This will be the fourth time (gears)

CobraJazz

drive it everyday
Established Member
There has been a problem after about two years each time. First was 4:10's. Then twice with 4:30's. I don't race the car. I have the stock differential and axles. Different installers each time.

Am I that unlucky? Or is there something else I should be looking at.

Steve

94venomV8

Established Member
Sounds like you need to take it to a good shop to me. If you have metal shavings that is pretty bad! I could see a little whining with a high gear, but shavings and stuff means either you have other problems, or the shop(s) plain suck and you need to spend the money and go somewhere good!

MKSVT

Dosen't Wheel Hop
Established Member
Sounds like you need to take it to a good shop to me. If you have metal shavings that is pretty bad! I could see a little whining with a high gear, but shavings and stuff means either you have other problems, or the shop(s) plain suck and you need to spend the money and go somewhere good!

+1, Or stop buying used gears...:D

94venomV8

Established Member
I set my own gears up to spec and I have never had any noise, shavings or anything. The only thing I did have is the normal little metal gunk from new rearend parts. I have put in many gears anywhere from stockers to 4:56 and everytime they have been quiet and lasted as long as I left them in. Never had any problems. If they are setup right there is really no reason to take them out unless you want different ones or something breaks in the rearend and messes them up.

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
could be other parts, bent axles or tubes, something else is likely causing the issue, you may need a whole new rear to solve the issue.

whtcobra1998

Jet Powered
Established Member
may need to remove complete diff and clean complete housing,set up all new parts and run a solid pinion crush sleeve as the stock one doesn't hold up and cause your issue other than having a rookie do your gears

wheels2004

Established Member
sounds like you have more problems than you think
i would take everything out and inspect. even take out bearings and seals and start from stratch with all brand new parts
sounds like things are not shimmed right

did you replace axles and bearings yet??? what is the mileage on car??

CobraJazz

drive it everyday
Established Member
sounds like you have more problems than you think
i would take everything out and inspect. even take out bearings and seals and start from stratch with all brand new parts
sounds like things are not shimmed right

did you replace axles and bearings yet??? what is the mileage on car??

I have had a rebuild kit that ford sells each time the gears have been out. The car has 135,000. I haven't replaced the axels. Everything was fine when it was stock. Is it possible that something got bent when the first set of gears went in? Would it take a couple of years for parts to wear out if something was out of alignment?

If I could get a complete rear end from Ford set up with the gear I want I would probably do it. I have seen that ford sells 3:73 complete rear ends, but nothing higher than that.

Right now I am hesitating to do anything until I have some idea of what the problem is - either bad installs or something else.

I appreciate the advice guys.

Njc0las

Detective John Spartan
Established Member
Are they motives? I hear motives are known for being noisy and shitty. My friend had some motives and they were loud and shitty ha. FRPP FTW. I've never had any issues with my 4.10s.

Users who are viewing this thread