Those who HAVE changed a headlight switch

Blown4v

Just Another Sell Out
Established Member
I know this is stupid, but I just bought a new headlight switch and cant get the actual shaft (that the knob slides on) out of the old one and into the new one.

Is there a trick to this? Was the new one supposed to have a shaft?

Help is needed quickly. Thanks

Blown4v

Just Another Sell Out
Established Member
got it thanks, pushed the knob with spring down and came right out. Thanks again

Blown4v

Just Another Sell Out
Established Member
Well, it didnt fix my problem...

got the switch changed but instrument cluster is still dark. Connector is not melted at all, and tail lights work fine. What next?

ksigatmsu7f02

Established Member
I'm not sure on that....are there no lights at all on the dash or are they just dim and not brightening? If none at all check fuses, wires....try to find a diagram to see which wire feeds the switch and which feeds the dash from the switch and test them....run 12v to the feed to the dash to check to see if they come on...it will help isolate the problem to a certain portion of the system...

I'd start a new thread though so that you can get the problem answered directly rather than through this one with the current title

Blown4v

Just Another Sell Out
Established Member
i read that thread, my dimmer is part of the actual headlight switch, which is new

crazycarlo

Established Member
Blown4V- while the headlight switch does make ur lights dim the auto stores like Advanced and Napa all call the Blinker switch the dimmer switch. I dunno why but thats what when you look it up. So while the other switch actually dimes the lights you may want to check into the other switch.

ksigatmsu7f02

Established Member
Blown4V- while the headlight switch does make ur lights dim the auto stores like Advanced and Napa all call the Blinker switch the dimmer switch. I dunno why but thats what when you look it up. So while the other switch actually dimes the lights you may want to check into the other switch.

The dimmer switch you are referring to is the headlight dimming switch as in brights or low beams.....not the dash lights as he is talking about....that is why the blnker is often referred to as a headlight dimmer switch at many auto parts stores....it dims the headlights

He is having dash light problems which are controlled by the tunrning of the knob which turns along the rheostat which can be seen at the front of the headlight switch in the dash.

Users who are viewing this thread