This IceyRes thing has me curious..

LargeOrangeFont

Raise your fist in resist
Established Member
Im sure of 2 things with this setup with regard to using it for OT events.

1. I'm sure it works.
2. I'm sure it will break or cause something more expensive to break.

Edit - I'm sure of one more thing:

It won't get you around the track any faster.

Last edited:

Venomous01

Building Boost
Established Member
Im sure of 2 things with this setup with regard to using it for OT events.

1. I'm sure it works.
2. I'm sure it will break or cause something more expensive to break.

Edit - I'm sure of one more thing:

It won't get you around the track any faster.

That's the fear of tinkering with it.

Last edited:

racebronco2

Established Member
Confidence in your car is a big part in going fast. Before i did the hood mod i always had to pay attention to the engine temps (above 85 degree). It was such a relief after the hood mod to not have to look at the temp gauge and pay attention to driving, only had to look at the temp gauge on the straights.

Whether it's better for drag or street or has a minimal effect on open track applications remains to be seen. I do agree with Carlos that it does look like it would be better for drag and street, but think... If you monitor your IATs on track and see increasing IATs all you have to do is drop to a high gear turn on the A/C for a short period of time and watch your IATs drop quickly. Giving you back the power you lost. Not only that, but when in the pits in between sessions you can run it before your next session and cool you're IATs to a very low level.

Most people don't look at their iat's. If you do drop to a higher gear those cars you just passed will now be passing you and when your iat's do drop you be passing them once again. Keep the engine temp down and the iat's will be lower. Now if you wanted to make some really fast laps and come in after that it would work great.

The other problem i see is running with the ac on the engine will run hotter only because the radiator will now be getting warmer air then ambient because it needs to cool of the ac condenser first.

Venomous01

Building Boost
Established Member
Hmmmmm.... I think I my shy away from this then. Could lead to issues.

Carlos, any Streets of Willow Events scheduled for the weekend (Sat/Sun) coming up? Everyone I've seen lately have been for a Friday.

Last edited:

LargeOrangeFont

Established Member
Hmmmmm.... I think I my shy away from this then. Could lead to issues.

Carlos, any Streets of Willow Events scheduled for the weekend (Sat/Sun) coming up? Everyone I've seen lately have been for a Friday.

Roval at California Speedway on 11/22-11/23 put on by Speedventures.

I'll be at SOW on 10/24.

racebronco2

Established Member
Roval at California Speedway on 11/22-11/23 put on by Speedventures.

I'll be at SOW on 10/24.

The roval is what i'm getting my car ready for. The big day will be sunday. I am organizing to get some of us together for some rolling starts like we did earlier this year. So far in our group there are 5 c6zo6's, 2 c5zo6's, 2 cobra's, one shelby, and talked to the viper guys this weekend and they tell me that about 5 of their guys are interested. There will alot of hp out there. I must have a good showing or else they will never let me live it down, even though us mustang guys are not thought of being able to compete with the above 500+ hp monsters.

racebronco2

Established Member
The roval is what i'm getting my car ready for. The big day will be sunday. I am organizing to get some of us together for some rolling starts like we did earlier this year. So far in our group there are 5 c6zo6's, 2 c5zo6's, 2 cobra's, one shelby, and talked to the viper guys this weekend and they tell me that about 5 of their guys are interested. There will alot of hp out there. I must have a good showing or else they will never let me live it down, even though us mustang guys are not thought of being able to compete with the above 500+ hp monsters.

Sorry for the off topic.

LargeOrangeFont

Established Member

So you will be out there Sunday? Whatever day you will be there, Steve and I will attend.

racebronco2

Established Member
I'll be there on saturday and sunday, but will be instructing on saturday only. If you guys are planning on going let me know so i can post another track info corner by corner. I hope you get some better pads this time.:poke: I would be good to see you guys.

LargeOrangeFont

Established Member
I'll be there on saturday and sunday, but will be instructing on saturday only. If you guys are planning on going let me know so i can post another track info corner by corner. I hope you get some better pads this time.:poke: I would be good to see you guys.

Yea I'll be ready.. I have rotors, Going to order pads and change them out after SOW in 2 weeks.

