Thinking of selling the GTO....

FAT L322

Established Member
So when I initially bought my GTO in Late October of last year... It was a really tough decision...

LONG Version...

I have wanted a Terminator since they came out, and absolutely love them! When I bought to goat, one of the main things the persueded me to go said route was the fact that I had friends with Fast Termi's (CHINI, LaFave, Zinc03, the list goes on...) that I could ride/drive in. Well, now CHINI has sold his car, and a few other friends picked up new rides, and even though the goat is 100% more comfortable than the terminator... every time I ride in an 03/04... I just plain old DROOL over the driving/riding exerience... enough to the point where I'm thinking of ditching the goat and buying a Cobra... Anyways... I was just wondering what you guys think... I'm not and SVT n00b so I dont need to hear over and over about how "I wont regret it, ditch that GM peice, blah blah blah"... honest responses only... what do you guys think???

Cliffs Notes

Love the GTO, but just cant stop thinking about how bad I've always wabted a cobra... Question is: Sell GTO and Buy Cobra, or Keep my current Ride, and why/why not...

Thanks for honest responses!!!

btw... Its a 2006 Phantom Black LS2 pwrd 6spd car

ALSO... Some PPL with Cobras F/S in CA Chime in... I wanna see what kinda market I'm in for these cars right now...

TIA - Peter

vr4_007

Established Member
Well, please take this serious.
Keep the GTO and later on get the Cobra. Enjoy both. I was in your very situation with My Supra and wanted an 03/04 Cobra. I was practically giving the car away for 20k when it just hit me work my ass off pay off the Supra and Just get the Cobra. So I did and Im very happy right now with both and am glad no one came to look at the Supra.
So,.. Idunno. Hold off on your turbo kit enjoy the 400HP you have on tap, maybe a few "simple" bolt-ons and live out your warrenty. By that time the Cobra Prices "should" come down some making them more affordable.

If I had to pick one though, Id say the Cobra. To me the GTO looks a lil to much like a Saturn, and while the Platform is very impressive (the LS2 is no ****ing joke) I just can not get past the looks. Besides there are small things the get you with the Cobra. To me its the position of the drivers side hood vent and how it makes the hood look so muscular from the inside while driving and the faint sound of the blower around 2.5k

Best of luck and enjoy what you have though. Dont take it for granted, its a great ride.

03Termin8er

Boost Fiend!
Established Member
I actually own both a GTO and Cobra. I usually take the GTO on long drives or when I just feel like doing some semi-civilized cruising. The GTO is supercharged with a Maggie. At first, I was disappointed with the cobra considering how much faster the GTO felt with only 5 PSI. I bought the Cobra because of how much cheaper it is to make these things go insanely fast and how much potential these cars have.

Overall, I LOVE the cobra and I couldn't imagine life without it. There is nothing like feeling 14+ PSI rocket you down the street/track. If you can own both, do it!! I think it is the perfect combination of cars IMHO. Now with minimal mods, the Cobra is definitely faster and I really like how aggressive it looks compared to the GTO. The only two complaints I have about the Cobra over the GTO is the smaller interior (which is to be expected), and the clutch is like doing a leg press every drive. I would say that if you did get the twin turbo kit, that will be one hell of a GTO and you could even surprise some unexpecting Cobras too. Hope this helps.

Iamchris

Shakey Snake
Established Member
I test drove a Goat before I bought my Cobra, and its a different experience. The upside to the Goat is that the interior is very comfortable and excellent quality. Its the kind of ride you would like to take a date in. The car has enough sport and muscle to still be cool, but it is subtle. And as far as performance, it feels quick but also soft... its like accelerating in a plane, you know your picking up speed, but you don't feel it much.

The Cobra in comparison feels much more sporty, almost go-cart like. It also looks sporty and agressive and specifically I think the 03/04's have a touch of class. The interior is nice, but not top notch by any means.
The biggest sell on the Cobra is its performance... it hauls for cheap. I think you would be hard pressed to find a better performance car at a similar price and go mod for mod with a Terminator.
Mustangs have me hooked just for the feel. I wouldn't want to go without it, its fun and a rush, especially to hear the demon screaming at the top of its lungs while you flog it down a lonely back road and smile, holding on like your on the back of a dragon.
Its a primal feeling, you can keep your creature comforts in all these new cars... I want a sports car that is raw.

