"The ZL1 name should be protected"

bullitt2735

Established Member
No, nothing really wrong with BWI... I just looked ahead to Control Blade IRS. Now I have to see if the two systems are capable.

ahh I see, don't the FG falcons used the control blade irs or is this a new updated version? From what I hear they work pretty well but need stiffer bushings if it is the same version the falcons use

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Established Member
Capable or compatible?

Compatible, and if the CBIRS is capable of supporting MRC... The traditional coilovers can be used in CBIRS. There are wheel well scarifies but no different than coilovers used today.

ahh I see, don't the FG falcons used the control blade irs or is this a new updated version? From what I hear they work pretty well but need stiffer bushings if it is the same version the falcons use
It was Gen 2 CBIRS... I don't know what Gen 3 will look like.

Last edited:

f ê r

Tropical Tuned
Established Member
I found something about the Ausie control blade irs and how they could use it on future Mustangs

TheMustangNews.com - Australian Falcon IRS

Tech: The IRS from Down Under.

Story by Sam Haymart
Dana builds a world class rear suspension for Ford's Australian models. We explore how this unit is perfect for the next generation Mustang.

07-12-06: Here in the States we are still driving Ford Mustangs with a live axle rear suspension design that’s a half century old. Since the mid 1990’s Ford enthusiasts have been wondering when Mustang would ever move into the now, and offer a modern independent rear suspension (IRS).

The SN-95 Mustangs were designed and launched without it. Then came the 1999-2004 SVT Cobras equipped with a cobbled together, half measure of an IRS that performed poorly. It gave IRS a bad name with owners and bean counters alike. While early S-197 Mustangs were planned to have IRS, bean counters won out and we once again were stuck with an “ox cart” rear suspension. All the while, Ford buyers in Australia have been enjoying world class IRS for years in a wide range of Falcon, Futura, and Fairlane models from mundane to insane.

Ford Australia’s latest version of the IRS found in the current Falcon is a world class design with multiple links, heavy duty construction for the rough roads in OZ and a growing list of accolades from the automotive press. With rumors that this system will find its way into future American Ford models, possibly even the Mustang, we thought we’d have a look at it.

Called “Control Blade IRS“, the package is based on a similar system used in the European Ford Focus and Jaguar's X-type. It has one beefy trailing link, two lateral links, and a toe-control link. All of those components are mounted to a lightweight drop-in sub-frame. Ford's Australian division chassis development manager Alex de Vlugt said, "The great benefit of Control Blade IRS is that it's been designed to separate suspension functions, allowing an optimal tune for varying conditions."

The stout forward trailing link, or control blade, is strong enough to keep unwanted wheel motions to a minimum. Further, the use of a stamped steel arm that connects to a cast upright keeps weight down. Along with the multiple lateral and toe control links, this unit has excellent resistance to wheel hop. In fact Ford Australia already has tuning in place for high horsepower applications with the BOSS 290 Falcons which come with a snarling 5.4 liter DOHC power plant.

In addition to being more flexible and compact for design and packaging, the Australian IRS is also cost conscious for Ford. This is course has always been the excuse for the Mustang being without IRS. In Australia they see significant savings by outsourcing its manufacture to well known American component supplier, Dana Corporation. They build the complete IRS package at their own facility adjacent to Ford Australia's Campbellfield vehicle assembly plant.

In fact, Dana actually did much of the design for the system. Through the co-location of Dana engineers in Ford's product development facilities, Dana and Ford were able to collaborate on the design and development of the independent rear suspension system. The collaboration has achieved significant cost savings. "By being involved in the early stages of the design and development of this system, we were able to capture potential synergies and identify and address issues earlier in the product development process," said Steve Hanley, vice president of Dana's Systems Integration Group.

The finished system consists of 78 components from 27 suppliers. It weighs slightly more than a live axle and its related components but the un-sprung weight which affects handling is dramatically reduced. We applaud Ford’s recent announcement that the Australian division will be involved if not completely chartered to develop the next generation of rear-wheel drive cars for the American market. Thus, the Dana IRS package is likely headed for a dealership in the States at some point in the future. We hope the Mustang finally gets its due.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
The national incentives on Mustang models is $500 and $1500. I believe the national incentive for the Camaro is $1000. Any savings higher than those are dealer incentives and really has nothing to do with Ford themselves.

_financemustang-1.jpg

(even more incentives).

Great for overall Mustang sales numbers, not so great if you are looking for a GT500 or a Boss.

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Established Member
Thanks for the post Tob, $3000 cash back is huge. The 2012 stock is probably getting pretty slim at this point. I never really understood why some cars have incentives before production... I received $2000 back on a 2011 at the time I ordered it on 8 March 2010. Sometimes incentives are initiated as a type of MSRP adjustment on elderly models. After R&D, cost of parts and cost of production has bottomed out, lowering the MSRP would be suicide. Simply increase the MSRP slightly year over year to recoup the cost of upgrades and then offer a cash back.