Steve and I will probably sign up next week. I'll let you know what day. It will be good to see you as well!

racebronco2

Established Member
Yea I'll be ready.. I have rotors, Going to order pads and change them out after SOW in 2 weeks.

Steve and I will probably sign up next week. I'll let you know what day. It will be good to see you as well!

I'm only running my car on sunday, if you are going on saturday i might be able to help you guys out between beginners sessions but they usually have me help people with line work also. In the morning i am really busy but in the afternoon i'll usually have time.

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
the guy who makes these systems for me got the idea from another local road racer who had a similar system in his Lightning that he used to road race. im working on getting more info but i do know what he was from Dukes Racing and used to road race his Lightning quite a bit and used a similar a/c system in his truck with good results.

as for any other parts breaking because of it? like what? the a/c compressor? its not going to put any more strain on the system than normal a/c usage would (cant speak for actual racing). vehicle a/c systems are designed to work for millions of hours of usage. and lets say that it did shorten the lift of the a/c compressor. whats a new/rebuilt one? $200? if you had to replace it after a few years of usage, that's a small price to pay for the tremendous cooling advantages from this system. its not tied into anything else, so there isnt anything else for it to break. the a/c compressor is belt-driven. even if your a/c system suddenly failed for some reason, it wouldnt affect anything else on your car. and if anything, this system will actually help prolong the life of your motor.

i have a good friend who used to road race his terminator. he said that very quickly the car would suffer from heat soak and fall flat on its face from the power loss. i dont see how preventing that would be a bad thing? :shrug: if youre pushing the car hard, there's no way your blower is going to cool down on its own. and how long does it take to cool down when youre sitting in the pits?? and for what? 5-10 minutes of non-heat soaked driving time in your next session?

it cracks me up that some guys are willing to spend $$$$$$ to make their cars faster and then worry about "possibly braking" a $200 part (in the long run) in order to make their cars run better. why not worry about the super expensive tires getting worn out or brake pads or possibly damaging your motor?

the system works extremely fast. if you see your temps starting to rise, you can quickly turn on the a/c too cool it back down to normal, then shut if off. you dont HAVE to leave it on the entire time. within a few minutes (literally) it can have your boiling hot intercooler fluid back down to cool temps, while still driving.

as for the comment about the system not helping you get through the track any faster. of course it would if your car is no longer suffering from heat soak. :idea:

but of course, as usual, everyone is quick to shoot down a new product and do bench engineering as to why think it wont work without even giving it a try. :shrug:

racebronco, id be willing to put one on your car (no charge) for you to test out at the track and see if it makes a difference. you like it, you buy it (at cost) if not, no problem, we just remove it and thank you for your time. :)

LargeOrangeFont

Established Member
Here is the deal Steve. Heatsoak and high IAT2 are not really a problem for us. The problem is keeping coolant temps in check. The issue is that the more HP you make, the hotter the engine will run. Also more load (like running the AC) will make the car run hotter. This added heat could throw some of us into limp mode. You product is unique, and may mitigate this problem. The cooler blower may keep temps from rising, and let the blower pull some heat from the heads.

I don't think you are going to get any resistance from us regarding the functionality of the product. Like I said, I'm sure it works great, and most will agree with me. The question then becomes, do we use this product as a safety net for our current setup, or use this to allow us to run more boost on the track. If we use this product and then add more boost, if something fails on track at minimum the car goes into limp mode, Worst case the engine pops.

If we just add this to our current setup, and it fails, most likely nothing at all will happen while on track. IAT goes higher, but that is about it. In both cases any HP gained using the product only really comes into play on the straights.

I'm speaking regarding the majority of us here, at the novice-intermediate level. The Carlos's of the world my think differently about the extra power.

TroyV

Brakes only slow you down
Established Member
Sorry for the off topic.

As the OP, I forgive you. :)

The reason I was curious about this was less about added HP and more about keeping temps under control. This car makes more than enough power to rip Formula Atlantics in the straights....not sure how much more power one needs.. :)

This is just a thought, but maybe if the rad hoses were re routed to the box instead of the IC hoses there could be a benefit to dropping the engine temps, but I think the consensus you guys have provided is correct......the compressor probably wasn't designed for this kind of extended high load use.

