This is how I wish your '03 could launch...

Joe Lynch

Established Member
Elapidae--I didn't get a movie of the 1.43. The pics are of 1.51-1.53 second 60's. These were stills captured from a video. These are from the first two weekends of Test and Tunes. The surfaces were not really prepped/biting good yet. In other words, the car will 60' about 0.1 faster than shown later in the year. I'm not complaining, however. Here's one of a 1.47 from November....

http://www.anythingcars.com/users/jlynch/pen1130launch.jpg

Joe

doubleblack

Established Member
Joe, I'm wondering if a fatso 03 could ever pull the wheels up like that w/ an iron block...any guys on here w/ a built live axled 03?

E. Green Cobra

Bounced in the 1st!
Established Member
forget the hook on that thing-I love the way it sounds, absolutely killer! (I caught a vid a while back, the 1.47 I believe), Bob Cosby's sounds just as wicked-nothing better soundin than a 4.56,geared 4v leavin hard.

Joe Lynch

Established Member
Thanks for putting up with the pics, gentlemen. I'm just so glad the drag strips opened back up, I can't hardly stand it.

The 60' time and the wheel poppin height and duration is power limited on this car. I had exactly the same setup before the nitrous system was commissioned. At the local track--at 3000 feet altitude--I could hit 1.61-1.63 60' times with the stock motor on motor alone. No spin, just hump and get it.

With the juice, the 60' times dropped another 0.15-0.19 seconds on a 100 shot depending upon how good the air was, that is, how much power the engine could make on motor. On a cool night with good barometric pressure, the best I got was a 1.43. Let the barometric pressure drop and the temp warm up, and I was at a 1.50-1.53.

My point is that a car that will put out 450 ft-lbs of torque or so at 4000-5000 rpm and weighs 3400 lbs will launch like this one, 60' time-wise. Now, the lift on the front end is another matter. My car has no front sway bar, light wheels and tires, an AJE crossmember, BBK longtubes, and an all aluminum engine. An '03 is going to be more of a challenge. A stock 99 is a challenge.

Joe

NetworkingGuru

Established Member
Joe,

Just curious, but what was the best 60' you got out of the car while still using the IRS, and how much time/money did you have to invest (and keep investing, due to broke parts) to get there? Also, how much different is the car around curves with a live axle? I am resisting the live axle due to my experiences with my Z28 (it broke loose with ZERO warning when going around undulating curves).

Joe Lynch

Established Member
NetworkingGuru--At this altitude, the typical 60' I could get with the IRS was 1.77-1.83 on motor, best was a 1.73. I broke 4 times after putting in aftermarket halfshafts. All on 26x11.5/16 ET Streets and on motor, with a 4.56 gear. It was an engineering exercise, as my car was the test mule for GKN on the Stage 1,2,3 halfshafts. I bought the parts, by the way.

My plan for 2002 included going to a power adder and I concluded that the IRS would not survive any power adder, so I installed a built 8.8" live axle early in the year, got it all working very well before going to the nitrous system in the Fall. The live axle swap cost me $2500 including the aftermarket parts, but I re-used my 4.56 ring and pinion. First time out, the best 60' was 1.61, in conditions that I would have been lucky to do a 1.81 with the IRS.

So 0.2 for the IRS is my estimate of the effect. It would be more than that for a power adder, since I was traction limited with the IRS and I am power limited with the live axle. There is no way I could ever do a 1.5x with an IRS, no matter what the power level, on the surface I can routinely do 1.51-1.53 with the live axle.

There are several reasons. The 15" tires plant better than 16" tires. The live axle is 85 pounds lighter. And, most importantly, the live axle can PLANT the tires whereas the IRS cannot due to the geometry.

I gave the IRS my best shot. I'm over it, and have moved on. A live axle isn't for everyone, but it is a necessity for even a "somewhat serious" drag racer.

Joe Lynch

BLACK SUNSHINE

Established Member
Joe, I am looking into a live axle swap for mine. I am curious why no one seems to be going to a Ford 9". Is the built 8.8 just as good, or does it cost more to modify the 9" to make it fit the Mustang platform?

94SVT Coupe

Ford Fanatic
Established Member
Originally posted by BLACK SUNSHINE
Joe, I am looking into a live axle swap for mine. I am curious why no one seems to be going to a Ford 9". Is the built 8.8 just as good, or does it cost more to modify the 9" to make it fit the Mustang platform?

A 9" is overkill. It's pricey and it weighs a lot too. The larger and heavier ring and pinion will just slow you down. The 8.8 can be built about as tough as you need it and it just bolts right in.

The downside to the 8.8 is axle retention. The 9" is much superior here. Once you go too fast at the track, you'll need c-clip eliminators for a 8.8". Those are not safe for steet driving IMO(cornering).

The 9" takes care of that by retaining the axles at the ends of the tube. Some places will graft 9" axle tubes to a 8.8" center to get the best of both.

The 9" has alot more gear ratio choices though.

Joe Lynch

Established Member
I agree with 94SVTCoupe on the 9". Nice but not necessary. I've had the 8.8 apart after 105 launches and it looked brand new.

Yes, I touched up the photos, and did a crummy job on the wall24 trying to get a little contrast between the shadow and the wheel. I'll fix it tonight. But the pic is real. Here is a video from last year and a still from that video if you are interested....

http://www.anythingcars.com/users/jlynch/pen1130.mpg

http://www.anythingcars.com/users/jlynch/pen1130launch.jpg

If I have time and site space, I'll put the mpg of the launch from the other stills on tonight.

Joe Lynch

Users who are viewing this thread