Thinking about trading my truck in for a 5.0

Oceanside78

Established Member
I have a 2002 Harley Davidson F150 that I've been thinking about trading in for a 5.0. I really want to get back into a mustang but I'm concerned with what seems to be effecting so many 5.0s, the trans and cylinder #8. Probably going to look at a 2013 to try to get a better deal, definitely an M6, so what's the deal with them? Is this something that pretty prevalent and going to give me issues? I'm not looking to get something that's going to live at a dealership. Any insight is appreciated, thanks

ViciousJay

Established Member
If your worried then dont buy one!

im pretty certain you havent done your homework on these cars, gather your info and then make a choice.

Last edited:

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
If your worried then dont buy one! i think a ford fiesta is more up your alley

A little uncalled for...

OP, you should go for it. The transmission issue isn't as widely spread as it seems. I would go for it. Good luck!

Blazer707@TBR

Master Ford Tech
Authorized Vendor

im pretty certain you havent done your homework on these cars, gather your info and then make a choice.

Thats a dick answer.

OP, get a 13 and test drive a m6 and an a6 and see what you like before you buy. The auto is pretty much bullet proof and the m6 is good but a small percantage have issues.

-Thomas

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Oceanside78

Established Member

Thanks for the insight. Yeah, I have done my research. In fact, a local guy just bought one the 4th of April and has been at the dealership for 10 days now because of the tranny. Not my idea of enjoying a new car

Oceanside78

Established Member
Thats a dick answer.

OP, get a 13 and test drive a m6 and an a6 and see what you like before you buy. The auto is pretty much bullet proof and the m6 is good but a small percantage have issues.

-Thomas

Thanks, I saw the MT-82 in the 9's, so obviously they are capable. I've seen a bushing, short shifter and fluid change seems to resolve the majority of the issues

Oceanside78

Established Member
#8 isnt an issue anymore

i have 30k miles on my M6 with no tranny issues...some have issues within a couple thousand miles. seems random

DO IT!!

Has the issue with #8 been resolved? Was that primarily just with tuned cars or stickers as well? I'm planning on keeping it 100% stock, do sticky tires and suspension, and beat up on people in a stock 5.0

Coyote'13

"He gone"
Established Member
I have a 2002 Harley Davidson F150 that I've been thinking about trading in for a 5.0. I really want to get back into a mustang but I'm concerned with what seems to be effecting so many 5.0s, the trans and cylinder #8. Probably going to look at a 2013 to try to get a better deal, definitely an M6, so what's the deal with them? Is this something that pretty prevalent and going to give me issues? I'm not looking to get something that's going to live at a dealership. Any insight is appreciated, thanks

You probably already know that its a 3/36k bumper to bumper and 5/60k powertrain warranty. IF you can handle keeping her stock haha. The car in stock form is pretty fun. Issue of number 8 was a tuning issue that the tuners correctly already. <--this will void your powertrain most likely anyways.

Z25OH

WINGING IT
Established Member
do it OP, these cars are sooo much fun

and with some springs and a tune it feels like a sports car

Coyote'13

"He gone"
Established Member
If you drive a manual car....make sure it has the track pack! I drove both and the non track pack car drove like crap IMO. IF an auto make sure it has the brembo pkg which also has the tighter suspension setup

charba951

BOOSTTD
Established Member
A little uncalled for...

OP, you should go for it. The transmission issue isn't as widely spread as it seems. I would go for it. Good luck!

Thats a dick answer.

-Thomas

:lol: I thought that was him being nice! Tranny issue isn't that big of a problem. You just see more of it on the forums. Odds are your will be fine. The #8 was due to early tune development, And some circumstances where stock cars have leaned out.

Last edited:

pohnjarker

Established Member
Has the issue with #8 been resolved? Was that primarily just with tuned cars or stickers as well? I'm planning on keeping it 100% stock, do sticky tires and suspension, and beat up on people in a stock 5.0

it was a tune issue, regardless of stock or aftermarket tune.

ive heard of failures with both. but that was in the beginning and tuners, AED is my personal favorite, have it dialed in now.

Oceanside78

Established Member
If you drive a manual car....make sure it has the track pack! I drove both and the non track pack car drove like crap IMO. IF an auto make sure it has the brembo pkg which also has the tighter suspension setup

Yeah I test drove one without the 3.73s non track pack and I agree, it wasn't very impressive. I'm kind of spoiled though, my buddies car I ride shotgun with all the time for our Mexico runs is a low 700 turbo cobra lol one day it will get there

manolith

I Wanna go fast.
Established Member
Its not a tune issue. It is a design issue that has been patched via tunes. Op you should get it. This cars are a lot of fun. If you leave it stock you wouldn't need to worry about anything because the dealer will have to fix it. In all honesty you probably won't have any issues. As far as modding it.. well it is the chance you have to take. If it blows with mods you will need to fix it on your own. Same goes for every car on the road.

Oceanside78

Established Member
You probably already know that its a 3/36k bumper to bumper and 5/60k powertrain warranty. IF you can handle keeping her stock haha. The car in stock form is pretty fun. Issue of number 8 was a tuning issue that the tuners correctly already. <--this will void your powertrain most likely anyways.

I do, and plan to retain it

Oceanside78

Established Member
Its not a tune issue. It is a design issue that has been patched via tunes. Op you should get it. This cars are a lot of fun. If you leave it stock you wouldn't need to worry about anything because the dealer will have to fix it. In all honesty you probably won't have any issues. As far as modding it.. well it is the chance you have to take. If it blows with mods you will need to fix it on your own. Same goes for every car on the road.

Very valid point

Users who are viewing this thread