Thinking of trunk mount IC res

BADASS03SVT

Established Member
for you that have them, what exactly do you have for tank, pump, lines? still using the heat exchanger? how did you run the lines?

I cant find the info, but I would want the tank that has the 6" clear lid? preferably fits into the spare area and can still put the carpet over it.

pics would be awesome too...found a few searching but more is better!

iBiTe03

Established Member
im doing this for a winter mod along with a fuel cell. Im getting my setup from chiseled performance. they make a combo tank im gonna run. just an option

BADASS03SVT

Established Member
im doing this for a winter mod along with a fuel cell. Im getting my setup from chiseled performance. they make a combo tank im gonna run. just an option

you going pure drag? seems like it wont hold much fuel, 5 gallons maybe? where are you going to mount that?

Ive been emailing back and forth w/ Rob @ Chiseled today and they can do

14x14x5 which is 4.2 gallons

or

17x17x5 which is 6.2 gallons

both will fit in the spare tire well and still be able to fit the carpet over it.

also said they can put in their 1500gph/25gpm in-tank pump. not sure what I want to do. more fluid would be better but is 6 gallons really necessary?

and most are using the Meziere 136 pump. not much info on these Rule intank pumps. would make the install easier and cleaner, but prob a pain to swap out

iBiTe03

Established Member
you going pure drag? seems like it wont hold much fuel, 5 gallons maybe? where are you going to mount that?

Ive been emailing back and forth w/ Rob @ Chiseled today and they can do

14x14x5 which is 4.2 gallons

or

17x17x5 which is 6.2 gallons

both will fit in the spare tire well and still be able to fit the carpet over it.

also said they can put in their 1500gph/25gpm in-tank pump. not sure what I want to do. more fluid would be better but is 6 gallons really necessary?

and most are using the Meziere 136 pump. not much info on these Rule intank pumps. would make the install easier and cleaner, but prob a pain to swap out

yeah i was gonna get the 5 gal combo tank. i barely ever drive my car far so i figured 5 gal of fuel would be ok for me. i was gonna go for the in tank pump or just mount the pump they offer in a more serviceable location. as far as line i was gonna use the kind of water hoses they use for pools and such. go to eric stubbs 2003 mustang on their site. thats the line i was planning on using

BADASS03SVT

Established Member
yeah i was gonna get the 5 gal combo tank. i barely ever drive my car far so i figured 5 gal of fuel would be ok for me. i was gonna go for the in tank pump or just mount the pump they offer in a more serviceable location. as far as line i was gonna use the kind of water hoses they use for pools and such. go to eric stubbs 2003 mustang on their site. thats the line i was planning on using

look slike hose from Home Depot.

BADASS03SVT

Established Member
Guys, he is not putting fuel in the fuel cell. He is putting water in it for the intercooler.

he knows...Ibite is getting a dual setup. one side holds fuel and th eother holds IC water.

the good thing about that is the cold water will keep the tank cool which should cool the fuel some too

iBiTe03

Established Member
look slike hose from Home Depot.

yeah they sell that hose at like a local ACE hardware or whatever, thats just what im gonna run. like you said i dunno where i want to run the lines yet. was thinking about just running the lines somewhere through the inside of the car, but i dont want them to stand out and i dont wanna drill big ass holes in my floor either lol

BADASS03SVT

Established Member
yeah they sell that hose at like a local ACE hardware or whatever, thats just what im gonna run. like you said i dunno where i want to run the lines yet. was thinking about just running the lines somewhere through the inside of the car, but i dont want them to stand out and i dont wanna drill big ass holes in my floor either lol

yea looking at som eother setups I think Im going to stick w/ 3/4" heater hose. looks more insulated to keep the cold water cold and bends a little easier.

Ill deff be running it outside the car. prob right up w/ the fuel lines.

03cobra283

GO BIG OR GO HOME
Established Member
Jake I have been looking into this as well. Im going with a 8 gallon RCI fuel cell, with a second factory IC pump. The lines Im gonna use are 3/4 inch push lock from summit. I know a guy that has a 6 gal in his car and he said after his burnout, the IAT2s were 10 degrees colder then the outside temp of 90. Thats low for our cars on a hot day, and with the bigger capacity it allows for back to back runs with less ice down time and more consitent numbers if not better! Well everythings on order so I will let you know how it works out when its done in the next week or so.

iBiTe03

Established Member
yea looking at som eother setups I think Im going to stick w/ 3/4" heater hose. looks more insulated to keep the cold water cold and bends a little easier.

Ill deff be running it outside the car. prob right up w/ the fuel lines.

yeah. most likely ill be cutting my trunk pan out between the frame rails and welding in braces to mount the tanks and just make a cutout for the sump and the lines. ill just lay some aluminum panels down

BADASS03SVT

Established Member
Jake I have been looking into this as well. Im going with a 8 gallon RCI fuel cell, with a second factory IC pump. The lines Im gonna use are 3/4 inch push lock from summit. I know a guy that has a 6 gal in his car and he said after his burnout, the IAT2s were 10 degrees colder then the outside temp of 90. Thats low for our cars on a hot day, and with the bigger capacity it allows for back to back runs with less ice down time and more consitent numbers if not better! Well everythings on order so I will let you know how it works out when its done in the next week or so.

