Things to do while IRS is out of car?

Top Fuel Friday

Dang!
Established Member
So I'm picking up an IRS this week for my 1997 cobra. I have some time between when I'm going to pick it up and when I'm going to install it.

The IRS is out of an 01 cobra. I know I want to do the following before I get it all buttoned up into the car, but just wanted to check if there was anything I was missing. I plan on using my stock drive shaft.

- 4.10 gears
- Traction lock rebuild kit (from 03-04 cobra)
- Ford Racing IRS diff cover
- FTBR Bushings in subframe
- FTBR bushings around IRS Pumpkin
- Add front brace from 03-04 cobras
- Maybe FTBR bushings in A arms (I believe I can do this later since the A arms are accessible with the IRS in the car

01yellercobra

Established Member
Do all the bushings while it's out. It's just easier. Check the condition of the cross axis joints and hub bearings. You might want to look into a toe link upgrade since it's apart. And keep an eye out for 03/04 half shafts. Another easy upgrade while it's apart.

Top Fuel Friday

Dang!
Established Member
Also don't forget to put a SRA in while it's out :D

I'll keep that in mind ;)

Why not grab the FTBR swaybar endlinks? Only another $55.

LMAO

Ha! This is the typical mustang dilemma. Everything's only 50 or 100 bucks more, why not go ahead, then you end up with 20 things that were "only" 50 or 100 bucks each. I caught my self looking at this, a new 03-04 cobra spec traction lock is only 120 bucks more than the tlock rebuild kit. Why not just buy the new one lol?

01yellercobra

Established Member
I'll keep that in mind ;)

Ha! This is the typical mustang dilemma. Everything's only 50 or 100 bucks more, why not go ahead, then you end up with 20 things that were "only" 50 or 100 bucks each. I caught my self looking at this, a new 03-04 cobra spec traction lock is only 120 bucks more than the tlock rebuild kit. Why not just buy the new one lol?

Look around for diffs that came out of the 05+ Mustangs. They're all 31 spline and have the carbon fiber clutches. At least the GT's and GT500's do. I don't know about the V6. There was a guy around here selling one that had a couple hundred miles on it for $50.

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
Drill a hole in the bottom of the pumpkin and tap it for 1/8" npt thread. Get a 1/8" npt hex plug and install it with some teflon tape. This will make draining the IRS much easier vs sucking the old fluid out through the fill hole or dropping the IRS pumpkin just to change diff fluid.

Charlington

Established Member
Replace your fuel filter
Wrap exhaust for a foot or so under the pumpkin. No sense cooking the new oil. I read somewhere the diff oil runs about 50* cooler if you run side exhaust.

SVTORANGE

Established Member
Drill a hole in the bottom of the pumpkin and tap it for 1/8" npt thread. Get a 1/8" npt hex plug and install it with some teflon tape. This will make draining the IRS much easier vs sucking the old fluid out through the fill hole or dropping the IRS pumpkin just to change diff fluid.

That is an excellent point - thank you

Top Fuel Friday

Dang!
Established Member
Picked up a bolt on suspension mod today...

Definitely going to replace several of the bushings, the IRS has ~ 70K miles on it and some are already toast.

20140911_104822.jpg

Top Fuel Friday

Dang!
Established Member
Did you get the rear mount buckets?

View attachment 24566

Oh yeah, There were a few things I was very specific I wanted from the IRS. I got those, the abs lines, brake lines, and e-brake cables.

The abs lines and the exhaust hangers were cut when i picked it up, supper bummer but the guy did knock some of the price off because of it.

Now I'm trying to decide the best route, cut the frame and insert and weld nuts for the IRS lower bolts and weld the frame back, or have the bottom of the bracket welded to the frame rail with no bolts.

Charlington

Established Member
The 4 threaded holes on each side of the frame that those brackets bolt to will need cleaning for the bolts to go in smoothly. The holes are 12mm x 1.75 and I picked up a thread repair set at Sears instead of using a Tap. Couple squirts of oil and it goes pretty fast. Or just put a 12 x 1.75 bolt instead if you don't have the Tap and save some money.
The IRS I bought had been taken apart and put back together incorrectly. Just a couple of bolts facing the wrong way and the camber adjusting bolts backwards so probably a good idea to check the torque on all of them.

Last edited:

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
So I'm picking up an IRS this week for my 1997 cobra. I have some time between when I'm going to pick it up and when I'm going to install it.

The IRS is out of an 01 cobra. I know I want to do the following before I get it all buttoned up into the car, but just wanted to check if there was anything I was missing. I plan on using my stock drive shaft.

- 4.10 gears
- Traction lock rebuild kit (from 03-04 cobra)
- Ford Racing IRS diff cover
- FTBR Bushings in subframe
- FTBR bushings around IRS Pumpkin
- Add front brace from 03-04 cobras
- Maybe FTBR bushings in A arms (I believe I can do this later since the A arms are accessible with the IRS in the car

Just so you know, the upper control arm bushings CANNOT be replaced with the IRS subframe in the chassis. Neither can the subframe bushings. Both of those require the removal of the subframe from the chassis to replace them. Everything else can be replaced with the subframe in the chassis.

FWIW

:thumbsup::coolman::beer:

Users who are viewing this thread