Third Party Presidential debate

Mustang71

Did I say that out loud?
Established Member
I already posted this link the politics forum but I wanted to share this link with people who may not view that side of the website. This video is a debate between the third party candidates for President.

Former Governor of New Mexico, Gary Johnson, will be on the ballot in all 50 states come election day:

Third Party Presidential Candidates Debate - C-SPAN Video Library

This thread is not to debate the candidates but just to spread the word about this video, let people make up their own minds who they wish to be president but know you have more than just two choices

Last edited:

95riosnake

Established Member
Imagine how great it would be if a 3rd party candidate took down Obama and Romney... ah it would be a great day... too bad that will never happen. Too many voters are going to vote blindly for one or the other.

I really don't want another 4 years of Obama, but on the other hand I don't know if I am very excited about 4 years of Romney (his affiliation with Monsanto scares me, among other things). Neither candidate makes me feel good about the next 4 years for our country, and a third party will never get elected... sigh...

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
Imagine how great it would be if a 3rd party candidate took down Obama and Romney... ah it would be a great day... too bad that will never happen. Too many voters are going to vote blindly for one or the other.

I really don't want another 4 years of Obama, but on the other hand I don't know if I am very excited about 4 years of Romney (his affiliation with Monsanto scares me, among other things). Neither candidate makes me feel good about the next 4 years for our country, and a third party will never get elected... sigh...

If one of the 3rd party candidates can get 5% of the popular vote, I think that dramatically changes the direction of this country. Even if it means having to deal with another 4 years of Obama or Romney.

Ideally, one would be in office this next term, but that's certainly a long shot. However speaking hypothetically, if Romney were to be elected and suck, which he likely will, and you've got enough backing of a 3rd party. People are going to take notice and that gives me great hope for the next cycle.

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
oh i dont mean some arent decent...im talking the overall picture.

Yeah, I definitely know what you're saying. I don't like Virgil's immigration policies and I don't feel his ideas for the tax code are well researched. Specifically he kind of endorses the fair tax, but wants to propose changes to it that are actually already built in. Not to mention that kind of tax would solve immigration pretty much immediately by encouraging immigrants to become documented so they could get the prebate if they are low wage earners. Otherwise they still pay the nominal rate.

SCBQQSTN

Established Member
I think we all know Gary is going to spoil the election...... woohoo, another four years of Obama, awesome.

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
I think we all know Gary is going to spoil the election...... woohoo, another four years of Obama, awesome.

That's yet to be seen. They've studied this and they've found that Gary draws votes about equally from both Obama and Romney. Here in Colorado he actually draws more votes from Obama supporters. Probably because Obama outright lied about his drug policy concerning "not shutting down medical marijuana facilities in states that have legalized them."

Medical marijuana saved Colorado from the recession. We were able to continue to fund government programs and keep education afloat amidst falling income tax revenues and higher government obligations. Mostly in part due to the taxes on medical marijuana.

Obviously, people here are a bit ticked off about being lied to specifically about that. There have been many high profile raids on dispensaries and grow operations here.

Anyway, the point being is that he may not actually play a "spoiler" role because he doesn't cut in to just one of the main candidates. He cuts in to both and he rightfully should.

He's more liberal than Obama on social issues and he's more conservative than Romney on fiscal issues.

65fastback2+2

Established Member
That's yet to be seen. They've studied this and they've found that Gary draws votes about equally from both Obama and Romney. Here in Colorado he actually draws more votes from Obama supporters. Probably because Obama outright lied about his drug policy concerning "not shutting down medical marijuana facilities in states that have legalized them."

haha ya...everytime someone says this I post the studies where a libertarian candidate actually increases romney's chances to win, but you know, people dont pay attention to the truth. they just want to repeat bologna.

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
It's a nice idea but at this point in our history a vote for a third party really is a wasted vote.

No, a wasted vote is a vote for somebody you don't believe in. Voting for a candidate you believe in is exercising your power as a citizen.

This type of thinking is the reason we have a duopoly in the first place.

Remember, a vote for the lesser evil is still a vote for evil.

BOOGIE MAN

Logic and Reason
Established Member
I enjoyed watching this debate more than any of the other presidential/vice presidential debates.

"The little guys" sure had some great ideas.

I have a lot more faith in these guys than the "big two."

I'm still going to write my vote in for Ron Paul. The question is, who do I write in as his running mate? Maybe I'll do Paul and Putin

delvin.a

Established Member
No, a wasted vote is a vote for somebody you don't believe in. Voting for a candidate you believe in is exercising your power as a citizen.

:beer:

GloomySVT

LolUMad?
Established Member

Don't bother, he swings from Romney's testicles like no other.

jarryd2018

Established Member
I'm hoping I can make it back home to vote since I didn't change my address in time to vote in this election from my current address. I want to vote Gary Johnson and see him get 5% so the libertarian party can be in the debates and receive full coverage next time around.

Sonic605hp

Resident Prick.
Established Member
I do? Wrong, I just know the reality at this point is that a 3rd party candidate has 0% chance of being elected. I do however feel strongly that Obama is very bad for the future of the America I want to live in and the only other choice is Romney. He's not perfect, far from it like any candidate, but Obama's policies IMO will keep pushing us toward the downfall of our great country so my choice is easy.

Don't bother, he swings from Romney's testicles like no other.

Users who are viewing this thread