Thinkin about buying a new truck

punchit

Established Member
Im going to be looking in to purchasing a 2005+ lifted duramax, powerstroke, and leaning toward the cummins. Ive been thinking about this for a long time and really wanna make the jump. I know i can afford the monthly cost for insurance and payment but was asking for any and all opinions/suggestions. I also have a streetbike so when diesel hikes back up in price i will mainly ride that. So basically my question is it the best time to buy a huge truck? Any opinions on specific brands, really really leaning toward the cummins. Dont want to go gas by the way only diesel.

Tispho

Established Member
I was looking at trucks the other day... and the prices are real low right now.. Especially the 3/4th ton diesels. The other day I found a 2007 6.0 diesel 40,000 miles Ford F350 Short Bed Lariat Outlaw SRW for $30,000. Keep in mind that the Lariat Outlaw is one of the highest trim levels.

If it wasn't for the high price of ULSD diesel, this truck would still be worth close to 38-45K

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/cto/990734821.html

The Dodge Cummins might be a better engine, but the Fords are better trucks.

I recommend that you go with Ford, mainly because I'm a Ford truck guy. But if you do, only look for pre 2003 (7.3 direct injection diesel) Trucks or 2005- 2007 Trucks (6.0). The 2003 - 2004.5 diesels had a lot of problems when the 6.0 diesel was first released, its less likely that you'll have a problem with a 2005+ truck since Navistar made improvements to the 6.0 motor.

Last edited:

LIGHTNING LARRY

Retired
Super Moderator
Im going to be looking in to purchasing a 2005+ lifted duramax, powerstroke, and leaning toward the cummins. Ive been thinking about this for a long time and really wanna make the jump. I know i can afford the monthly cost for insurance and payment but was asking for any and all opinions/suggestions. I also have a streetbike so when diesel hikes back up in price i will mainly ride that. So basically my question is it the best time to buy a huge truck? Any opinions on specific brands, really really leaning toward the cummins. Dont want to go gas by the way only diesel.

I have an early 07 GMC 3500 with the Duramax/Allison combo.
I am 100% happy with it. It's a great truck and very strong.

Stock except for a mild Predator tune and AFE CAI from Jared at Lethal.

BLACK97C0BRA

97DOHCAMMER
Established Member
I would get either the powerstroke or the cummings, depending on year i personally dont really like the new 6.4 tt powerstroke but the 6.0 and 7.3 are good, with that being said the 6 cyl cummings is a mule.

Finaltheorem47

I'm a Lead Farmer
Established Member
I would get either the powerstroke or the cummings, depending on year i personally dont really like the new 6.4 tt powerstroke but the 6.0 and 7.3 are good, with that being said the 6 cyl cummings is a mule.

Cummins!

Anyways yeah my dads had a 7.3 for a long time and I've put an intake exhaust and a chip on it which bumped the highway millage to 28 and the city to 23-24 and the thing is still running strong. 7.3s in my opinion are the best diesel ford has ever produced.

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
Check out CoalRollers.com - Powered by vBulletin. Just sign in with your SVTP username and password. Keep in mind that the Cummins comes wrapped in a Dodge.

Not much different than a good body with a bad heart.;-) Get the manual tranny like all true work trucks should be, and the Dodge is a real bad mofo.

All joking aside, I own all three and they are all pretty good. Each has it's + and -. Drive them and see what you like the best.

Last edited:

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Not much different than a good body with a bad heart.;-) Get the manual tranny like all true work trucks should be, and the Dodge is a real bad mofo.

All joking aside, I own all three and they are all pretty good. Each has it's + and -. Drive them and see what you like the best.

The Dodges I've had experiance with more problems than just the tranny. The fit and finish are not on par with the Fords either. That may all change with the 2010 Ram though.

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
The Dodges I've had experiance with more problems than just the tranny. The fit and finish are not on par with the Fords either. That may all change with the 2010 Ram though.

Agreed, the Dosdge is definitely more rough around the edges (not always a bad thing for a work truck).

I'm a bit jaded with the Fords i guess, as we had lots of turbo and electrical issues, not to mention some tranny problems. In my business, we put our trucks through hell. Every auto truck we have will have a tranny issue before 100k miles. That's why we get rid of them after 2 yrs. For whatever reason the manual Cummins feels like it could pull both the Chevy and Ford all over the place. It's a f'in monster.

cobra_4

#PITS
Established Member
I've owned a 2003 F250, 2005 Dodge 3500, 2006 Dodge 2500, and a 2007 Chevy 2500 classic. If I had to go buy another new one I'd probably buy another duramax. Its the only one I had zero complaints with. The ford the turbo took a dump on me, the first dodge was fine the automatic was just weak, I loved the second dodge with the six speed but it had a problem at idle on cold mornings that the dealer never could figure out. But to answer your question now is the time to buy. I was looking at a used 08 F350 before I got my mustang and they were basically trying to give it away. Its still on the lot actually.

Users who are viewing this thread