Thinking of trunk mount IC res

BADASS03SVT

Established Member
I thought the same thing too, but then when I think of the 25gpm pump beeing in the rear of the car and pushing the water to through the IC then to the H/E that it would help get the water back to the trunk. I could be wrong, I just thought it may be needed. I guess it all really depends on the power of that 25gpm pump.

well I believe th eguys using a Meziere pump #136 is all they are using and thats a 20gpm pump.

03cobra283

GO BIG OR GO HOME
Established Member
well I believe th eguys using a Meziere pump #136 is all they are using and thats a 20gpm pump.

Well then as long as that Rule pump is good then it should be a good setup. Are you gong with there pump. I ended up getting the WT7 tank w/ pump. Would be nice to just run the power wire of the factory relay to the pump in the trunk for a factory operation.

03cobra283

GO BIG OR GO HOME
Established Member
I just did a quick search and it seems that Rule makes pumps for marine applications. The 1500 model that they are usng in my tank is a bilge pump for a boat.

BADASS03SVT

Established Member
I just did a quick search and it seems that Rule makes pumps for marine applications. The 1500 model that they are usng in my tank is a bilge pump for a boat.

yea I noticed that too...dont know if thats good or bad....

03cobra283

GO BIG OR GO HOME
Established Member
Well its a pretty big company that should stand behind there product. And the fact that it sits in the bottom of a boat and just pumps water all day, it should last. I think Im gonna just delete the factory pump and PFAB tank I have now. What sequence are you going to run the water, Im thinking from ice box, to IC, to H/E(if I keep that), Back to ice box.

BADASS03SVT

Established Member
Well its a pretty big company that should stand behind there product. And the fact that it sits in the bottom of a boat and just pumps water all day, it should last. I think Im gonna just delete the factory pump and PFAB tank I have now. What sequence are you going to run the water, Im thinking from ice box, to IC, to H/E(if I keep that), Back to ice box.

yeap..same

Tank, to pump, to ic, to he, back to tank

rw95gt

Yes, it's stock.
Established Member
good info guys. my only concern with the tank in the trunk is the water will heat up some by the time it makes it to the IC. if you run the line under the car it will be near the exhaust and out in the heat for a good 8 to 10 feet. i figure by the time it gets to the engine bay it wont be as cold as just running ice in a regular over sized IC tank thats in the engine bay. any thoughts on this? i have wanted to put a tank in my trunk for a while but i haven't because of this reason. i currently have a moroso tank in the battery location. i also have a meziere pump in the box waiting to be installed. i might put a tank in the trunk and delete the he if someone can convince my the ice water will stay ice water all the way to the ic.

BADASS03SVT

Established Member
good info guys. my only concern with the tank in the trunk is the water will heat up some by the time it makes it to the IC. if you run the line under the car it will be near the exhaust and out in the heat for a good 8 to 10 feet. i figure by the time it gets to the engine bay it wont be as cold as just running ice in a regular over sized IC tank thats in the engine bay. any thoughts on this? i have wanted to put a tank in my trunk for a while but i haven't because of this reason. i currently have a moroso tank in the battery location. i also have a meziere pump in the box waiting to be installed. i might put a tank in the trunk and delete the he if someone can convince my the ice water will stay ice water all the way to the ic.

you thinking too much into it. for one, you running the a/c? because with the windows up and the car running, its probably warmer IN the car than out of it. and two, all of you rlines now run in the engine bay. a line under the car is going to have alot more free air than that. its not enclosed under the car or surrounded by heat.

and think how fast thats flowing. 25 GALLONS per minute. thats almost half a gallon a second it pushing through the pump. i bet with the lines empty and the tank full, you turn that pump on and the water will be in the ic, he and back to the trunk in a few seconds. Im sure Ken could do a littl emath on length/diameter of the hose, but I bet its fast

rw95gt

Yes, it's stock.
Established Member
thanks man. your right i am thinking about it to much. i didn't realize the tanks are only $170 . my moroso tank was 200 lol. i just emailed chiseled performance. i will prob order a tank this week. im going to go with the 5.6 gallon tank if it will fit in the spare tire area and the carpet sit flat. i just need to decide how im going to run the line to the front. i guess the best route would be to fallow the gas lines. i may run it to the front against the pinch weld with some clamps this way its away from the exhaust. i would like to keep the he on the car because i do drive it on the street but not enough to really need it. i want to take it off the car also because it will get some weight off the nose of the car. plus lately all i want to do is run the car at the track.

