Thinking about getting out of the mustang hobby....

FoxRodStang

Established Member
Thinking about getting out of the mustang hobby....
For some reason, I'm thinking of selling my mustang. Someone change my mind. I keep thinking that it's a bottomless money pit. I have modded it since day one & have no stopping point insight. I am thinking of a 4x4 5.0 explorer. I'd do wheels & tires, small lift, & a decent stereo system. Then leave it alone.

I've made a list of pro's & con's of each.

Mustang

+ it is my speed fix
- bottomless money pit
- small cargo capacity
- no towing capability
+ goes fast
- gas mileage will only get worse with mods

Explorer

+ room for a decent stereo & cargo
+ towing capability
+ has a point where I won't mod it anymore
- soccer mom mobile
+ can go play in the mud
+ gas mileage won't change much with mods
- won't touch my speed fix

I know I'm kinda comparing apples to oranges, but, I'm also wanting to do other things - like build up a rainy day fund, buy a new drum kit, pay off some debt. I don't see myself being able to do those things on my income & modding the mustang. I love my mustang & have always wanted one, but, I'm just not sure if it's the best time (financially) for me to own & build one.

I can't buy have both unfortunatly.

help me out ya'll...I need some advice.

thanks,
Blackout

kingCOBRAsvt_99

STOCK..looking
Established Member
well if you do end up selling it Ill buy it just not until late feb early march when i get my car trailer I need a street car and am looking for a 89-92. BUTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT YOU SHOULDNT SELL IT ill bet you'll regret it.....i know i would

ESVEETEE

Established Member
im actually considering the similar thing... an explorer is more and more appealing to me (we dont get much snow here, but occasional icy roads and just all around bad stormy weather at times), but im not sure yet.

IMO if you're losin your "fix", then you either need somethin faster, or you need out of it. The more responsible route (and cheaper) is to just get out for a few years, and get back in when you're a little better off. I think that may be what I do because college has me thinkin about a lot in the way of the future.

99cobrablack

Non-premium'
Established Member
a mod bug is a mod bug. I bought my stroker with just the intentions of doing straight-piped exhaust, help with fuel mpg any way I can. I now just about as many mods and more money wrapped up in it with mostly used shit than I do my cobra toy. lift, tires/wheels, window tint, exhaust, tuner, air intake setup, bed liner, and I have a list of stuff I want to keep doing to it. A mod bug is a mod bug, you will very rarely get to the point you want to stop IMHO. An explorer will do halfway decent on fuel mpg if you drive it nice, until you go with a lift/tires wheels then it will suck it down, when I went from 265's to 305's first time around I lost about 4-5 mpg off of a 19 mpg ride to start with.

Tommy98016

Heavy Ass Vert
Established Member
BlackoutStang302 said:
I am thinking of a 4x4 5.0 explorer. I'd do wheels & tires, small lift, & a decent stereo system. Then leave it alone.

luckly the Explorer does not have the after market options a Stang has but you will still find things to do. IMO I would keep the stang.

cobra96stang

Established Member
:beer:
99cobrablack said:
a mod bug is a mod bug. I bought my stroker with just the intentions of doing straight-piped exhaust, help with fuel mpg any way I can. I now just about as many mods and more money wrapped up in it with mostly used shit than I do my cobra toy. lift, tires/wheels, window tint, exhaust, tuner, air intake setup, bed liner, and I have a list of stuff I want to keep doing to it. A mod bug is a mod bug, you will very rarely get to the point you want to stop IMHO. An explorer will do halfway decent on fuel mpg if you drive it nice, until you go with a lift/tires wheels then it will suck it down, when I went from 265's to 305's first time around I lost about 4-5 mpg off of a 19 mpg ride to start with.

:beer:

Yep,
100% agree
I did the same thing a couple years back but got a jeep, ended up in the same boat and fuel economy wasnt much better if any.
I say keep the stang. :rockon:

SVT8U

Established Member
LIGHTNING LARRY said:
THAT'S A LIE!!! Gearheads NEVER "leave it alone". :lol1:
this is a smart man..... he has the right idea. Keep that stang brother!!!! :rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

loadchris

Established Member
Dude, I owned a 00GT w/ Vortech, exhaust, lowered...the works..about 7k worth of shit on this thing. Needless to say I sold it b/c I wanted a truck (I said I would leave it alone). Well I got the truck and ended up putting another 4k into it, lift, audio, rims,35s, the works!! Shitty mileage!! Now I am selling the truck for a 98 Cobra. I learned the hard way. I always kick myself in the ass for selling the stang b/c I put my hard earned money and time into it. Now I am going to do the same to the Cobra...BUT THIS TIME I WILL KEEP IT TILL I DIE!!!

I say keep the stang b/c its paid off and its your character..its who you are. I promise if you get rid of it you miss it sorely, all the cruises, showing off, people staring, shit like that puts a smile on your face. Take it from me!!

ESVEETEE

Established Member
After considerin what you guys've said about the gas mileage on an exploder, what would you guys suggest for- winter driving/gas mileage, thats an AMERICAN car because i dont want a japanese/german/anything else car :loser:

somethin 4wd/Awd with decent MPG would be lovely (and impossible? lol)

sharkbite

Filthy
Established Member
If your goal is to pay off debt and get more $$ in the bank, keep the stang. Your mods are already paid for, so buying more stuff for the new vehicle will just incur more debt. Just put your priorities in line and quit modding the stang. Keep it and enjoy it how it is. It has to stop somewhere. If you never stop, you'll never have anything to show for all your hard earned money. Your car will eventually turn into a rust heap, or you'll sell it and never get your mod money back. Just maintain it and start building up your cash heap.

Mr. Mach-ete

Liberals Suck
Established Member
Dude listen to yourself, your a wreck. Your saying you want to get away from the stang because of the moding but turn around and tell us how your going to mod this new truck? You need some sort of mod therapy or counseling...Keep the stang.

sharkbite

Filthy
Established Member
There's only one cure for the mod bug... A minivan. Even then, there's the Wal Mart plastic "spinnaz" option.

FoxRodStang

Established Member
thanks for the input ya'll.

Larry, you're right. I would just be less tempted to mod it much more than the stuff I listed because there's not that much of a market for them compared to mustangs.

Loadchris, I got that feeling tonight. My wife, some friends & I went to cracker barrel for supper tonight. When we were leaving my mustang & my buddy's 97 GT both had the people looking. I punched it when I left & got my fix. Ahh, what a feeling!

Blackout

edit: I did try to get out of the hot-rod sickness a long time ago. This was when I had a ranger splash. It lasted about 6 months before i was back to doing engine mods again. I still miss that truck because it looked awesome, & was very quick for a v6 & would suprise many v8's off the line.

Last edited:

Slo65

o harro ^_^
Established Member
i'm in the same boat, had pretty much all the boltons on the 5.0, got tired of the squeaks rattles blah blah... mileage wasnt terrible but i just wanted something new, got an 04mach1 couple weeks ago and havent looked back since, i just need to sell the damn 5.0, it'll always have a place in my heart, and i know down the line i'll be looking for a notch, but for now i like the mach as my dd

Users who are viewing this thread