FAT L322

Established Member
Thanks for the awesome responses, guys!

I just want to clarify... If I went ahead with the TT Kit, then I would not consider buying a Cobra. It's either one, or the other... I just can't afford both (college budget)... but now I'm thinking about how damn stinking fast I could make a Cobra with the cash I have set aside for the TT's, and that's what is making it hard b/c this decision is based almost 100% on driving pleasure...

It sounds like you guys feel pretty much exactly how I do about the situation... (except the bit about the styling... I think its subtle but badass... as opposed to the most common "Is that a bloated Cavalier" LOL) anyhow... thanks for the great responses guys... keep em comin!!! :)

Last edited:

ViciousJay

Established Member
GTO no forged internals, running a TT will be very costly
COBRA = forged internals, slap a twin screw on and welcome 10 sec runs :)

gto's are great cars, but wheel bases int he rear, no styling are big disappointments.. i say look at your pay off on the GTO and ask yourself if its reallyl worth it?

99GTCONV

Established Member
It's kinda ironic that you wanna sell your cobra for a gto as I know someone that wants to do just the opposite. The cobra is impractical for a daily driver. It is small and cramped especially for anyone over 6 feet. The car is obviously capable of more horsepower than the gto with very few mods. Having driven both, I must say that the cobra is not as torquey if you will as the LS2 gto from a dead stop. The ls2 plants you in your seat unlike the cobra which more or less winds up and then takes off. I have a 03 cobra convertible right now, but also plan to buy a GTO in the near future. The GTOs are more practical, have more creature comforts, can hold more people when you are going out on the town and are no slouch with many owners going low 12s or high 11s. My vote is to contemplate your needs from a car and then go drive a cobra in comparison to your GTO and I would guarantee that unless the Cobra is modified it will not feel much if any fast than your current 6.0 litre GTO, You do have a M6 right?, if not the cobra will feel faster hands down with the 6 speed.

Last edited:

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
Well......I think you know the responses you're going on this question in a Terminator Forum. And it's probably safe to guess what your responses are going to be on a GTO forum.

All I know from my experiences at the track is that it takes a pretty stout GTO to compete with a moderately modified Terminator. And of course styling is all personal preference, but these two cars certainly take two totally different approaches to what a performance sports car should look like.

.n0b.

moar powa
Established Member
Iamchris said:
I test drove a Goat before I bought my Cobra, and its a different experience. The upside to the Goat is that the interior is very comfortable and excellent quality. Its the kind of ride you would like to take a date in. The car has enough sport and muscle to still be cool, but it is subtle. And as far as performance, it feels quick but also soft... its like accelerating in a plane, you know your picking up speed, but you don't feel it much.

The Cobra in comparison feels much more sporty, almost go-cart like. It also looks sporty and agressive and specifically I think the 03/04's have a touch of class. The interior is nice, but not top notch by any means.
The biggest sell on the Cobra is its performance... it hauls for cheap. I think you would be hard pressed to find a better performance car at a similar price and go mod for mod with a Terminator.
Mustangs have me hooked just for the feel. I wouldn't want to go without it, its fun and a rush, especially to hear the demon screaming at the top of its lungs while you flog it down a lonely back road and smile, holding on like your on the back of a dragon.
Its a primal feeling, you can keep your creature comforts in all these new cars... I want a sports car that is raw.

+1. couldn't have said it better myself.

i was also in this spot awhile back, when i owned my '03 GT. it was GTO, Cobra, GTO, Cobra. and i realized how much more potential the Cobra had and how much more i just loved the Cobra. looks sick, i think a lot better than the GTO. had no problem with the interior, speaking i owned a mustang already.

i figured, spending this much money. get what you want/love. which was the cobra. haven't looked back since.

BLACKVNM

Established Member
I didn't want to start a new thread for this, so I figured I would just post in this one.