8 gallons! wow. i dont think anyone has gone that big.

Ive bene looking at a lot and I think Im going with a flush mount from Chiseled Performance

CHISELED PERFORMANCE WATERTANKS

you can get an IN TANK pump that flow 25gpm all ready to bolt in for $280ish. just takes 2-3 weeks to get it and itll fit under the stock carpet. hold either 4 or 6 gallons.

03cobra283

GO BIG OR GO HOME
Established Member
Yea, should have plenty of ice to last a very long at the track! I looked on Chiseleds website last night. It looks like they have some really nice stuff. Now with that in-tank pump would that work against the factory at all(not sure how the factory pump flows)? I like the idea of the plastic because of heat soak and beng in a hot trunk will help keep it a little cooler. The guy I know actually has a trunk mounted tank that is the size of the spare tire hole. It fits in perfect and i believe it holds 6 gallons. Im sure you could get Chiseled to make one, just looks like a big pizza.

03cobra283

GO BIG OR GO HOME
Established Member
Chiseled has some nice quality looking pieces. I may be returning my tank and pump setup for one of them!

BADASS03SVT

Established Member
Chiseled has some nice quality looking pieces. I may be returning my tank and pump setup for one of them!

haha

with the 25gpm pump, I wouldnt even use the stocker. Im going to run the factory wire back to the ne wpump so it works like stock and add a switch for manual overide.

Chiseled has 2 sizes for the trunk.

14x14x5 at 4.2 gallons and 17x17x5 at 6.2 gallons

the 14" will allow some room on the sides to get things in there but with the intank pump, i think Im going to try the 17" one. they are square, not round. the price is right too. and their lid is huge for nice ice loading.

Senkak

SVT Poster
Established Member
haha

with the 25gpm pump, I wouldnt even use the stocker. Im going to run the factory wire back to the ne wpump so it works like stock and add a switch for manual overide.

the 14" will allow some room on the sides to get things in there but with the intank pump, i think Im going to try the 17" one. they are square, not round. the price is right too. and their lid is huge for nice ice loading.

I'm going with a trunk mounted IC tank soon.
Finding this thread is very helpful!!
I believe the stock IC pump flows 5gpm.
Won't 25gpm be a bit much? Will the stock wire be enough to supply the new pump?

-

Last edited:

03cobra283

GO BIG OR GO HOME
Established Member
haha

Yea, I just sent them an Email. Im gonna see what he says about it. But I was gonna just keep the factory pump, just because its a long way to the front and then to be pumping water around in the intercooler and H/E would be a lil much on the pump sitting in the trunk? I was just gonna run a separt switch to control that pump or wire it in with factory one. The Lid is what has my attention!

BADASS03SVT

Established Member
I'm going with a trunk mounted IC tank soon.
Finding this thread is very helpful!!
I believe the stock IC pump flows 5gpm.
Won't 25gpm be a bit much? Will the stock wire be enough to supply the new pump?

-

I havent looked at specific's. was just oging by broke7s setup. I mean (here comes my area of no knowledge) the stock pump is supplied w/ a 12v source. why wouldnt it be enough? broke ran his to a relay, then a separate switch to the relay for manual operation.

is 25gpm too much? well....Im looking at it this way. the water in the tank is filled with ice. Id rather have the water flowing quickly and keeping the cold water flowing than have the water go slowly and give it more time to heat up? maybe Im wrong. thats the smallest they make i think though. that would be an interesting topic.

Im not sure what the Mez pump flows? i think its about the same and lots using that one

BADASS03SVT

Established Member
Yea, I just sent them an Email. Im gonna see what he says about it. But I was gonna just keep the factory pump, just because its a long way to the front and then to be pumping water around in the intercooler and H/E would be a lil much on the pump sitting in the trunk? I was just gonna run a separt switch to control that pump or wire it in with factory one. The Lid is what has my attention!

I would be worried about feeding the pump at that point. visually the outlet of the tank (bottom of spare tire well) is probably about the same height as the stock pump. thats a long way to go to hope it feeds.

over the years Ive been modding this car, the more simple it is, the better its seemed to work...for me.

there are no restrictions in the IC system so I dont see why a pump as powerful as 25gpm should have aproblem. Rob said they have done a few of them.

mu22stang

[_==[_=_][_=_3[_=_< /_=_\
Established Member
I believe if the waterflow is too fast, heat cannot be dissipated or absorbed efficiently. I'm not sure if 25gpm is at this limit, but it's worth noting I suppose. I have limited knowledge on this hardware specifically, but heat transfer is something of a tricky business. Good luck with the setup.

Users who are viewing this thread