thinking about going turbo...

LeoGSVT

Banned
there might have been some discussion about this before..but i didnt really find any info useful in doing a search..i know there are a couple poeple running some turbo kits, and i was wondering how streetable a turbo setup can be...i probably want to do a big single, somewhat like the X2C motorsports car...but then i heard the A/C must be removed..i was going to do a whipple..but most people who have high hp have a KB or whipple ...i understand the turbo route is $$ but i want something that not alot of people have, something crazy that will make awesome power...there is a local shop that does amazing custom fabricating and turbo work...and im wondering if i should just take it by them and see about peiceing together a kit..might be less $$..are there any personal experiences would be great..and how hard to you think it would be to get somethign like this going.....is there alot involved that i dont know about..usuall bolt ons will already be on the car..exhaust, x pipe, cold air, injectors, MAF, and a bad ass single turbo...looking to have a very streetable boost setting for pump gas maybe 10-15lbs...and then a high boost setting. how nasty would a terminator look with a front mount?? sorry for the long post guys...

LeoGSVT

Banned
yeah, i like that setup...but ive heard bad things about PTK...not bashing them thats just what i heard...never know till you try it yourself...but why does the X2C motorsports kit look so much nicer!!!

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Is this going to be a racer first and a daily driver second?

RollRight

Banned
CobraBob said:
Is this going to be a racer first and a daily driver second?
The wonders of the Electronic Boost Controller.

Cruise around at 5psi, go to the track, turn it up to 20psi in the staging lanes, rip a low 10, turn the boost back down and drive home :coolman:

SlowSVT

Established Member
I was thinking about going the Turbo route. After thinking about it I decided to stick with my original plan of a KB 2.4. 600 hp and gobs of low end torque will provide plenty of entertainment. Big plumbing and installation hassles with a Turbo. The blower will be a much cleaner install. I can imagine how much heat with all that tubro exhaust blumbing will trapped under the hood. The power a turbo will make must be frightening :eek:

Power Trip

Established Member
LeoGSVT said:
yeah, i like that setup...but ive heard bad things about PTK...not bashing them thats just what i heard...never know till you try it yourself...but why does the X2C motorsports kit look so much nicer!!!

Bad things? From who, internet people who have probably never even had a turbo on their mustang?

I had a PTK kit on my old 95, single kit with a sc61 turbo. The PTK kit was very high quality and fit like a GLOVE. Id put some thought into their stuff.

LeoGSVT

Banned
Power Trip said:
Bad things? From who, internet people who have probably never even had a turbo on their mustang?

I had a PTK kit on my old 95, single kit with a sc61 turbo. The PTK kit was very high quality and fit like a GLOVE. Id put some thought into their stuff.

i will have to look into them more then...this will be a daily driven car, and will see some track time...but it will mostly be a street car with a conservative boost setting, and the ability to be turned up for track use...i will miss that great low end trq. from a twin screw tho...but could you imagine the top end pulling power from a single setup?!?!? im going to do more research before i decide..

11secCobra

Way2Fast4These LS1 guys
Established Member
LeoGSVT said:
i will have to look into them more then...this will be a daily driven car, and will see some track time...but it will mostly be a street car with a conservative boost setting, and the ability to be turned up for track use...i will miss that great low end trq. from a twin screw tho...but could you imagine the top end pulling power from a single setup?!?!? im going to do more research before i decide..

hey, a turbo doesent do as bad on the low end of the graph as your prolly thinking. im sure if you saw some dyno sheets from a turbo like the PT76 or something similar, you would be in awe

full boost at 2500...and itll make more torque than a KB or whipple

Last edited:

NIELSTTCOBRA

Got Boost?
Established Member
i have an hp twin turbo kit laid out in my storage container ready to put in my car. They are very high quality kits, come with everything needed to install, have every upgrade imaginable if you want to, and you have tons of options as far as tuning. a turbo car can have just as good drivability as any setup. i'm personally running a pms system... the important thing is that you do have some $$$ to drop... my kit with 57mm turbos is good for as much as a 1000hp but count on seriously upgrading your fuel system beyond the kit to get those kinds of numbers. i decided to go turbo for the same reason you want to... to be different and make gobs of hp... another note is that turbos spool up alot faster than people think. my kit will hit full boost at 3,600 rpms.... thats faster than any centrifugal and will most the time even take a roots type car off the line... all that wheelspin of the eaton/kb/whipple cars is usually too much for the street.

an awesome site that really helped me decide how i wanted to go was:

http://www.turbomustangs.com/tmfaq.htm

hope this helps and when i finish my car by this summer, i'll be sure to post pics, dyno graphs, and vids... till then, good luck

mwaull

SVT VENM
Established Member
BuffDigits. . . do you know how much that HP stage I kit is??? My cobra is a daily driver so i want it to be reliable and all . . . so i dont need 1000 hp or anything . .. but enough to know i cant be beat on the highway at least . . . would this kit be good for my situation?

drkchk03svt

Established Member
LeoGSVT said:
there might have been some discussion about this before..but i didnt really find any info useful in doing a search..i know there are a couple poeple running some turbo kits, and i was wondering how streetable a turbo setup can be...i probably want to do a big single, somewhat like the X2C motorsports car...but then i heard the A/C must be removed..i was going to do a whipple..but most people who have high hp have a KB or whipple ...i understand the turbo route is $$ but i want something that not alot of people have, something crazy that will make awesome power...there is a local shop that does amazing custom fabricating and turbo work...and im wondering if i should just take it by them and see about peiceing together a kit..might be less $$..are there any personal experiences would be great..and how hard to you think it would be to get somethign like this going.....is there alot involved that i dont know about..usuall bolt ons will already be on the car..exhaust, x pipe, cold air, injectors, MAF, and a bad ass single turbo...looking to have a very streetable boost setting for pump gas maybe 10-15lbs...and then a high boost setting. how nasty would a terminator look with a front mount?? sorry for the long post guys...

Go turbo if you can afford it!

Users who are viewing this thread