This IceyRes thing has me curious..

dragon40k

Established Member
With the constant drain of power from running the condenser wouldn't you do just as well to put a slightly larger pulley on it? You are running a 2.76 right?
Seems like that thing might work for drag racing since you can run the condenser up to the point where you get on the line and then shut it off so you don't drain power. Just my opinion of course.

wheelhopper

Established Member
^:dw:

Dragon40K, not sure what you're saying there.

It does sound like a good concept, except for the condensation loss. But, would it be that bad to make a difference in traction on track. I guess it would just take 1 bad problem from it, and then no more A/C use on track.

dragon40k

Established Member
^:dw:

Dragon40K, not sure what you're saying there.

If I read the links correctly this is essentially using your AC condenser to lower your IAT's by running the AC though the heat exchanger coolant? Seems like a mod to prevent power loss due to high IAT's. But would that lower the overall engine temps? Do lower IAT's=lower engine temps? Is it IAT's that cause heatsoak or engine temps?
I figgure if you are going to run the AC to lower your IAT's you could prevent heatsoat by running a slightly larger pulley, and save your $600 or more in the process.

Either that or I'm way off base and need to :read:

wheelhopper

Established Member
I don't think that such a small change as 2.76 to a 2.93 would make a difference. maybe if it was a 3.1 or larger. But then you lose a lot of hp. And that sucks.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
I've read a little bit about the Killer Chiller, and I would assume this is the same or very similar, at least in functionality.

It is, in fact an IAT2 temp dropper. I would not expect cooler engine coolant temps.

I can't afford this mod right now or I would be sniffing around for results from sustained running.

I think it just may be viable for open track. Just don't run the a/c with an instructor in the car or on the grid or in the pits.
Once we are moving pretty good, I seriously doubt a few drops of water every 64.7( :rollseyes ) yards is going to be a safety issue or be detectable by safety workers.

If you are going real slow or are parked, by all means, SHUT IT OFF!

A possible "cooler IAT2 potential mod" that I can afford would be switching my lower intake manifold to cyl head bolts over to stainless steel.

We know that elevated engine coolant temps can also elevate IAT2s though heat transmission from the heads, into the lower intake, and into the blower/intercooler assembly.

Stainless steel is a very poor conductor of heat.

The intake gaskets are some kind of plastic, which is also a very poor conductor of heat, this is by design, no doubt.

So why not compliment the insulating qualities of the gaskets with intake bolts that transmit much less heat than the normal steel ones?

Venomous01

Building Boost
Established Member
Would love to hear RaceBronco's thoughts.

Steve was looking for an open tracker to run one and datalog the drop in IATs.

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
I've read a little bit about the Killer Chiller, and I would assume this is the same or very similar, at least in functionality.

It is, in fact an IAT2 temp dropper. I would not expect cooler engine coolant temps.

I can't afford this mod right now or I would be sniffing around for results from sustained running.

I think it just may be viable for open track. Just don't run the a/c with an instructor in the car or on the grid or in the pits.
Once we are moving pretty good, I seriously doubt a few drops of water every 64.7( :rollseyes ) yards is going to be a safety issue or be detectable by safety workers.

If you are going real slow or are parked, by all means, SHUT IT OFF!

A possible "cooler IAT2 potential mod" that I can afford would be switching my lower intake manifold to cyl head bolts over to stainless steel.

We know that elevated engine coolant temps can also elevate IAT2s though heat transmission from the heads, into the lower intake, and into the blower/intercooler assembly.

Stainless steel is a very poor conductor of heat.

The intake gaskets are some kind of plastic, which is also a very poor conductor of heat, this is by design, no doubt.

So why not compliment the insulating qualities of the gaskets with intake bolts that transmit much less heat than the normal steel ones?
If you really think the officials would get on you for running the AC (depends on the group you're running with), then I'd shut it off a lap or two before pitting.
Lest everyone collects around your car pointing out all the leaking of fluids (condensation).
BUSTED! :nonono:

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
If you really think the officials would get on you for running the AC (depends on the group you're running with), then I'd shut it off a lap or two before pitting.
Lest everyone collects around your car pointing out all the leaking of fluids (condensation).
BUSTED! :nonono:

Excellent point! It will take a bit to thaw and dry off.:beer:

Silverboost

Established Member
I have the Killer Chiller on my car and it works excellent. My intercooler fluid temps will get as cold as 44 degrees sitting stationary idling. Without it on they will get over 100 degrees. The Killer Chiller and Icey Res do nothing for reducing the engine temps, only the IAT's. They will help you substain your power by fighting off heat soak. Under WOT the air conditioner actually turns off, but you can control this either through your tune or by playing with the vacuum pressure on the a/c itself. In an autocross event this will greatly help you guys. You can prevent a lot of the condesation issues by insulating all the lines and you can have your a/c drain go into catch can to prevent leaking on the track. If you want more info on this product then I would recommend that you contact Joe@Killer Chiller. His website is http://www.killerchiller.com/. He is a great guy that will take the time to educate you about the system.

Venomous01

Building Boost
Established Member
That Killer Chiller looks nice! Comes with a gauge too. Very clean install.

Only thing the Icey Res has on it is size (pro and con) and coolant volume.

racebronco2

Established Member
Would love to hear RaceBronco's thoughts.

Steve was looking for an open tracker to run one and datalog the drop in IATs.