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
but I think the consensus you guys have provided is correct......the compressor probably wasn't designed for this kind of extended high load use.

you guys need to fill me in here on what you think is "extended high load use". this system isnt going to make the compressor work any harder than the factory designed it too. :shrug:

and again, as pointed out previously, you can turn it on momentarily to bring your IAT2 temps back down or use it during your breaks.

i hope i dont sound defensive or jumping all over people here. i appreciate the honest and open discussion with everyone. i just think someone needs to give it a chance and try it out before shooting it down. that's why i offered putting one on Racebronco's car. we can put it this saturday carlos, and you can test it out on sunday. if you find it to not be valuable to you, we can remove it the following weekend. no harm no foul :beer:

TroyV

Brakes only slow you down
Established Member
I'm not saying the device you designed does not work as intended....not at all. I'm just saying that it suffices that the AC compressor probably wasn't designed with extended high rpm use in mind, not necessarily the function of the res box.

I could be grasping at straws but, isn't there a function by which the compressor shuts off when the car is at WOT? I think I remember reading that somewhere. In theory, if this is so, then the cooling effect would only be happening during off throttle times.....as in the braking zones, and any part throttle use. When there is traction, my foot is to the floor.

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
I'm not saying the device you designed does not work as intended....not at all. I'm just saying that it suffices that the AC compressor probably wasn't designed with extended high rpm use in mind, not necessarily the function of the res box.

I could be grasping at straws but, isn't there a function by which the compressor shuts off when the car is at WOT? I think I remember reading that somewhere. In theory, if this is so, then the cooling effect would only be happening during off throttle times.....as in the braking zones, and any part throttle use. When there is traction, my foot is to the floor.

yes. its in your stock tune. your a/c automatically shuts off during WOT. it is defeatable by custom tuning though, not that you'd want to.

racebronco2

Established Member
Taken from an old post back in july of last year.
" datalogged in 107 degree weather
Beginning of the run it was
iat 114* ect 200* iat2 137*

The end of the run high numbers
iat 114* ect 226* iat2 161

now if you average the numbers"
iat 113.5* ect 215* iat2 152.

Another old post from the same month.
"datalogged today in 102 degree weather
It seems from datalogging that engine temps effect iat-2's more then outside temps. If engine temps were over 200* iat-2's were over 130*.If temps were under 200* iat-2 were under 130*. I did not include any temps if the rpms were under 3000 at the beginning( pre-grid) or at the end(cool down lap and driving to the pits). I am using the time line on the predator ;

averages iat-1 ect iat-2
12000 - 27000 106 189 129

30000-45000 104 188 127

48000-66000 102 190 127

69000-84000 104 200 134

87000-105000 104 207 144

108000-126000 105 210 147"

racebronco2

Established Member
I thought that it would be a good idea to have the compressor kick-in when either braking or under a certain rpm. I looked at two of my video's to see how much time i am really at partial throttle or braking. At willow springs it would be a total of 36-46 seconds but the longest amount of time is 12 seconds and the least amount of time is 4 seconds at a time. At auto club speedway in-field is 32 seconds with the longest amount of time at 9 seconds at least amount of time was 3 seconds.

I did read some more in other threads. I will need to relocate my battery, unless the cooler can be mounted on the passenger side under the bumper. The drivers side has an oil cooler under the bumper as do a few of the other open track cobras.

Steve,
Need to think about taking up your offer, really don't want to relocate my battery.

racebronco2

Established Member
This car makes more than enough power to rip Formula Atlantics in the straights....not sure how much more power one needs.. :)

How about 505hp c6zo6's, 600hp viper's.

Would like to know for sure on the temp drop vs hp. I saw in one post 10 degree drop=1%hp. If that is true then a 450hp cobra would gain 4.5 hp for every 10 degrees.

Steve,
I don't see why you can't duplicate on track running on the dyno. 1 lap at most tracks is around 1:30 to 2 minutes. I could give you appoximate rpms. Now that is a datalogging session i would like to see. How do you have your hooked up, wot turned of or just a switch?

Users who are viewing this thread