I'm kind of in a similar situation. I'm torn somewhat as to what car to get in the near future. I have had both an 04 mach and an 04 GTO, so I'm not brand new to these cars either. However, I have not had the opportunity to drive a terminator. Factoring everything in - price, comfort, mpg, handling, power, etc..the whole package, which car would make a better daily driver?

Is the stiff clutch in the cobra enough to make you get a GTO as a dd?

Last edited:

JMD0346

Established Member
Why people dont just buy what they want is beyond me. I have friends that do that dumb stuff. They alwasy end up getting what they first wanted except they're usually upside down and pay more for it. Who gives a flyin fark what buddy has what? Its a 35K(when new) car. Get what you want!!!

BLACKVNM

Established Member
I don't care who has what, I'm just trying to get opinions from other people who may have been through the same situation or driven both cars. I don't know what I want, that's why I'm using this board to help me make my decision.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Iamchris said:

EXCELLENT comments! I agree 100%.

So Peter, it's really a personal choice dependent upon your goals, wants, budget and needs. If I wanted pure muscle and didn't car about back seat space I'd go for the Terminator for sure. The ride, by the way, in my Terminator was just fine. I never considered it harsh in any way. Actually I thought it was darned near a perfect balance between comfort and raw performance. If I had a family and needed to use the back seat frequently I'd probably go with the GTO. And consider, too, that most GTO owners probably don't do much more than an intake and exhaust change. Whereas the average Terminator owner does a lot more because there are so many easy upgrades. But all of those upgrades add to the cost of ownership. Tough choice to make, but what you need and can afford will probably shape your decision. JMO.

kirks5oh

kirks5oh
Established Member
i'll chime in, as i have both cars in question. the GTO does not feel as fast as my cobra did when it was bone stock (it's got a twin screw blower right now). the GTO is much, much more comfortable, rides like a luxury car compared to the cobra, and just plain makes for a better daily driver. the clutch is SOOOOOOOOOOO nice compared to the cobra's, and the car lulls at around 2000rpms at 80mph, while the cobra is 300rpms more (it is a VERY noticeable difference). the GTO seats are a lot more comfortable, the interior looks great, and you will not find more comfortable rear seats in a sports car. my GTO is stock for now, and like i said, is the PERFECT daily driver.

the cobra, on the other hand, drives a bit more "rougher" than the GTO. the car feels lighter, and more responsive when it comes to steering and overall acceleration--especially when passing cars in 6th gear on the freeway. the suspension is more firm in the cobra. the clutch is pretty hard to depress (50lbs of foot pressure), and will kill you in heavy traffic. the interior of the cobra is still very nice, but not as nice as the GTO. the cobra seats are great for locking you positively in place during cornering, etc., but will leave you with an aching ass, unless you're skinny, because the side bolsters are very firm, compared to the GTO. this is especially apparent on longer drives. and as you expect, the cobra is much, much more easy to mod, responds to mods better (pulley, intake, catback=450rwhp for $1200), while an exhaust system will set you back $800-900 for the GTO.

it IS a tough decision for sure. but i would say go for the cobra as long as you have another daily driver (it can be a cheapo, as long as its comfortable). if the cobra is going to be your daily driver, it will not be as worthwhile unless you need to drive to work VERY fast, and race people on the way to work all the time.

i used to drive my cobra to work on very nice days, every once in a while, but not any more. i LOVE driving the GTO to work now. but when i want to go out for a spirited drive, and do a couple blasts down freeway entrance ramps, nothing, i mean nothing compares to a twin screw cobra.

blair6389

Established Member
I daily drive my Cobra, i wouldnt want it any other way hands down, why buy a 30k car to let it sit in the garage, drive it while you still can...

Rick James

Got Brimley???
Established Member
Kysnake03 said:
I think you have the fever, and there is only one prescription !

More Cowbell???

To the OP, I drove an 04 GTO when I owned my 01 Cobra and was impressed with the comfort but not the power or handling. I realize yours has the LS2, so I am sure it is much quicker, but I just couldn't get into that car like I thought I would. My advice is to get the car you wanted in the 1st place. I wanted an 03 and settled for an 01 3 years ago. Eventually, I had to have the 03 and I wish I hadn't settled for the 01 in the first place.

Users who are viewing this thread