Their all gonna laugh at me!!!!

5BANERZ

Established Member
So the wait came to an end last night and I picked up my Shelby at the dealership. During my 20 years of driving I have mostly driven Ford pickup trucks. Hit the ramp to the highway to come home, shifted gears pretty quick to keep RPM's down on the new engine, and started the 100 mile cruise home. Started to cruise, looked down at speedo, and found myself running 100. Holy Jesus, this car wants to jog at triple digits. Made it home without any tickets and had a blast driving that 100 miles. Gonna take it easy while I learn to handle this kind of power. As the saying goes, this ain't your grand daddy's F-150. Feel free to laugh at me, I'm pretty sure I know what heaven is like now. :burnout:

Last edited:

GT500662

Established Member
Awesome....enjoy, but do be very careful these cars can bite you very quickly. Congratulations on your new ride. Now post us a picture!!

ponygirl06

Established Member
It is very easy to look down and discover you are going 100, especially if you are on an interstate with the windows closed and top up for convertibles. The. car is smooth at 85+ and likes to run at 90. I accidentally hit 80-90 several times after I picked mine up. My previous car was a 2006 Mustang GT convertible that only had a CAI, 93 tune and short throw shifter so my GT500 has twice the HP my old car had. You quickly learn to respect the power.
Congratulations on your car. You will have a great time while you are learning what the car likes. You might scare your self and any passengers before you learn, but that only makes you learn quicker.

440sprint

Established Member
Welcome to the madness with unlimited fun!

Wait until you have that holy s##t scare when the rear end tries to come around! Keep your nannies on for a good while. Warm those OEM tires up real good before ANY playing and replace them ASAP for better traction.

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
Started to cruise, looked down at speedo, and found myself running 100. Holy Jesus, this car wants to jog at triple digits.

Yup, it's a very sneaky car. You're not pushing it, you're not revving it to the moon, you're not even at 50% throttle yet somehow you're already at "Arrest me!" speeds. The yawning ease this car gets up to high speeds is more dangerous financially than any other aspect of the car, in my opinion.

Congrats and enjoy :beer:

03Cobra05GT

Established Member
Congrats OP! Post some pics.

Yup, it's a very sneaky car. You're not pushing it, you're not revving it to the moon, you're not even at 50% throttle yet somehow you're already at "Arrest me!" speeds. The yawning ease this car gets up to high speeds is more dangerous financially than any other aspect of the car, in my opinion.

LOL I agree. I think we have all had that happen. I got caught once, but he was a fan and nice enough to let me go lol. It was 3 weeks after I got mine, and seriously had no idea I was cruising that fast.

masonh

Established Member
The yawning ease this car gets up to high speeds is more dangerous financially than any other aspect of the car, in my opinion.

Yep, and I have to avoid all moving violations until the 17th of next month or I lose my insurance. I had enough trouble finding insurance to begin with and one of the only companies to accept me told me a ticket before July 18th will be six in three years and auto cancellation of policy.

It is a hard car to drive slow.

Derek5774

Established Member
So the wait came to an end last night and I picked up my Shelby at the dealership. During my 20 years of driving I have mostly driven Ford pickup trucks. Hit the ramp to the highway to come home, shifted gears pretty quick to keep RPM's down on the new engine, and started the 100 mile cruise home. Started to cruise, looked down at speedo, and found myself running 100. Holy Jesus, this car wants to jog at triple digits. Made it home without any tickets and had a blast driving that 100 miles. Gonna take it easy while I learn to handle this kind of power. As the saying goes, this ain't your grand daddy's F-150. Feel free to laugh at me, I'm pretty sure I know what heaven is like now. :burnout:

enjoy it!! I'm not laughing, I'm glad for you
and do respect these monsters, mine almost got me a few times, the torque is insane straight from the factory!!! and with a few mods OMG!! fast

Black Thunder 715

Established Member
That's because the 6th gear ratio is boooooring. I'm planning to change my rear end to 3:55 to pick up some more rpm when doing 70+mph. Also I recommend that you take your time to get to know your beast and drive like an old lady for a while.

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
That's because the 6th gear ratio is boooooring. I'm planning to change my rear end to 3:55 to pick up some more rpm when doing 70+mph. Also I recommend that you take your time to get to know your beast and drive like an old lady for a while.

I've heard people say that 3.73's in the GT500 is quite similar to the 3.55's in the old '03 Cobras. Having sold my 03 after 10 years of ownership I wouldn't want to go any taller gear than that. I think the 3.73's would be the minimum for me. That's just me, of course.

Black Thunder 715

Established Member
I've heard people say that 3.73's in the GT500 is quite similar to the 3.55's in the old '03 Cobras. Having sold my 03 after 10 years of ownership I wouldn't want to go any taller gear than that. I think the 3.73's would be the minimum for me. That's just me, of course.
I'm just trying to pick up a little bit of rpm in 6th gear going over 70 mph without burning extra gas. 3:73s are too high for me since I'm not trying to race the car. Besides I also need to update the speedometer with a tune after installing the 3:55s.

09Troublemaker

" That don't sound stock"
Established Member
O/P Congrats

FWIW- I find it best to turn everything off so you can see how easy she'll spin around 80. The car shouldn't scare you rather gain your respect;-)

Users who are viewing this thread