There is less butt hurt for those that bought a 2011 at $30,000 with a $2000 cash back... While a 2012 owner paid $31,000 and got $3000 cash back.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Let's just hope that the recent Mustang sales surge has Ford paying very close attention. A base GT500 that is significantly higher than a well optioned ZL1 would be a killer. I'm sure they'd like to keep the latest trend going...

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Established Member
Let's just hope that the recent Mustang sales surge has Ford paying very close attention. A base GT500 that is significantly higher than a well optioned ZL1 would be a killer. I'm sure they'd like to keep the latest trend going...
It is a strange February sales number this year. Production of the 2012s stopped in November, I have a feeling that these numbers are a 2011 and 2012 mix. Fleet sales won't come out until next month at the earliest (April more likely). The 2013 just started on the 27th of February so fleet sales will come after that. Ford is getting very close to 1 million S197s sold, one more model year could do it...

Edit: 2012 Last order date was 23 December, Last Job date was 24 February.... my bad.

Last edited:

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Established Member
Since you guys are my bestest friends in the whole World.... Wide Web...

Here is a great independent published read on the S197 IRS. It weighed less than our current SRA. This is not Control Blade (unless somebody sees trailing arm mounts)
And it’s weight was very comparable to ye olde iron and steel solid axle. Too bad it’s stuck on the shelf.

DrivingEnthusiast Blog | All about the missing Mustang IRS

Super great read... lots of pictures... IF YOU ARE AN S197 ENTHUSIAST, READ THIS ARTICLE!!!

s197-mustang-production-irs-7.png

It is not out of the realm of reality that Ford themselves could do a mid MY13 release. Since the Shelby/Ford contract will expire in Jan 2013 (as far as I know), could SVT finally do the 20th Anniversary Cobra R? May give this IRS a shot... I asked Jamal this very question and the question was passed on :(

427752_344314342267004_100000653239737_1153028_1352036118_n.jpg
403739_344194225612349_100000653239737_1152829_1488077391_n.jpg

Last edited:

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
wow, there is a LOT of bullshit and unsubstantiated conjecture in that article.
shows pics of the '06 cobra mule with rear brembos, and concludes that they would have been on the production car - we've seen a LOT of stuff on mules that didn't make production(cross drilled rotors on the 'ring mules) if you want to stick with brakes).
the mustang was supposed to get numerous optional engines including a 7.0l DOHC V8, and both SOHC and DOHC supercharged 4.6l - i don't need to explain how absolutely absurd that is in the first place, but ford didn't even have an engine platform that could support 7.0l back then. and single and DOHC 4.6ls supercharged??? sure...
multiples of poseur scoops and stripes and silly fanged worms - the shelby has never had any scoops, and the hood vents are obviously absolutely functional. silly fanged worms? he must mean stalwart logos of both shelby and the cobra mustang.
the intention was to bring the rear suspension into the 21st century - funny, the mustang GT hangs with the $65k BMW M3 in all performance metrics.
then the claims about the ford GT being an engineering disaster, the MT82 is a failure even though the problems have subsided in the newer models and the vast majority of them have been problem free, etc.
i find it intriguing that there is apparently no author and comments are closed. i'll get my facts elsewhere.

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Established Member
wow, there is a LOT of bullshit and unsubstantiated conjecture in that article.
shows pics of the '06 cobra mule with rear brembos, and concludes that they would have been on the production car - we've seen a LOT of stuff on mules that didn't make production(cross drilled rotors on the 'ring mules) if you want to stick with brakes).
the mustang was supposed to get numerous optional engines including a 7.0l DOHC V8, and both SOHC and DOHC supercharged 4.6l - i don't need to explain how absolutely absurd that is in the first place, but ford didn't even have an engine platform that could support 7.0l back then. and single and DOHC 4.6ls supercharged??? sure...
multiples of poseur scoops and stripes and silly fanged worms - the shelby has never had any scoops, and the hood vents are obviously absolutely functional. silly fanged worms? he must mean stalwart logos of both shelby and the cobra mustang.
the intention was to bring the rear suspension into the 21st century - funny, the mustang GT hangs with the $65k BMW M3 in all performance metrics.
then the claims about the ford GT being an engineering disaster, the MT82 is a failure even though the problems have subsided in the newer models and the vast majority of them have been problem free, etc.
i find it intriguing that there is apparently no author and comments are closed. i'll get my facts elsewhere.
He did take a lot of unnecessary jabs at the car... What I really liked was the photos of the complete S197 IRS. Cast aluminum sub frame, exhaust passes straight under the axle and it weighed less than the SRA. All that cast aluminum sub frame would really tighten the car up. I need to look a bit closer at the Control Blade mounting points or there would need to be another casting made for the mounts. Training arms can pretty much be fitted anywhere..

I agree with you Ry about all the spewing, but the fact that it does exist should get Road Racers happy...

Users who are viewing this thread