I have been quiet til now, i have read here and other forums. I don't think it would work well while open tracking. Compressor will be on all the time, taking away hp but cooling the iat's which gives me more power.
It's a trade off but how much if any power would i gain?
Is the compressor capable of running at high rpms for 20-30 minutes at a time?
The beginning of the session it would work great but can the ac system keep up for 20 -30 minute sessions?
The compressor will put more of a load on the engine and it will use more fuel.
For the cost of the system installed, the added gas it would use would it be cost effective?
If it does give me more power how much warmer is the engine going to run?
I for one would like to see some datalogging, not on a car that the driver doesn't push his car. How many times have we heard people say "my car never goes into limp mode in 100 degree weather" Only to meet the guy on track and he one of the slower guys whom doesn't rev it up past 5000rpms.

LargeOrangeFont

Raise your fist in resist
Established Member
I have been quiet til now, i have read here and other forums. I don't think it would work well while open tracking. Compressor will be on all the time, taking away hp but cooling the iat's which gives me more power.
It's a trade off but how much if any power would i gain?
Is the compressor capable of running at high rpms for 20-30 minutes at a time?
The beginning of the session it would work great but can the ac system keep up for 20 -30 minute sessions?
The compressor will put more of a load on the engine and it will use more fuel.
For the cost of the system installed, the added gas it would use would it be cost effective?
If it does give me more power how much warmer is the engine going to run?
I for one would like to see some datalogging, not on a car that the driver doesn't push his car. How many times have we heard people say "my car never goes into limp mode in 100 degree weather" Only to meet the guy on track and he one of the slower guys whom doesn't rev it up past 5000rpms.

You aren't talking about me are you?? :beer:

I agree, I don't think this would be worth it for a open track car. IATs are not really the problem out on the track. Those of us that push it on the track have already optimized our setups such that we do not see excessive IAT2 temps anyway. The cooler would undoubtedly lower our IAT temps more, but the added complexity, weight, and drain from using the AC outweighs the benefit in my mind.

racebronco2

Established Member
You aren't talking about me are you?? :beer:

I agree, I don't think this would be worth it for a open track car. IATs are not really the problem out on the track. Those of us that push it on the track have already optimized our setups such that we do not see excessive IAT2 temps anyway. The cooler would undoubtedly lower our IAT temps more, but the added complexity, weight, and drain from using the AC outweighs the benefit in my mind.

Of course not. It's another one of my track friends. I've ridden with him and i don't remember him even flooring it going onto a long straight, and then he puts it in 5th and will not go over 90mph. He has told a few times "I don't know why you guys waist your money on cooling mods when you don't need them". I try not ridding with him, it reminds me of riding with miss daisy.

Venomous01

Building Boost
Established Member
Well... I'll tell you all this. It definitely works to cool the I/C coolant. Steve showed it to me at the RET dyno day. He did about 3-5 pulls on the street, then pulled in it was warm, but started to get cold, real cold... ice water cold.

I am considering it, but have concerns with load on the compressor and additional electrical load (I run a lot of electrical gauges). Sometimes I feel like if you mess around with a car too much it will hate you. However it definitely works and I am discussing data logging this with Steve on my car to see what results I get.

racebronco2

Established Member
On the street or at the drags it would work just fine. Greg did some testing a while back on ice water for his intercooler and got really good results, the lines were run into the trunk where he had a big reserevoir (ice chest maybe).

Venomous01

Building Boost
Established Member
I have been skeptical of a couple things:

- Load on the compressor
- Load on the electrical charging system (I run a lot of electrical gauges, a diff cooler setup and a in dash navi... lots of demand from the electrical system). I monitor changes in the voltage all the time and never go WOT unless the system is at an adequate output. As some recall many Cobra motors have blown as a result of owners going WOT at less than a 12 volt output. Basically the pumps or BAP doesn't get enough power to supply enough fuel and a lean condition is caused. There's more to it though and HBH has posted a lot of data on this subject.

With that being said my feelings are the more you mess with your car, the more you increase the chance of having an issue. However, this system definitely works to cool the I/C coolant. I'm not talking cool, I'm talking freezing cold as cold as a glass of ice water... and it gets colder.

I did a couple minimal tests, like seeing if the A/C was still blowing cool and strong in the cabin, which it was - check.

I am extremely anal about my Cobra, hence the gauges allowing me true insight into how the car is performing. I can catch IAT1, IAT2, Charge temps, ECU Coolant temps, etc... Many of these gauges can alert me to I/C pump failures far before the engine gets hurt. As such I would like to datalog this kit and post my findings. While Steve and I have known each other for a while I'm neutral when it comes to this kit and can post good or bad on my own findings if I decide to participate.

I'd really like to see a few things.
- Change in IAT 1&2 as well as charge temp from normal operating to when the system is turned on?
- How quickly the change in temp occurs?
- How low does it get the I/C temps?
- Dyno Results?
- Effect on Voltage when activated? How much? I turned on my A/C full blast like Steve had when showing the kit and saw a .3 to .4 drop in volts with my lights on. The A/C definitely uses volts...

Now Steve has positioned me with an option of working with him to get these results and I'm close to agreeing to do so. The kit works, but as with anything prolonged effects should always be in question.

I will again say this... the kit works for what it is intended to do. Cool your I/C and reduce your IAT temps... and as it's on it cools to a frigid degree. Dave mentioned 40 degrees, but I'd honestly dare say it started to get colder then that. Well done Steve... I look forward to seeing more datalogging and will possibly take you up on your offer to help. It is much easier then buying a bag of ice and pouring it into the I/C reservoir, when all you have to do is run your A/C.

Whether it's better for drag or street or has a minimal effect on open track applications remains to be seen. I do agree with Carlos that it does look like it would be better for drag and street, but think... If you monitor your IATs on track and see increasing IATs all you have to do is drop to a high gear turn on the A/C for a short period of time and watch your IATs drop quickly. Giving you back the power you lost. Not only that, but when in the pits inbetween sessions you can run it before your next session and cool you're IATs to a very low level.

Might decrease the amount of limp mode terminators we're seeing for you hardcore drivers.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread