Thinking about upgrading my Whip, to a 2.9?

BigBeez03

MASH PAST >
Established Member
I'm kicking around the idea of upgrading from my current Whipple 2.3 to the new Gen 3 Whipple 2.9? What would I need in supporting mods, to make this work? See signature below for current set up. What kind of HP/TQ numbers are possible on the new 2.9?
thanks for feedback

BigBeez03

MASH PAST >
Established Member
Can you get e85 from the pump in WV?
I can but it's not common. I talked to my tuner and he didn't recommend when I told him i wanted to run both E85 and 93. So I'm thinking if I can run the bigger blower w/my current fuel system then it would be a relatively inexpensive mod per dollar (after selling my 2.3).

GNBRETT

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
how much boost u plan on running? Ur 2.3 may still be a better choice.

ShootyMCstabby

Brownie Hound.
Established Member
without a cheap race gas option to up timing your going to be throwing a good amount of money for little gain.

to give you an idea my car came with a 93+torco mix with 19* timing on 19# of boost made 640/590.

Last edited:

03terminatorcobra

Established Member
if you really want the 2.9, dont waste your time with pump gas. that blower needs to be spun.
run e85 full time and enjoy the benefits.

there are only a few stations around me and i dont mind making the drive knowing i can make 700 all day on a 2.3l whipple.

GNBRETT

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
Blowers are like Turbos going bigger isn't always better. That is a pretty big blower and without running a lot of boost for which 93 pump isn't gonna allow in its efficiency range I think ur wasting money.

U need to focus on maxing out ur 2.3 or go E85 which will require a fuel system. That Gen II is capable of a lot of power!

I wanna run the max boost I can safely run on 93 octane.

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
I talked to my tuner and he didn't recommend when I told him i wanted to run both E85 and 93.

Time to find a new tuner. If your fuel system is upgraded.....you can switch between 93 and E85 no problem. Have one pulley for an 18psi 93 tune and another pulley for a 22psi E85 tune. Terminators have been doing that for years....or more like a decade now.

GodStang

Established Member
Time to find a new tuner. If your fuel system is upgraded.....you can switch between 93 and E85 no problem. Have one pulley for an 18psi 93 tune and another pulley for a 22psi E85 tune. Terminators have been doing that for years....or more like a decade now.

Depends why he said he does not recommend it. Is it because the closest E85 is an hour a way and he has no place to store it so it is a waste of money. If it takes you a half a tank of gas to go get E85 and it is a car you drive often I don't know if I would recommend the dual tune either. I have had a dual tune since 2012 and have never put 93 in since the dyno for the tune. That tune ended up being a waste.

As far as the OP question if you are just swapping blowers than you will still be looking at 18psi for a good street tune. Your HP/TQ may increase slightly at that level but your power band may change and for "low boost" street use it may not be to your liking". So dollars to smiles may go down.

If you are able to easily get E85 or able to store it and can get a tune for 22psi or so then the whole game changes.

BigBeez03

MASH PAST >
Established Member
I'm taking notes guys, thanks for the responses! I talked to a local Cobra owner who told me the "Sheetz" gas stations in my area are going to all be adding E85 soon so now you guys have me reconsidering going to E85! What does this do to your milage, I've heard you use twice as much fuel as pump gas? Would I have to get bigger injectors if my goal is 700hp? (currently have 63lb inj) Opinions about the Budget Return Style system from Lethal?

My tuner didn't recommend E85 for a couple reasons: because of the limited availability, also I told him I would want a 93 tune & E85 and he didn't like that idea because he said even though your fuel gauge may say "E" you could still have some fuel in the tank that is not compatible with the opposite tune and could be harmful? Finally he said my mileage would take a hit as E85 uses a lot more volume than gasoline, 2:1 ratio?

PS - Happy Easter!

Last edited:

Iamchris

Shakey Snake
Established Member
I'm not a pro, I learn as much from others on this forum as the next guy. So only take this as reference, because regurgitating what I have found as I work on my TVS/E85 build

Your fuel system in your sig doesnt look E85 capable, first off. So you will probably need a whole fuel system, like the Lethal kits... but as soon as you go down that road you will have most people telling you to get Fore. You will need to bring injectors up to 80's for the larger volume too. That is to support the 2.9 on E85.

I had planned to pick up a 2.9 myself. I looked around and came across a great deal on a 2.9 Crusher and almost jumped on it but backed out. It seemed that to actually utilize the 2.9 Crusher I had to push the car pretty far, like over 750hp by the time I really started making it worth it. I only wanted to make 700, and TVS and even 2.3 guys were doing that already without much of a problem.
The difference in performance really wouldnt mean much to me, but it would for my budget because I think too much over 700hp and you should start looking at Magnum transmissions and built motors.
Like I said. I'm not the expert on these cars. I have been around here a long time and seen the problems people have. It seems to support the info I am repeating, otherwise I wouldnt repeat it.

So, if you want to chase 800hp... get the 2.9. If you just want a but more you are at a tough spot, it probably wont be much of a gain without a change in fuels. If you just want to tinker with the car, do some other work... there are plenty of ways to improve the car.

Iamchris

Shakey Snake
Established Member
Oh, you could wait to see some numbers on the 2.6 coming out. If efficiency has gone up, maybe you could get upper 600's on pump gas.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I'm taking notes guys, thanks for the responses! I talked to a local Cobra owner who told me the "Sheetz" gas stations in my area are going to all be adding E85 soon so now you guys have me reconsidering going to E85! What does this do to your milage, I've heard you use twice as much fuel as pump gas? Would I have to get bigger injectors if my goal is 700hp? (currently have 63lb inj) Opinions about the Budget Return Style system from Lethal?

My tuner didn't recommend E85 for a couple reasons: because of the limited availability, also I told him I would want a 93 tune & E85 and he didn't like that idea because he said even though your fuel gauge may say "E" you could still have some fuel in the tank that is not compatible with the opposite tune and could be harmful? Finally he said my mileage would take a hit as E85 uses a lot more volume than gasoline, 2:1 ratio?

PS - Happy Easter!
Find a different tuner. So many people have 93, e70, and e85 tunes. Currently I have 91 fuel with zero ethanol in it. I do this for winter storage.

If I run my tank down to to about a 1/8 of a tank with 91, then fill up with e70 I switch my tune to the e70 tune. Only thing that will happen with that little bit of 91 in the tank is my a/f ratio will be a little richer. Not a big deal.

Sent from my [device_name] using the svtperformance.com mobile app

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
From experience, if its gonna be on 93 pump, stay with a 2.3L unit

2.3 Whip > 2.9 Whip
2.3 VMP > 2.3 Whip or 2.9 Whip

2.9 Whip wins best looking under the hood :)

NateDogg

Terminator
Established Member
Stick with the 2.3 if you can get e85 or race gas.

Not worth the trouble/cost to run a 2.9 on 93 when you already have a reliable set up.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

ShootyMCstabby

Brownie Hound.
Established Member
I don't know why any tuner would not recommend e85.. its liquid gold.

E85 isn't always e85%. In MN e85 now is e74-78. And mid July it's e90. So I can see why a tuner would hesitate to recommend it to everybody. That said as long as your not running 23-25* of timing it should be fine if the % of gas/ethanol changes pump to pump and month to month.

NateDogg

Terminator
Established Member
E85 isn't always e85%. In MN e85 now is e74-78. And mid July it's e90. So I can see why a tuner would hesitate to recommend it to everybody. That said as long as your not running 23-25* of timing it should be fine if the % of gas/ethanol changes pump to pump and month to month.
Test at the pump and adjust accordingly. Problem solved.

Users who are viewing this thread