BADASS03SVT

Established Member
thanks man. your right i am thinking about it to much. i didn't realize the tanks are only $170 . my moroso tank was 200 lol. i just emailed chiseled performance. i will prob order a tank this week. im going to go with the 5.6 gallon tank if it will fit in the spare tire area and the carpet sit flat. i just need to decide how im going to run the line to the front. i guess the best route would be to fallow the gas lines. i may run it to the front against the pinch weld with some clamps this way its away from the exhaust. i would like to keep the he on the car because i do drive it on the street but not enough to really need it. i want to take it off the car also because it will get some weight off the nose of the car. plus lately all i want to do is run the car at the track.

man I should get a discount. they have probably gotten 4-5 more orders just from this thread!

03cobra283

GO BIG OR GO HOME
Established Member

Yea, Im gonna be running mine along the side of my subframe connecters. Get your self some good thick hose and the water will stay cool all the way to the front.

stmz28

Established Member
Has any of you tryed out the killer chiller wouldnt that be better than a truck mount ic res.

rw95gt

Yes, it's stock.
Established Member
well im going to order my tank in the morning. im going to get the 14"x14"x5" tank for the trunk and im going to run a meziere external pump mounted in the trunk beside the tank. not sure if im going to use 3/4 heater core line or 5/8. i believe the fittings on the ic are 5/8. im going to take my he off the car because i rarely drive it on the street and i stay out of boost on the street for the most part. hell it sits in the garage all summer. cant wait to get to the track this fall!

iBiTe03

Established Member
group by would be cool. i would have to order my combo tank then. i will def be getting rid of my heat exchanger once i install mine. a lot of good info in this thread but its making my head hurt. i think people are thinking to hard about it

4sdvenom

Never Enough!
Established Member
well im going to order my tank in the morning. im going to get the 14"x14"x5" tank for the trunk and im going to run a meziere external pump mounted in the trunk beside the tank. not sure if im going to use 3/4 heater core line or 5/8. i believe the fittings on the ic are 5/8. im going to take my he off the car because i rarely drive it on the street and i stay out of boost on the street for the most part. hell it sits in the garage all summer. cant wait to get to the track this fall!

Use 3/4" hose. If you use a regular worm gear hose clamp at the IC, you can tighten it down to seal the 3/4" hose on the 5/8" nipple. Never had a problem with mine like this!

Ken

KONA BLUES

HORSEPOWER JUNKIE
Established Member
HP Performance makes a 1/4 Mile Cooler that you put in your spare tire well and comes with all the hardware for a clean install. It is a bit expensive @ $650, but takes all the guess work out of the equation.

Here is the link - HP Performance 1/4 Mile Cooler

To each their own, but I like the "STEALTHINESS" that this kit provides and the fact that you will still have a useable trunk.

BADASS03SVT

Established Member
HP Performance makes a 1/4 Mile Cooler that you put in your spare tire well and comes with all the hardware for a clean install. It is a bit expensive @ $650, but takes all the guess work out of the equation.

Here is the link - HP Performance 1/4 Mile Cooler

To each their own, but I like the "STEALTHINESS" that this kit provides and the fact that you will still have a useable trunk.

umm..the one we are getting fits under the carpet. is $280 for the big one w/ internal pump. just have to buy hose. plus it has a bigger lid for easier ice filling which in my experience with the vortech box, a bigge rlid will be really nice.

Users who are viewing this thread