This is what happend with OEM driveshaft when having some power! SQUEEZE

Heddde

Established Member
Driving with oem driveshaft for some time now with 700hp+ but one weekend the luck run out.
Was lining up for some burnout (in water) on the street in Sweden.
Reved up 4-5k released the clutch and....PAboom Scramble Scramble gearshifter was moving all around.
I was thinking WTF!?, hope its not the gearbox....Got it in first gear wasnt going anywere, 2nd same. Shuting down the engine, got help of the street.
Going out, looking under the car. No driveshaft hanging down hmm.
Was dripping something on the ground from under the car!! OH NOO its oil, the gearbox are done!!!.........oh wait its just water from the AC! :pepper:
Got it to a garage, looking up and i see THIS! :rockon:
21cd186.jpg

27x0tt.jpg

2wp4dup.jpg

Last edited:

Black Sex

Established Member
You're lucky it didn't F-up your floor pan. I'm surprised the tube failed before the weld or u-joint

Heddde

Established Member
Ye should have bought one-piece long time ago.
And like you said lucky i wasnt doing 120mph when it happend.
I dont know what got first joint or tube. Because like you see both is broke!

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
Everyone talks a lot of trash on the stock drive shafts, but rarely do we see examples of failed units. So this is nice to see (though unfortunate for you).

I twisted my DSS aluminum shaft too, just not nearly as bad as that. So even the one-piece shafts aren't fail proof.

Heddde

Established Member
Yes should say that i have run this car with this power and 20" 305 at the rear for nearly a year on road. Not driving nice so its not so bad i think :)
You got some power in your machine i see ;)

Last edited:

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Everyone talks a lot of trash on the stock drive shafts, but rarely do we see examples of failed units. So this is nice to see (though unfortunate for you).

Exactly what I was thinking.

It looks as though it twisted at the front u-joint first. As it twisted it got shorter. As it "shrank" it pulled open the cv joint in the middle of the car. That's quite a failure!

SCGallo2

Balanced performance
Established Member
Premium Member
OP, thanks for posting. I always wondered how much power the stock pieces could really handle, just didn't want to find out on my car. Now I am off to buy stock in driveshaft companies since your post will likely boost sales!

Heddde

Established Member
OP, thanks for posting. I always wondered how much power the stock pieces could really handle, just didn't want to find out on my car. Now I am off to buy stock in driveshaft companies since your post will likely boost sales!

I was gessing you guys would like to see this also. This happend for some weeks ago and today i was thinking maybe put it up here :)
Happy that you like it :)

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
I talked to Heddde about taking a very close look at the new shaft when he gets it. That is a long way to ship with the hopes that everyone is fairly gentle with it...

cstunkard

Established Member
Premium Member
Exactly what I was thinking.

It looks as though it twisted at the front u-joint first. As it twisted it got shorter. As it "shrank" it pulled open the cv joint in the middle of the car. That's quite a failure!

I have one that did the exact same thing. 4,000 rpm launch on drag radials. Twisted the front, pulled apart the cv joint, ugly indeed.

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
I have one that did the exact same thing. 4,000 rpm launch on drag radials. Twisted the front, pulled apart the cv joint, ugly indeed.

This isn't directed at you necessarily, but when parts like this fail, I would like to see people post them up. That way we can really look at the true weak points on these cars. There is a lot of riff-raff out there on parts that people are replacing as weak, when in reality, they're plenty strong. And vice-versa, parts that people need to be replacing because of potentially dangerous failures, but word just isn't getting out there.

NightRide

Roll Racer
Established Member
Glad to see it didn't do more damage, another reason you can't just bolt up a tvs and go on an otherwise stock car.

breoland

Established Member
The beauty of have a carbon fiber driveshaft is that it shatter into pieces instead of twisting metal

Silver_Serpent

Established Member
Wow! Now cut it in half with a saw and measure the thickness of the wall of the shaft for us!
Also, it looks like you lost a nut on one of your shifter fasteners.

SuperFly03

Established Member
Pretty sweet failure given it didn't do more damage. I just got a one piece myself at 700rwhp... Glad I did.

Users who are viewing this thread