

Superfleck Moonbird
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
Still "accidentally" locating live WWII ordnance in the UK. Reports were EOD attempted to demil, but it went bang. Thankfully no one was hurt. Just numerous reports of full drawers.

In a previous life, had an M55 go off in my hand while I was attempting to demil a fuze.
****ing-A. Still got all my fingers - lol.

Klaus

Established Member
Premium Member
Sadly I do not have much of a connection to the war.

I did have a great uncle that was a seabee in the South Pacific. He would have to build landing strips while being strafed by the Japanese.

He HATED the japs. Strangely he was the first person I knew to buy a Japanese car. He bought an accord in 1979 and had civics and accords for the rest of his life. He loved Japanese cars as much as he hated Japanese people.

Lambeau

Superfleck Moonbird
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
Humbling video on war deaths, focused on WWII. The cause of deaths of military and civilians from a war will always be disputed for a variety of reasons.

It's insane to think + or - a few million human beings lives is "close enough".

For perspective, if we were silent 1 second for every WWII death, 70 million people, no one would speak for 2.2 years.

If we chose the high side, 85 million people, we'd be silent for 2.7 years.

Anyway, here's a video that's been posted several times before on SVTP, but not in this thread.

The video:

Here's one historian's assessment:

derklug

Seriously? No, never.
Established Member
Premium Member
Still "accidentally" locating live WWII ordnance in the UK. Reports were EOD attempted to demil, but it went bang. Thankfully no one was hurt. Just numerous reports of full drawers.

In a previous life, had an M55 go off in my hand while I was attempting to demil a fuze.
****ing-A. Still got all my fingers - lol.
When I was stationed at Geilenkirchen they found something every time they dug a hole.

365 Saleen

Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
My former Father-in-Law was a tail gunner during WW2. The stories he would tell were chilling. He survived being shot down 3 times.
He was ostracized by his family because he was assigned to the Pacific Theater to fight Japan and they wanted him to go fight the Germans. He tried to tell them you can't choose where you fight when you enlist, they TELL you where you are going. On top of that, he lied about his age to enlist. He was only 17 years old at the time. How many 17 year olds in this day and age would do that? I would venture none.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
My former Father-in-Law was a tail gunner during WW2. The stories he would tell were chilling. He survived being shot down 3 times.
He was ostracized by his family because he was assigned to the Pacific Theater to fight Japan and they wanted him to go fight the Germans. He tried to tell them you can't choose where you fight when you enlist, they TELL you where you are going. On top of that, he lied about his age to enlist. He was only 17 years old at the time. How many 17 year olds in this day and age would do that? I would venture none.

That was common for the greatest generation, lots of fellas lying about their age to get into the fight. The balls on that generation. They were bad asses!

John Wayne Cheers GIF by GritTV

Klaus

Established Member
Premium Member
I watched "All Quiet on The Western Front" this past weekend and am now re-watching "Band of Brothers."

WWI was such a waste. There were no objectives, it was essentially one day after another running across a field to your death. No meaningful territory was captured and that which was captured was surrendered as soon as it was captured. The advanced weaponry combined with archaic strategy maximized the amount of death. All for nothing.

Contrast this with WWII. Every battle centered on an objective. It was a necessary war beyond an exhibition of death. Band of Brothers does a great job of portraying this.

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
On my mothers side my grandfather was too young to enlist for WW2 but got in the navy and served in the Korean War. Ended up in Japan and met my grandma. She told stories of the Hiroshima bombing as she wasn’t in the immediate area, obviously, but remember hiding for a while near a bridge.

Always was interested in the pacific theater. Crazy how ruthless the Japanese were in the 30s and 40s.

Klaus

Established Member
Premium Member
On my mothers side my grandfather was too young to enlist for WW2 but got in the navy and served in the Korean War. Ended up in Japan and met my grandma. She told stories of the Hiroshima bombing as she wasn’t in the immediate area, obviously, but remember hiding for a while near a bridge.

Always was interested in the pacific theater. Crazy how ruthless the Japanese were in the 30s and 40s.

I bet they were both amazing people. Have you read John Hersey's "Hiroshima?" It is a quick but awesome read.

Users who are viewing this thread